Cerakote to match gun bluing? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cerakote to match gun bluing?

Hey Gang- I am in the process of fabricating my own DIY extended mag releases for my Anschutz 1712/54 action repeater. Doing so involves bonding an aluminum extension to the stamped blue steel OEM releases. I would like to have the prototypes that I have made Cerakoted to match the deep bluing of my Anschutz 1712.I have heard that a mixture of blue and black Cerakote well effectively match gun bluing, but I personally have never seen it.

Does anyone know of a specific color ratio or mixture of Cerakote that will closely match gun bluing? Anyone have any recommendations for a shop that can match the color of bluing and does not overcharge for small jobs?

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Hey Gang- I am in the process of fabricating my own DIY extended mag releases for my Anschutz 1712/54 action repeater. Doing so involves bonding an aluminum extension to the stamped blue steel OEM releases. I would like to have the prototypes that I have made Cerakoted to match the deep bluing of my Anschutz 1712.I have heard that a mixture of blue and black Cerakote well effectively match gun bluing, but I personally have never seen it.

Does anyone know of a specific color ratio or mixture of Cerakote that will closely match gun bluing? Anyone have any recommendations for a shop that can match the color of bluing and does not overcharge for small jobs?

Regards,

DrGunner
CeraKote may not be the right product if the bonding agent you use will not take the heat necessary to cure the coating. Not saying it isn't made but I have never seen a CeraKote that was glossy when cured. The reason probably is the required media blasting before coating. They do make CeraKote that dries at room temperature but it is not as durable as the oven cured stuff. The only way you will ever get a single small part coated on the cheap is if you find someone doing a big job in the same color you want. You might want to look at this> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvJGFGAqcs but it isn't really cost effective to do one small part.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
CeraKote may not be the right product if the bonding agent you use will not take the heat necessary to cure the coating. Not saying it isn't made but I have never seen a CeraKote that was glossy when cured. The reason probably is the required media blasting before coating. They do make CeraKote that dries at room temperature but it is not as durable as the oven cured stuff. The only way you will ever get a single small part coated on the cheap is if you find someone doing a big job in the same color you want. You might want to look at this> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvJGFGAqcs but it isn't really cost effective to do one small part.
Got it, thanks for that.
Item I’m looking to finish is blue steel bonded to aluminum with a layer of Devcon.
Should be able to take some heat, not sure what temp is used to cure Cerakote...?

Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I just sent this thread Linkie to a Gent I know that does very good work... stay tuned.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Kev...

This is the reply from the Gent :

Yea, I tried this stuff once. Pricey....the product and the cleaner together was nearly $100 and once you activate the can it has a short shelf life. Very time consuming prep. Finish not bad, but held side by side with factory blue you can tell the difference. Maybe ok for DIY but no profit in it for a shop. 3-10 coats with 10 minutes between, prep time, etc....
Old 07-23-2019, 10:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Kev...

This is the reply from the Gent :

Yea, I tried this stuff once. Pricey....the product and the cleaner together was nearly $100 and once you activate the can it has a short shelf life. Very time consuming prep. Finish not bad, but held side by side with factory blue you can tell the difference. Maybe ok for DIY but no profit in it for a shop. 3-10 coats with 10 minutes between, prep time, etc....
Alright bud- Black it is, then-

Thanks!

DrGunner