Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:22 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Probably one of the most sage pieces of advice I have seen here, to which I subscribe. Unfortunately, I consider myself batting 3 for 4 on the main points. Some of my scores prove that I occasionally don't know what I'm doing.

Hoot
Heck, never place blame on yourself! It's the ammo, it's the wind, it's the gun, it's the sun moving behind a cloud (or out from behind one), it's someone talking too loud behind the line, it's someone who's walking by 10 feet behind you, it's the type of powder you're using to coat your front or rear bag, it's the fact that your hotel room wasn't up to your standards....

See, those are just off the top of my head!

Honestly, it's rimfire. Nothing makes sense sometimes. Have seen people shoot targets that just blow your mind, and then on the next target, with the same gun, ammo and conditions, they can't hit a bull in the butt. I would never assume how someone shot one target in a match as an indication on how good or bad they are. Not saying I haven't stunk up the joint throughout an entire match, but sometimes things just go crazy on one target and all you can do is hang on tight and hope you don't get thrown into the weeds.

Kenny
Old 08-06-2019, 04:09 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There have been some stretches where Ive thought about selling it all and taking up golf....but I hate playing golf more than I hate my sometimes patterns rather than groups.
Why, just today I threw up the old Caldwell front bag and played a bit, no rear rest/shouldered only, and at 50yd only got some 1/2" 'groups'. Gotta say, I was disappointed looking through the 16x.....
Time was I would have been thrilled.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:10 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heck after we shot a few different types of targets with scopes, we started shooting apertures with the A23/5 at 50. It was the best time I've ever had in shooting a match. And I've shot in quite a few matches.
Copied from Kennys post above #3..

No body takes Kennys lunch money at 50 on the A23/5 target. He gets all the others lunch money.

I havent shot my 82G that way the last 2 summers--shame on me. The gun likes the old SK MATCH w/ a dimpled bullet . Im about out of the SK match and have not tried to find a replacement.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Justin, other than trout fishing, shooting iron sights and doing so well is the most relaxing, enjoyable time one can be spend. marty

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never tried trout fishing but I sure like shooting tiny groups with these 50+ year old rifles and peep sights. My bench is always in the shade so its pretty relaxing running a couple boxes through these fine old Winchesters.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
I've never tried trout fishing but I sure like shooting tiny groups with these 50+ year old rifles and peep sights. My bench is always in the shade so its pretty relaxing running a couple boxes through these fine old Winchesters.
Justin, the time spent trout fishing don't count towards your allotted time on earth. marty