Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie View Post
Alrighty my man. Iím in. So where is the first tee box and what is the course record? LOL. Gotta love it.
Birdie, about a month ago my neighbor moved in and named all the pro golfers he has played with, in the past 3 outings he has lost by my count 17 balls, I lost 1.never shot less than 18 strokes more than me. yesterday on 1 of the more difficult courses I shot an 84 he shot a 103. his clubs are 8yrs old. today I explained to him about A1 and what callaway golf did with their super computer and A1. now I have only been playing golf for a little more than 3 years, was hell bent to never be embarresed. today he said to me. "you may have something about science and golf DUH.. everything in science has been explained and a formula by math...2+2 will always be 4.....who in their life wants to be a bobble head?? not me.marty
so someone who has played golf for the most of his life is not in the present as it's changing faster than a ny minute. somethings will never change.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:16 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie View Post
Alrighty my man. Iím in. So where is the first tee box and what is the course record? LOL. Gotta love it.
birdie, 1 thing about me, never played golf in my life, 4 years this veterans day I was asked to golf with him in a league, i borrowed clubs and maybe had 12 points, 3 for birdie, 2 for par and 1 for bogue, said that will never happen again. went to the driving range, went thru a pile of clubs, got lessons, fitted and today after a little more than 3 years I will clean the clock of most my age and many younger. hundreds and were talking many hundreds of times of practice. I have never in my life giving up or giving in. not in my dna. marty

i
Old 04-07-2021, 11:36 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
birdie, about A1 and science, if you want to replace a shaft from any callaway product from 2019check out the price. it's because of science and whats used from the kickpoint...
https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-introduction
science matters, no one on this planet is even in the same ball game like callaway because of A1. marty
Old 04-08-2021, 09:09 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You can blow more money on golf than you can buying the most expensive rifles on the market. At least the rifles hold their value and don't show up at flea markets for next to nothing.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
My wife would disagree. She told me if she knew how much all this benchrest shooting equipment would cost, she would have advised me to stick with golf. As far. as prices on guns compared to used golf clubs you are right. The question is how do you go about getting your money back on thousands of dollars worth of ammo shot up every year.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:33 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2486 View Post
You can blow more money on golf than you can buying the most expensive rifles on the market. At least the rifles hold their value and don't show up at flea markets for next to nothing.
To be competitive in golf you donít need (or want) new clubs every year and if you have a membership at a club your costs for the year are predictable.

To be a competitive shooter, requires huge money on equipment, consumables, and travel.

Anyway you *can* spend a ton of money on either one, but golf is not an equipment arms race. (Unless you believe the crap that the golf club makers spit at you)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2486 View Post
callaway golf is 1 or 2 years ahead of the next mfgr. science matter. golf and target shooting are so similar. trigger time, practice and getting fitted matters. what's lacking in rimfire precision shooting is the AI. all of science is proven by math. both sports have those that tend to ignore math and science. just the way things are. marty

ps: I'm fairly certain target shooting for all my years helped me with golf

Last edited by earnest; 04-09-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
To be competitive in golf you don’t need (or want) new clubs every year and if you have a membership at a club your costs for the year are predictable.

To be a competitive shooter, requires huge money on equipment, consumables, and travel.

Anyway you *can* spend a ton of money on either one, but golf is not an equipment arms race. (Unless you believe the crap that the golf club makers spit at you)
not true, science as data is compiled clubs and shafts change. there is night and day between clubs, shafts from 2018 and 2021. 5-7 yards may not mean nothing to the pros from tee, it means the world to us as lower lofted clubs are far more accurate approach to greens. being 15 feet from cup as to 5 feet matter. marty
Old 04-09-2021, 11:25 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
To be competitive in golf you donít need (or want) new clubs every year and if you have a membership at a club your costs for the year are predictable.

to put this in target shooting, run this test, shoot your targets at 60 yards, then at 50 yards, check the dispersion. magnify that by 2or 3xx and then you'll get the picture. marty
ps: the object is not to win 1 battle, it's to win the war. marty

