Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:24 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First real range trip with the new T/C R22

The weather and my schedule finally cooperated and I got the new R22 to the range for some 50 yard ammo testing with a new scope on it. Other than a very quick function check with this rifle at 25 yards in January, I haven't been to the range since sometime in November. And it shows.

I shot five 5-shot groups each of CCI SV, SK Std+, Norma Tac 22, and Federal Gold Medal Target. Results below.

CCI SV – 1.18”
SK Std+ - 0.85”
Tac 22 – 1.54”. (two groups with one flyer each, otherwise 1.15”)
Fed GMT – 1.84”

Not exactly stellar shooting. I could blame some of it on ammo inconsistency, some of it on not shooting for several months, and part of it simply on my technique. Or lack thereof. I may have been a little handicapped by shooting it immediately after shooting my CZ 452 FS, which was also wearing a new scope. While the trigger on the CZ seems fairly heavy, that doesn’t seem to affect my ability to shoot it. And the CZ seems to shoot better from the bags thsn the T/C, being a bit heavier. So going to the lightweight T/C was distinctly different. I have not yet mastered the proper technique for shooting it, but I will improve as warmer weather settles in.

Despite today’s range results, I like this rifle.

I did have one odd occurrence today when loading the T/C magazine. The seventh time I was loading it, I somehow, don’t ask me how, got the first round into the mag but behind the rotary follower. It didn’t plop back out, and I found I could continue to load the other 9 rounds with no issue. And the rifle fired those 9 rounds too. That improperly loaded final round just stayed in the mag but out of the rotation for another two mags worth of ammo. I figured I would have to take it apart to get the errant round out, but No, that wasn’t necessary. I finally turned the mag upside down, shook it a bit until the nose started to barely tip out, pried it out a bit further with a small screwdriver, and then finally got a small pair of needle nose pliers around the upper part of the case and it simply popped right out. Whew! I’m still not sure exactly how I got it into the mag like that in the first place. So, you T/C R22 owners be sure to carry a small screwdriver and set of needle nose pliers in your range bag. I’m glad no one else was at the range to see it….
Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 PM
Ceapea
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice report!
I have one too. I like it quite a bit. I have only used the aperture sight so far. I tend to like them better than scopes for 50 yd and under, which is where I usually find myself shooting most of my 22 rifles.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM
blake711

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is possible to get a shell in behind the rotor if you don't have the bolt hold open lever pushed all the way down on the first round. It is a pain to get it out but you figured it out. Turn it over and shake it. Both of my kids have done it along with a couple other friends that I have let shoot mine.

I bought a couple other mags to go with mine. You will eventually have to clean them. Just watch T/C video on it on their website and after the first time you can clean and reassemble in a few minutes. Personally I think these little guns are great for the money. You would spend a lot more making a stock 10/22 into this gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 10:14 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
Personally I think these little guns are great for the money. You would spend a lot more making a stock 10/22 into this gun.
Agreed. Especially since I ended up paying less for it than my basic wood-stocked 10/22 carbine, has features the 10/22 doesn't, and in my opinion, seems to be better built and finished. I look forward to shooting it more. I'm sure the group sizes will come down as I get used to shooting it off the bench. Love the light weight too.