Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
TCR22 Trigger Modification

Hello all, I had two problems with my trigger. 1) is the heavy pull, and 2) is the extreme curvature of the blade which was uncomfortable to me.

1)

I measured my pull and it was an offensive 6 lb 8 oz. It was obvious that most of the pull weight was from the plunger behind the trigger blade. I switched the plunger spring and now the pull is a consistent 2 lb. 12 oz. and reset is fine.

I had a lighter spring in my bag of tricks but note that the $7.50 Kidd spring kit for Ruger triggers will work. The Kidd description also contains instructions for changing plunger springs in the traditional manner (removing trigger blade).

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Pull...Kit_p_120.html

There are two ways to change the plunger spring.

The TCR22 trigger has a cross pin behind the plunger that will let the heavy spring out from the rear without disassembling the trigger group! A lighter spring can go in the same way and the cross pin reinstalled. The hammer strut assembly (which just floats in there behind the hammer) must be removed for trigger plunger spring removal.

The other method to switch plunger springs is from the other end, removing the plunger after removing the trigger blade as you would with a Ruger.....

2)

The plastic blade was too curved for my taste. I've straightened other plastic blades this way. The blade comes out the same way as a Ruger 10/22 trigger blade. Not for the faint of heart in that you will have a pile of parts when the last pin comes out, and a slave pin is necessary to reassemble it.

A short slave pin holds sub-assembly parts together temporarily, and is then driven out by the long permanent pin when the sub-assembly is in place. Note the spring kit above contains a slave pin.

The blade is placed in a vise and heated with a hair dryer for at least two minutes on its hottest setting. Close the vise all the way as heat builds although the blade will flex (compress, straighten) most of the way before heating. Since the vise also gets hot, I cool both before opening the vise and the blade shape will spring back slightly.

The blade pictured in the vise is an uncompressed Ruger blade as I didn't take a picture of the TCR22 blade. I believe the TCR22 blade was more curved. The placement in the vise is the same however. Since the blockish segment of the blade contacts the plunger, I wouldn't grip it any higher than shown, staying below the plunger block with the vise jaws. Presto!...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 01-06-2019 at 06:19 PM.