Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 PM
cabinroe

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BL-22 Grade II

While visiting my local gunsmith, I spied one of these rifles on the consignment rack behind the counter and asked to take a look. As Iím a fan of lever actions and didnít have one of these for cowboy plinking, he had me as soon as he quoted a $450 price.
After closer inspection at home while trying to figure out exactly which model Iíd brought home, I couldnít find a description of what I was looking at. According to its serial number, itís definitely this model BL-22, but has a dull matte finished barrel and receiver while the straight gripped checkered stock is also a rather dull oiled walnut. Gold finished trigger is present. Serial # dates year of manufacture to 2002.
Anyone out there who could give me more information on this neat little rifle? Could it be a Distributor variation, or maybe just a factory alternative? Blue book says this model was discontinued in 2003, so were they a attempt to increase sales prior to this decision

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 06-18-2020, 07:24 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Without digging my BL-22 out of the safe I recall it having a matte top of the receiver, but the rest of the receiver and barrel are polished blue.
I've never seen a BL-22 that is matte all over.

I've seen some BL-22 stocks that have an oil finish instead of the gloss lacquer, I wish most of them were that way. The high gloss stock looks cheaper to me than an nice oil finish.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oil vs gloss grade II s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFE722C5-04D2-4658-B4E9-E4F140236B69.jpg (506.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg EF47E07A-58B6-4D5C-8BD3-2897E8484A07.jpg (509.1 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Agree with sanddog, the normal grade II has a polished blue receiver, with glossy stock. Some variations had a satin type stock finish, but still had a glossy blue receiver. I'm wondering if you have a rifle that was customer altered.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:22 PM
cabinroe

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the replies, guys

I really like the looks of this rifle ( kind of obvious, since I brought it home with me ). I agree about the oil finish, kind of an understated elegance rather than the showy gloss finish. Compliments the matte finish of the metal parts nicely. Upon closer examination, I think Flintlock may have the answer in a custom refinish. Thereís some fine freckling around the ejection port and the scroll engraving appears worn. Also noticeable is the fact that the barrel bands, magazine tube and sights are polished blue. The floor plate and upper tang are stippled in appearance.

Overall, a great looking package on a neat 22 that Iíd been looking for a while. Hope the grandson can help me post pictures to share with yíall