Last edited by earnest; 04-09-2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. You basically just proved my point. You are all trying to be competitive by throwing money at guns, ammo, etc. You want to see who the best marksman is? Set up 1 gun and choose one ammo at a match and let everyone shoot the same gun with the same ammo. That’s where you separate the men from the boys.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B17flyboy View Post
Thanks. You basically just proved my point. You are all trying to be competitive by throwing money at guns, ammo, etc. You want to see who the best marksman is? Set up 1 gun and choose one ammo at a match and let everyone shoot the same gun with the same ammo. Thatís where you separate the men from the boys.
Surely not with any random rifle and random ammo?
Old 04-11-2021, 07:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B17flyboy View Post
Thanks. You basically just proved my point. You are all trying to be competitive by throwing money at guns, ammo, etc. You want to see who the best marksman is? Set up 1 gun and choose one ammo at a match and let everyone shoot the same gun with the same ammo. Thatís where you separate the men from the boys.
This argument falls apart when you go to any match and look at the equipment. Guys shooting ARA have virtually the same equipment almost all the time and the $$$$ cost will be virtually the same for everybody. When the rifle is in the rest on the bench and you're waiting for " commence fire " everybody's pretty much equal.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:27 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B17Flyboy, you are missing the point of rimfire benchrest. The goal of the game is to advance rimfire accuracy, to see how much accuracy we can get out of a .22 rimfire. It is this goal that has led to experimentation with different rifling configurations, reverse taper barrels (barrel contours), tuners, the Calffee Sporter barrel, better triggers etc etc. All that costs $$$$. It's the very nature of the game. It is the desire to win that drives people to innovate and experiment and to carefully select the best ammo. The goal of the discipline is not to see who is the best shot. That might be the goal of the shooter and they will be those who are best in their preparation and in doping the wind.

Anyone entering the benchrest games should be aware of, and prepared to pay, the price. It's not always the guys who spends the most that wins. I think some use the "I can't compete with the big boys cause I don't have their money" excuse to spare their egos rather than admit to themselves they didn't have the skills to win. There might be shooters who will have access to certain resources that other shooter won't have, but that's the case in many sports.

To win in benchrest you need to be able to afford competitive equipment AND to take the time to develop the skills necessary to shoot that equipment. To succeed at a high level it takes a dedication to the sport that some might call an obsession.

Sure, we could develop a game where everyone shoots cheap Marlin rifles and CCI Mini-Mags and someone will win. How would that meet the goal of benchrest shooting of advancing rimfire accuracy?

Last edited by 2500X; 04-11-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-11-2021, 03:54 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
The above says it all. I shot skeet for many years and classified AA across the board. After 4 years of shooting club ARA and IR- 50 50 matches I have yet to come close to perfection. If anyone thinks it's easy show up with your rifle, ammo and your wallet. I'm sure you will come across someone who will lighten it for you.
I'm just the opposite. I shot IR50/50 and some ARA for 12 years and had some success in IR50/50. Then, I went back to skeet and trap shooting (I shot it as a teen). I do shoot some registered trap matches. I'm a B class shooter. I don't shoot registered skeet matches (there are very few near me) but I'm shooting B to sometimes A class scores. I had better success in rimfire benchrest than I am shooting shotguns but overall I enjoy shooting shotguns more. It's not always about doing that what you do best but rather that what you enjoy the most. I still shoot .22 rifles but mostly to just ring some steel and will on occasion see if I can still shoot a decent target. For me shooting a shotgun is harder but I'm still working on it and still improving.

Last edited by 2500X; 04-11-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If advancing rimfire accuracy is the goal I’m sure you cold spend $10’s of thousands of dollars in equipment and ammo and shoot in a vacuum. Somehow I always thought the point of competitive shooting was to see how good the shooter is, not the equipment being shot. Silly me.