Considering buying a Volquartzen rifle.. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Northman83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering buying a Volquartzen rifle..

Considering purchasing a Volquartzen rifle... wondering if anybody has suggestions I should think about?

I am looking at the Deluxe, with straight flutes, McMillan stock and threaded for suppressor.

Is there anything I should know or ask for when ordering?

Oh.. and are their barrels actually threaded in the action or fixed like regular 10/22?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Some of your questions require more information. First, your caliber choice, since the actions for the .22 LR, .22 WMR/.17HMR, and .17 WSM (assuming you're looking at rimfires) are all different. Still, regarding the barrel attachment question, I have owned three VQ rifles, and all three had the threaded receiver. The only VQ that does not have the threaded receiver ring (this is based on my quickly dimming memory, and not including the switch-barrel VQs) is the stand-alone stainless or aluminum 10/22 receivers VQ sells. They are made for the guy who wants to build his own and use all the aftermarket barrels out there. I set mine up (I guess I've owned 4 VQs) for the VQ-style bolt that features a very different recoil spring design, but it (the stand alone receiver) will take either type of bolt.

On the other options, I've never thought fluting was worth the extra cost, and, unless you just love the look of a fluted barrel, I would forego that. The McMillan stock is one of the best out there, and one of my VQs had one, but it is also a big adder, and I personally would just go with the laminate.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 07-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:42 AM
hump
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I own Volquartsens ,my last Deluxe stainless is threaded into the receiver unlike the slip fit design. I am a fan of both types of barrel systems.Although many people prefer the slip over the old threaded system. I like the flutes ,but not sure it actually contributes to any improvement in accuracy ,it might make it a bit stiffer & is bit lighter. I would buy 1 with or without flutes.The McMillan is a real help from my experience.I try to use those stocks in my VQ and Kidd Rifles.Best of luck I know you will be happy dealing with VQ , I have been dealing with them since the mid 90's nothing but Great experiences ,absolutely no regrets

Last edited by hump; 07-23-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Northman83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Teddy Bear: Its in 22lr.
I have read your previously dissecting several 22lr rifle actions.. so wondering about your opinion on this action, trigger / rifle.

I am considering a McMillan Silhouette stock.. should be perfect for off hand shots.

It has to be exported and my importer guesstimates 8-10 months to get one. So I got to make right choices now

Is it possible to order bedded in stock, with aluminum pillars?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I didn't realize you were not in the US, and that this will be such an important purchase for you.

Regarding the VQ rifles, for me, and this is just me, the biggest shortcoming would be the trigger...for two reasons: 1) I think it's ugly. This includes the flats on the trigger guard bow and, more so, the finger piece shape. To me, they both look like something one would design to give a futuristic impression, like this is what George Jetson will be using in 50 years. 2) And, more important, the VQ trigger is just not that crisp and not that light.

So, in a perfect world, I would put everything you find desirable on your new VQ; fluting, McMillan stock, threaded muzzle, etc., then fork out another $300 or so for a two-stage Kidd trigger, hands down, in my view, the best 10/22 trigger, and possibly the best trigger on any semiautomatic rifle or handgun. Selling the VQ trigger could then partially offset the cost of the Kidd.

I doubt pillar(s) are available, because the VQ rifles, even the very heavy and robust .17 WSM version, use only one action screw. There is usually some sort of pad in the barrel channel to quell barrel vibrations, and VQ sells extra pads for this purpose. I know that flies in the face of "conventional wisdom" on bedding, but all my VQs were very accurate, and one, the McMillan-stocked .17 HMR I let go, was the most accurate rimfire at 100 yards that I've ever owned. Kinda makes one wonder about solid and perfectly square lock up, lightning fast locktime, free floating barrels, and pillar bedding .

TBR