Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM
tsbccut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 75 Sporter Bolt Issue

I have a very clean late Model 75 Sporter that shoots like a dream. The bolt (matching s/n), however, binds slightly when cycled. I can see nothing obvious when comparing the inside of the receiver and the bolt with another Sporter. I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed the bolt and receiver, and both appear spotless to my old eyes. Any thoughts and ideas will be welcomed.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM
jag2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím guessing you didnít do any take down of the bolt. Iíve read itís not a good idea so I havenít thought about doing it. What I would do is really flood it with a good cleaner (Kroil or CLR) and blast it with an air compressor. Might do it a couple of times. No guarantee but that is where I would start.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM
daisyman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UHmm, didn't the OP just say he "thoroughly clean and lubed the bolt"? Just sayin'
Irv

Last edited by daisyman; 12-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM
daisyman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jag2
Ya know, I probably shoulda put my brain in gear before engaging my speaker.
I also have a 75 Sporter that I took out for a test shoot a month ago. I've had this gun for 22 years and never shot it. (my bad). Mine was spotless too, but also got some non fires from light strikes on the rims. I sprayed a little special gun oil in the bolt that's made by a friend of mine that he markets , and after maybe 20 rounds or so, it worked as it should. Your advice was good, mine looked clean, but was evidently gummy on the inside from so many years of setting.
Irv
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 AM
tsbccut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyman View Post
jag2
Ya know, I probably shoulda put my brain in gear before engaging my speaker.
I also have a 75 Sporter that I took out for a test shoot a month ago. I've had this gun for 22 years and never shot it. (my bad). Mine was spotless too, but also got some non fires from light strikes on the rims. I sprayed a little special gun oil in the bolt that's made by a friend of mine that he markets , and after maybe 20 rounds or so, it worked as it should. Your advice was good, mine looked clean, but was evidently gummy on the inside from so many years of setting.
Irv
Guys,
I disassembled the bolt and cleaned it up before I shot the rifle for the first time. It's as clean as it can be.......
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbccut View Post
Guys,
I disassembled the bolt and cleaned it up before I shot the rifle for the first time. It's as clean as it can be.......
Post war Winchesters were not made as well as the pre wars. Quality went down. Maybe it's a factory goof up. Big Larry
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbccut View Post
Guys,
The firing pin stop pin may have gotten off-centered with the bolt disassembled and the bolt handle is catching when it is rotated.
BTDT.
You'll have to disassemble the bolt enough to pull the bolt handle off again in order to re-center the pin.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM
tsbccut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
The firing pin stop pin may have gotten off-centered with the bolt disassembled and the bolt handle is catching when it is rotated.
BTDT.
You'll have to disassemble the bolt enough to pull the bolt handle off again in order to re-center the pin.
Thank you 3Dub......I'll check it out.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Carney Pace

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 52R was binding when cycled, Magazine was bad. Aftermarket magazine. Put in Winchester magazine and all binding stopped.

Carney