Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Springfield 1922 M2 rifle build

Iíve recently bought a nice Springfield M2 with the Lyman sight that unfortunately has been slightly altered, [made it affordable]. The original looking stock seems ok with cartouches except for a notch for a low bolt handle. The rcvr has been neatly drilled and tapped for a .22 scope mount so the bolt handle was altered and an aftermarket safety installed to clear the vintage scope. It came with the original safety, a sight hood and a second magazine along with the scope, rings and mount. I believe that itís been lightly refinished. I want to put it into an aftermarket military 03-A3 Springfield Ďcí stock with a handguard. I just got a NS M2 bolt handle from fleabay but its missing the small lock screw for the headspace screw. Does anyone know the size-tpi of this set screw? Or have one to sell? Should be an easy build as Iíve just remilitarized my Ď03 Springfield sporter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCE1F87F-35B0-4FE8-8E67-F58101370E19.jpeg (358.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Baltimoreed11754; 11-07-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There were three variations of headspace adjusting screws and locking screws. Does your adjusting screw have a straight slot or allen-head? If it is an allen-head, it uses the copper locking screw. The copper locking screw is not threaded. You simply screw the softer copper screw into the threaded hole of the locking lug until tight, then cut it off level with the surface of the locking lug. Numrick Gun parts sell them.

If it is a slotted adjusting screw, there are two versions and I would need to see it to determine which one it is.

Go to this link and order the 3rd type headspace adjusting screw and copper locking screw.

Numrick Gun Parts, Springfield M2

Art

Last edited by Artd; 11-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Art, it is slotted, has a grooved section and the small set screw’s hole is threaded. The grooved part is in line with the side hole on the bottom of the lug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ED22E854-8B34-46F2-BD26-2D4C2AD7D01C.jpeg (454.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It is a type 2 design.

I do not have the screw dimensions, but you can get one at S&S Firearms.

Type 2 Locking Screw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headspace Adjusting Screws.jpg (62.1 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Art, found them, will order a couple tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Artd, my headspace screws have arrived. What is the correct way to headspace a Springfield M2 trainer?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
How to Adjust Headspace

First, lets review 22 rimfire headspace specifics. A 22 rimfire headspaces off the rim of the cartridge. Referencing SAAMI drawings, you will find cartridge and chamber specifications. Focusing on just the headspace dimensions, the cartridge rim maximum thickness is .043" with a tolerance of - .007" or a minimum thickness of .036". The rifle's chamber dimensions are .043" MIN and .051" MAX. Typically a rifle has better accuracy with a tight headspace. I measured some of my different match and practice ammo and the average rim thickness was .040" +/-.001. Thus a .043" chamber dimension appears ideal.

Here is the correct method of adjusting headspace. First you will need a GO headspace gauge with a rim thickness tolerance you want to adjust to. I would use the .043" MIN measurement. Gauges run about $30 - $45. You do not need a NO-GO gauge because you will be adjusting the headspace to a known dimension using your GO gauge.

1. Ensuring your rifle is unloaded.
2. Cock the bolt and engage the safety.
3. Remove the bolt.
4. Unscrew the bolt sleeve assembly and remove the striker assembly.
5. Remove the extractor and ejector from the bolt head.
6. Reassemble the bolt head to the bolt handle. Do not insert the striker assembly.
7. Adjust the headspace screw so the it flush with the bearing surface of the lucking lug. I recommend you use some blue loctite on the headspace screw. This will allow you to test-fire your rifle before adding the copper locking screw.
8. Insert the GO gauge into the rifle chamber.
9. Insert the bolt and slowly close. It should close completely with no resistance. Note: Never force a bolt close on a headspace gauge.
10. Remove the bolt and gradually adjust the headspace screw until the bolt will NOT close on the GO gauge.
11. Open bolt and remove Go gauge.
12. Ensure bolt closes easily on an empty chamber.
13. Reinsert GO gauge and adjust the headspace screw so the bolt just closes on the GO gauge. Again, no force. It should easily close.
14. Remove GO gauge and reassembly the bolt assembly. Ensure the fully assembled bolt closes easily on an empty chamber. Do Not add the the copper locking screw until you are satisfied with the headspace adjustment.
15. With the gun pointed in a safe direct, ensure the bolt closes on a live round. Test with the safety on and off.
16. Unload, packup and head to the range to live-fire your rifle. If satisfied, install the copper locking screw and cut off flush to the lock lug.

The alternative procedure is:

1. Ensure your rifle is unloaded.
2. Take to your local gunsmith.
3. Discuss the tolerance you want.
4. Take to the range and test.
5. Install the copper locking screw.

Last edited by Artd; 11-19-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Art, but could I use an unfired .22 case with the bullet pulled, case cleaned out and refilled with jbweld? My thinking is that the jbweld would make the case pretty solid getting under the rim and filling the case. Not as good as a steel gauge but it might work. Jb weld is pretty solid stuff. Not like we’re talking about a .300 win-mag here. I measured some of my Aguila target rims and they were .043-.044. But I’ll still ask around to see if I can find a gauge. If things ever dry out again I’ll put it on paper. I’ve just been shooting steel offhand from my deck. I’m going to like this rifle. One more question, I have found aftermarket triple k M2 mags for sale, are they any good? Luckily my rifle came with two real M2 mags but it would be nice to have a couple more. Guess I’m spoiled with my Black Dog mags that hold 25 for my dedicated AR cmmg .22. Another sweet shooter.

Last edited by Baltimoreed11754; 11-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
You can try an un-fired case. You just need to be aware that the brass rim can crush easily, so you really need to have a feel for when you begin to contact the rim of the case. You could measure the rim after making your adjustment to ensure it has not been crushed or you could find a case with an over-sized rim, say .045", and adjust the headspace until the rim is compressed to .043"

The main problem with brass is it's malleability. It is meant to be somewhat elastic.

The good thing is this is a robust action for a 22RF so incorrect headspace will be more of a accuracy issue then a safety issue.

The Triple-K mags are a crap shoot. Some work just fine, others need to be tweeted, some just never work right. As the man says" You pays your money and takes your chances."

Art

Last edited by Artd; 11-19-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Yesterday, I happen about an article discussing the implementation of the new adjustable M2 bolt. It reference internal Springfield correspondence specifying that M2 bolts would be adjusted for a headspace of 0.043".

Art