Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK 4 reliability?

how reliable is MK4? i rent one today at the local range, but it have 3-4 feeding/extraction issue for every hundred round or so. this is using bulk ammo. just checking if other have same issue or maybe 1 per 100 feeding/extraction issue?
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If any handgun has 1 out of 100 failures I'd fix it or retire it. My MK IV's remain in the rotation so, no they have no where near that kind of failure rate. bob
Old 07-21-2019, 07:22 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
how reliable is MK4? i rent one today at the local range, but it have 3-4 feeding/extraction issue for every hundred round or so. this is using bulk ammo. just checking if other have same issue or maybe 1 per 100 feeding/extraction issue?
I just bought a 2017 production gun with very few rounds through it. (Seller claimed<200 and I壇 be surprised if it had that many.

This gun had a fail to feed the second round of a fully loaded magazine at least 1 out of every 3 magazines (CCI SV) and would not feed flat nosed (ELEY) rounds at all. For me this gun from the factory is not acceptable.

That said I知 sure many will say shoot it and it値l break in but I知 sending this one back to ruger for a looksey. (Seems like the mag is sitting a touch low based on my range time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
That said I知 sure many will say shoot it and it値l break in but I知 sending this one back to ruger for a looksey. (Seems like the mag is sitting a touch low based on my range time)
whats looksey?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
whats looksey?
Ruger to "look and see" what are the issues!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
I just bought a 2017 production gun with very few rounds through it. (Seller claimed<200 and I壇 be surprised if it had that many.

This gun had a fail to feed the second round of a fully loaded magazine at least 1 out of every 3 magazines (CCI SV) and would not feed flat nosed (ELEY) rounds at all. For me this gun from the factory is not acceptable.

Ruger has come out with updated magazines that are a stainless color that sit higher in the pistol.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is from early '18 and it has given me no problems. The mags were draggy when reloading but a little work with a diamond fish hook hone (recycled to be a gun tool) took care of the rough edges and now they work great. I have tried several brands of ammo and it loves CCI-SV. Being a range gun there could be any number of things wrong with the one you shot. Probably mag related or just a dirty gun.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:23 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Mine is from early '18 and it has given me no problems. The mags were draggy when reloading but a little work with a diamond fish hook hone (recycled to be a gun tool) took care of the rough edges and now they work great. I have tried several brands of ammo and it loves CCI-SV. Being a range gun there could be any number of things wrong with the one you shot. Probably mag related or just a dirty gun.
Yes, it's all about the ammo and keeping the chamber / barrel clean. My MKIV Competition got the VQ firing pin and ejector upgrade. It took several hundred rounds of MiniMags for the stock spring to break in in order to use CCI SV. All of my magazines got the magazine "fix". Post #6. Yep, it did work. Just remember, there are going to be some brands of ammo the MkIV just doesn't care for! Don't worry, it will let you know! HA! ...... AH

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=604880

Last edited by ammohog; 07-22-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post
Ruger has come out with updated magazines that are a stainless color that sit higher in the pistol.
Good deal. They actually requested I send in the mags too. Based on what I saw and this I expect I値l get a couple new mags and be good to go.

I had just purchased more mags too but didn稚 try them. Maybe I値l measure them and see if I can tell the difference.

And yes to the above. A range gun is not a good way to evaluate the reliability. I would occasionally ask to see/shoot a range gun but after seeing how filthy every one was I elected to pass.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know if I should comment on this or not. But I will anyway. I have two Mark IV's one 22/45 Tactical and another one that is the Hunter. I also have the Competition in a Mark III. When I buy my Mark series I buy them knowing I will upgrade them to VQ parts completely.

That being said I did shoot them waiting on the parts and after upgrading them all. Everyone say's 22's will have malfunctions, just the nature of the beast. I keep mine clean. I clean the barrel and chamber every time I shoot them, and I shoot them a lot. I never have any problems with mine, but I usually only shoot Federal Bulk 550 pack from Wal-Mart. I tried some CCI SV in my 22/45 the other day just to finish the ammo off. It was very sluggish but did function 100 % just slow and sluggish. If I used that ammo a lot I would change the recoil spring to a lighter one.

If I have any problems with a 22lr that I buy used I start replacing springs and extractors till the problem no longer exist. I would buy a Mark IV with confidence and then upgrade the things that you want or not. They are great pistols.

Good Luck on your maybe purchase
Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
they are nickle plated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post
I just bought 2, haven't tried them yet.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A range gun is not a very good gun to base an opinion of a gun on. Who knows how long it has been since it has been cleaned. Also every gun has a different preference for ammo so it might not have liked the ammo you were shooting.

I have a MK IV 22/45 Target model and it runs 100% with whatever ammo I feed it. Maybe I have an exceptional one but based on mine I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
how reliable is MK4?
I can't comment on my MkIV's, as since new, both my Hunter and 22\45 Lite went immediately through the "Accurizing Transition. Right after purchasing, I went through a 2 month period of recovery from a surgical repair for a torn retina! I stayed on very light duty for 10 weeks before I could get to the range. Instead of going Crazy, I ended up dropping in TK and VQ parts to get the heavy trigger pulls down, thus my MkIV's were never fired as Stock New OEM Rugers. I would have liked to, but had too much idle time on my hands.

Once I was released by my Surgeon, I basically started shooting sessions using CCI Mini Mag CPRN 40G ammo. Since in my accurized MkIV Hunter and 22/45 Lite it performs flawlessly, clean, accurate and reliable (all at a good price point), I've not yearned for anything else!! HERE was 3 range trips of ammo testing with both my MkIV's, my MkII Standard and a friend's MkIV 22\45 Lite...CCI MM shot the BEST in my Rugers...Still Does Great!!

Ted
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ok thx, i guess the range one probably dirt and a pre-recall one. i shot various 22. the one stuck most often was remington golden tip
Old 07-23-2019, 03:16 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Remington is some of the worst ammo out there. Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets both are terrible.