Vudoo fun at 50 and 100 yards. Well, hello Bix N' Andy . . . - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:02 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Vudoo fun at 50 and 100 yards. Well, hello Bix N' Andy . . .

I have been fooling around with a Vudoo Ravage for the past year or so. After my last outing with it, I thought it was doing well with Lapua Center-X. So I laid in a couple of bricks and set to.

When I had the folks at Vudoo put the rifle together, I chose a pretty heavy configuration. They have sporter-style builds on offer, but if I was honest with myself, I was much more likely to shoot the rifle from a bench -- with its scope, the rifle probably weighs 12 lbs or so. The Ravage is not a true benchrest stock, but it has a nice wide forearm and a generous notch in the buttstock to make shooting from a bench easier. Return to battery is almost trivial, given the .22 LR's mild impulse. I mention this because I can never leave well enough alone and had been circling a decision to check out one of Bix'N Andy's TacSport trigger.

Why not Bix'N Andy's full-on benchrest trigger? Partly because I'm chicken. The idea of a trigger set permanently in the low single ounces is probably the way to the best groups on paper, but I am still getting over the mental hump of a trigger that light. The TacSport will go down to 10 oz. and up to 2 lbs. The Vudoo was built with a Timney set at 2 lbs, and while it is a good trigger -- and so much better than the offerings at Remington these days, I felt like it could be better. And the Bix'nAndy is truly the crispest, cleanest let off of any trigger I have felt. The TacSport line is also less expensive than the BR triggers. I chose the single-stage version. Not cheap, by any means, but the least expensive of the most expensive, if you know what I mean, and the same basic design innovations that give the BR triggers their crisp, clean break.

Here are the first two targets of the day. Full target:

Detail:

That there is .237 edge-to edge -- just about the best five shot group I have ever taken with a rifle. Subtracting .220 from that gets you, what, a target in the 0's? Ignore the group on the left -- that was the result of a different experiment with a Henry H001T lever-action rifle and peep sights.

The Bix trigger has -- I dunno -- ball bearings in it and is meant to be run dry. I have seen the Bullet Central videos on its design. It is all a bit beyond me. But it may have ruined me for pretty much every other lever-and-polished-sear arrangement. Man, it is pleasant to shoot. An absolutely predictable break and, even set at 10 oz. feels like it is just crisp and clean.

So whaddaya do when you are having a good day at 50 yards? Well ruin things by moving out to 100 yards, of course.

See what I mean? You move out a bit from your target and all that pride turns right to humility, without passing Go and collecting $200. On the other hand, I do see some promise for the platform in those groups. And it is funny, even though the targets are farther away, I still want all those bullet holes to touch. And no, four out of five doesn't do it. Although . . . it wasn't too long ago that I was routinely turning in targets like that 100 yard one at 50. So there's progress there, hidden in the groups.

If I was doing it again, I'd go straight to the Bix N Andy without stopping at the Timney. And it isn't a fair comparison, to be sure, because I was shooting the Timney at a higher trigger pull weight. But it's going to be a fun summer if I can get to the range. . .

Last edited by flangster; 07-06-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You make some very relevant points. There's something to be said for a trigger that goes down into the low ounces. And it's a very good observation that, while very small groups at 50 are one thing, it's not the same at 100. Too many shooters make the assumption that the results they achieve at 50 yards need only be doubled to know what they would get at twice the distance. It's not so simple.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've started shooting at 100yds a lot more, I agree with what you guys are saying. It seems like some ammo that shoots well at 50 does not hang in out at the 100yd mark, switch ammo and the Rifle is right back in there. Getting the trigger down into the single digits is pretty awesome but to shoot it well it seems like you really need to have your rests figured out and comfortable. I bet you will have your 100yd targets looking good soon.

I would love to shoot a Vudoo, had really looked at buying one this year but went the route of buying several rifles in its place. I'm hoping that I will go to the range some day and somebody will have one so I can try it.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Wadekow
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm considering their BR trigger but, can't bring myself to part with $400 quite yet. I have the TTD on my Ridgeback set as low as it will go at just under 4oz and find myself wanting to go lower.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:54 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekow View Post
I have the TTD on my Ridgeback set as low as it will go at just under 4oz.
I am unfamiliar with the term "TTD" -- who makes it (sorry to be dense)? 4 oz. is already pretty low. . . do you get reliable cocking and sear engagement at that pull weight?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TTD = Trigger Tech (manufacturer) Diamond (model of trigger).

Not a very well known acronym on this forum board but, used frequently on precision shooting forums.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:43 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Many thanks! . . . This place is always an education.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Wadekow
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekow View Post
I have the TTD on my Ridgeback set as low as it will go at just under 4oz.
I am unfamiliar with the term "TTD" -- who makes it (sorry to be dense)? 4 oz. is already pretty low. . . do you get reliable cocking and sear engagement at that pull weight?
Sorry, Triggertech Diamond. I have almost 2k rounds through it without issue. It's a great trigger, I just wish it went a bit lower. Once you get used to a low trigger weight you find yourself wanting it even lower.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I have been fooling around with a Vudoo Ravage for the past year or so. After my last outing with it, I thought it was doing well with Lapua Center-X. So I laid in a couple of bricks and set to.

