Cerakote to match gun bluing? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 PM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,320
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cerakote to match gun bluing?



Log in to see fewer ads
Hey Gang- I am in the process of fabricating my own DIY extended mag releases for my Anschutz 1712/54 action repeater. Doing so involves bonding an aluminum extension to the stamped blue steel OEM releases. I would like to have the prototypes that I have made Cerakoted to match the deep bluing of my Anschutz 1712.I have heard that a mixture of blue and black Cerakote well effectively match gun bluing, but I personally have never seen it.

Does anyone know of a specific color ratio or mixture of Cerakote that will closely match gun bluing? Anyone have any recommendations for a shop that can match the color of bluing and does not overcharge for small jobs?

Regards,

DrGunner
__________________
SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 AM
GH41

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
SEUS
Posts: 
1,985
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Hey Gang- I am in the process of fabricating my own DIY extended mag releases for my Anschutz 1712/54 action repeater. Doing so involves bonding an aluminum extension to the stamped blue steel OEM releases. I would like to have the prototypes that I have made Cerakoted to match the deep bluing of my Anschutz 1712.I have heard that a mixture of blue and black Cerakote well effectively match gun bluing, but I personally have never seen it.

Does anyone know of a specific color ratio or mixture of Cerakote that will closely match gun bluing? Anyone have any recommendations for a shop that can match the color of bluing and does not overcharge for small jobs?

Regards,

DrGunner
CeraKote may not be the right product if the bonding agent you use will not take the heat necessary to cure the coating. Not saying it isn't made but I have never seen a CeraKote that was glossy when cured. The reason probably is the required media blasting before coating. They do make CeraKote that dries at room temperature but it is not as durable as the oven cured stuff. The only way you will ever get a single small part coated on the cheap is if you find someone doing a big job in the same color you want. You might want to look at this> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvJGFGAqcs but it isn't really cost effective to do one small part.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 PM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,320
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
CeraKote may not be the right product if the bonding agent you use will not take the heat necessary to cure the coating. Not saying it isn't made but I have never seen a CeraKote that was glossy when cured. The reason probably is the required media blasting before coating. They do make CeraKote that dries at room temperature but it is not as durable as the oven cured stuff. The only way you will ever get a single small part coated on the cheap is if you find someone doing a big job in the same color you want. You might want to look at this> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvJGFGAqcs but it isn't really cost effective to do one small part.
Got it, thanks for that.
Item I’m looking to finish is blue steel bonded to aluminum with a layer of Devcon.
Should be able to take some heat, not sure what temp is used to cure Cerakote...?
__________________
SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Chaser's Avatar
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
S.E. Idaho
Posts: 
20,327
TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I just sent this thread Linkie to a Gent I know that does very good work... stay tuned.
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it." --Clint Eastwood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Chaser's Avatar
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
S.E. Idaho
Posts: 
20,327
TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Kev...

This is the reply from the Gent :

Yea, I tried this stuff once. Pricey....the product and the cleaner together was nearly $100 and once you activate the can it has a short shelf life. Very time consuming prep. Finish not bad, but held side by side with factory blue you can tell the difference. Maybe ok for DIY but no profit in it for a shop. 3-10 coats with 10 minutes between, prep time, etc....
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of
it." --Clint Eastwood
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:48 AM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,320
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Kev...

This is the reply from the Gent :

Yea, I tried this stuff once. Pricey....the product and the cleaner together was nearly $100 and once you activate the can it has a short shelf life. Very time consuming prep. Finish not bad, but held side by side with factory blue you can tell the difference. Maybe ok for DIY but no profit in it for a shop. 3-10 coats with 10 minutes between, prep time, etc....
Alright bud- Black it is, then-

Thanks!

DrGunner
__________________
SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boulder Rifle Club Long Range Rimfire Match (CO) Starbuck Local Matches / Ranges / Clubs / Gun Shows 0 03-13-2019 04:06 PM
Bluing wear on older Match 54's ?? Pastprime Anschutz 14 01-12-2019 03:56 AM
Topstraps May Longrange Rimfire Match Results Topstrap44 Long Range Rimfire 3 06-03-2018 04:43 PM
Cerakote Color Match Exgreenberet 22/45 Mark II and III 2 03-05-2018 07:06 PM
Should bluing match on barrel and magazine tube on older rifles?? Pastprime Remington 9 01-30-2018 05:09 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x