77/22 Magnum Range Report - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77/22 Magnum Range Report

I took my 77/22 Magnum to the range for only the second time today. In its first trip it showed a lot of potential. I took some different ammo with me this time. I had a 10-15 MPH breeze coming from about 430, so I wasn't too hopeful I'd get any good groups out of it. I also took my 10/22 magnum and my brand new American Predator 22 Magnum. The 10/22 magnum continues to impress me with the 30 grain V max bullets. It delivers sub MOA all the way out to 100 yards with regularity. I tried Aguila Silver Eagle and it gave me a 3/4 inch 8 shot group at 50 yards. I was happy with that. It will not shoot Federal 50 grain bullets. They are all over the place.

The Predator didn't really impress me. It wouldn't extract the Aguila brass. Groups with 30 grain V max were large. It seemed to like Winchester 40 grain JSP stuff the best giving me about 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 50. In fact that load was the most consistent across all three rifles.

The 77/22 magnum shot it into .6 inches at 50 and the 10/22 shot it into .7 inches. The 77/22 did not like the Aguila load. None of the rifles were great with the CCI A22 and none were terrible. I need to try it again on a calm day. When I launched the 50 grain Federal load out of the 77 it hit about 3 inches low at 50 yards, but showed promise. I dialed it up and promptly delivered this .5 inch 5 (yes five) shot group at 50. The 77 proved to be the most consistent of the three rifles.

The 77/22 magnum has a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution with the Accurange reticle on it. It's a circle X reticle with an additional dot below the circle. I tried a 100 yard group with the Federal 50 load using the intersection of the circle and the vertical wire. DEAD ON at 100. The group opened up to an inch and a half, but again there's better accuracy to be had on a calm day. That will be this rifle's load!

Someone mentioned on the "Can a 77/22 be Made as Accurate..." thread that their 77/22 makes them smile when the handle it. Indeed mine does too. The gun just feels right. It feels substantial and it feels quality. It's a good looking rifle too. Not to tempt any of you, but CDNN still has some for $499.

Last edited by Dranrab; 01-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 AM
fish4food

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice!

Always wanted one, just never could afford one.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 PM
wds88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So that is group is from on of them on cdnnsports? I've been tempted to buy one of them already, that group about seals the deal for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM
ayetee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
I love to handle my 77/22 in 22mag but I hardly ever shoot it for it can do no better than 3moa at 100. Wish it shoots like yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010033b.jpg (89.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:57 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wds88 View Post
So that is group is from on of them on cdnnsports? I've been tempted to buy one of them already, that group about seals the deal for me.
Is that right? CDNN. New 77/22 in 22mag? Wood stock? Time is not right for me. I dont know why I even ask? Well, I might pass the idea along. In that case, I want to minimize the odds of appointment. As much as I could.

Because, if nothing else; the 77 reputation has been all over the map for accuracy. They always look and feel nice. I have seen used examples at Cabelas for 1000. Then, cableas prices are all over the map - just as much as 77. That $500 price has to be a bargain.

The 77 issues maybe specific to certain 22 hornet and 44mag in general. I dont know how much variation is to be expected with the 77 rimfires. I am not asking about any of that, given the forum. I only wish clarification: is the gun tested a recent CDNN purchase and that is the exact same model as remains in stock.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM
mmpsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ayetee, that sure is a pretty one. There's lots of threads about getting better results. That one looks like it would be worth the effort.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wds88 View Post
Sorry I missed this post. I didn't get mine from CDNN, but it is the same model they are selling. It's really hard to go wrong for the price.

Get it and report back! They only have 13 left and they are selling fast.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/77-22-22m...U#.WqcrHiinFD8