When I had the folks at Vudoo put the rifle together, I chose a pretty heavy configuration. They have sporter-style builds on offer, but if I was honest with myself, I was much more likely to shoot the rifle from a bench -- with its scope, the rifle probably weighs 12 lbs or so. The Ravage is not a true benchrest stock, but it has a nice wide forearm and a generous notch in the buttstock to make shooting from a bench easier. Return to battery is almost trivial, given the .22 LR's mild impulse. I mention this because I can never leave well enough alone and had been circling a decision to check out one of Bix'N Andy's TacSport trigger.

Why not Bix'N Andy's full-on benchrest trigger? Partly because I'm chicken. The idea of a trigger set permanently in the low single ounces is probably the way to the best groups on paper, but I am still getting over the mental hump of a trigger that light. The TacSport will go down to 10 oz. and up to 2 lbs. The Vudoo was built with a Timney set at 2 lbs, and while it is a good trigger -- and so much better than the offerings at Remington these days, I felt like it could be better. And the Bix'nAndy is truly the crispest, cleanest let off of any trigger I have felt. The TacSport line is also less expensive than the BR triggers. I chose the single-stage version. Not cheap, by any means, but the least expensive of the most expensive, if you know what I mean, and the same basic design innovations that give the BR triggers their crisp, clean break.

Here are the first two targets of the day. Full target:

Detail:

That there is .237 edge-to edge -- just about the best five shot group I have ever taken with a rifle. Subtracting .220 from that gets you, what, a target in the 0's? Ignore the group on the left -- that was the result of a different experiment with a Henry H001T lever-action rifle and peep sights.

The Bix trigger has -- I dunno -- ball bearings in it and is meant to be run dry. I have seen the Bullet Central videos on its design. It is all a bit beyond me. But it may have ruined me for pretty much every other lever-and-polished-sear arrangement. Man, it is pleasant to shoot. An absolutely predictable break and, even set at 10 oz. feels like it is just crisp and clean.

So whaddaya do when you are having a good day at 50 yards? Well ruin things by moving out to 100 yards, of course.

See what I mean? You move out a bit from your target and all that pride turns right to humility, without passing Go and collecting $200. On the other hand, I do see some promise for the platform in those groups. And it is funny, even though the targets are farther away, I still want all those bullet holes to touch. And no, four out of five doesn't do it. Although . . . it wasn't too long ago that I was routinely turning in targets like that 100 yard one at 50. So there's progress there, hidden in the groups.

If I was doing it again, I'd go straight to the Bix N Andy without stopping at the Timney. And it isn't a fair comparison, to be sure, because I was shooting the Timney at a higher trigger pull weight. But it's going to be a fun summer if I can get to the range. . .

Thatís some sweet shooting. Iíve shot a voodoo and enjoyed it . Your 100 yard groups show a lot of promise. I look forward to hearing about you getting that sorted out😎. The right ammo and a little more practice at 100... you and that voodoo can doo it!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:13 PM
flatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started building precision repeaters by going with a Stiller 2500XR action, fitting & chambering a Krieger sendero contour blank for it. Loved the way it shot & functioned, but when I saw the design for repeater conversions of Rem 40X/XB actions to use with Mike Bush's 10rd AICS-form magazines, I sold the Stiller and sent both my CMP 40X & 40XB off to Jonathan Elrod to turn them into repeaters. All three of these rifles had Jewell HVR triggers, and all worked very well. When Mike's V-22 come to market, I had to have one, and sold the 40X repeater to finance that build. Put another Jewell on it, and was happy. Then, through a set of circumstances brought about by a customer who wanted me to build him a V-22 like mine, I wound up with a couple of VGW bbl'd actions, and decided to try TTDs on them. It was love at first break, so to speak. As much as I've always liked my Jewell triggers, the Trigger Tech Diamond has become my new favorite. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Jewells a lot, and seriously doubt I'd replace them with TTDs. OTOH, I like the TTD so much it's very unlikely that I'd spend more on a B&A just to see what they're like.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:37 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Well, there's no question you have to go with what works for you. I had wanted to try out the BNA for a while since one of the other shooters on RFC wrote a good report of his. Of course, I'm the guy who didn't even know what "TTD" stood for, so I am not putting myself out there as an expert of any kind. But I will say that I am thrilled with the trigger I chose and I think that it is helping me shoot better than I have before, which is all I ask from a piece of gear.

So now the TTD is on my radar. . . . see what you guys do to an impressionable member here?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM
alramr
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Jard offers a Rem 700 Set Trigger with a trigger pull in the 2 to 3 pound range and also provides a feature by pushing the trigger forward with a pull range from 3 to 8 ounces). Both pull weights are adjustable per Jard.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Scott8401

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Trigger Tech Diamond flat blade on my V22 and absolutely love it. It'll put a smile on your face no doubt and have the TT primary adaptable on a gasser thats pretty amazing also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Hoser
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have tried a few different triggers on my Vudoos/40Xs. Everything from OEM Remington to Anschutz to Jewell to Bix-n-Andy to Tubb to Timney.

Keep coming back to the Tubb.