Field barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:11 PM
ROD BROWN
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Field barrel

I have a field barrel for the Model 41.Had it,but never used it.What is it worth? This is an original barrel not a cut down model. Thanks to any answers.Rod
Old 04-06-2021, 05:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one from a fellow RFCer for $400. It's in very good condition, just a few small scratches, and I thought that was a fair price. One in excellent condition should bring at least $500. You might want to try it on your M41. I really like the way it lightens things up, and accuracy is still excellent.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:08 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got mine here from another user for IIRC $375, but that's been 4-5 years ago.

List it on ebay or gunbroker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2021, 10:47 PM
Mklluser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5 S&W Barrel

Sellers market. Listed on GunBroker 400-600 or if it goes Wild West brings more. They are not easy to find and no Collection is complete without one.. $500 is a friendly number for a quick sale, hold out for more and it may sit around for a time.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:31 PM
22shtur
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Field barrel

I also have one I am going to sell, and have been looking at prices on Gunbroker.
Depending on condition, as others have stated, $400 -$500.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22shtur View Post
I also have one I am going to sell, and have been looking at prices on Gunbroker.
Depending on condition, as others have stated, $400 -$500.
Please stop using prices found on Gunbroker to determine value; Gunbroker is an auction site that represents the minimum amount of money that a seller will accept for an item and what a specific buyer is willing to pay for that item.

With the exception of newer products where dealers are competing against one another for your dollar, Gunbroker only serves to artificially inflate the value of firearms and even accessories.

There will always be someone with deeper pockets than you and I who will pay up to 2x what a firearm (or part) is actually worth, just to have it in their "collection", and just because someone is willing to do this doesn't magically increase that items worth. As an example, a close FFL dealer friend of mine has a regular customer who likes to buy firearms on a whim, and he always overpays for what he wants, sometimes greatly, and mostly from Gunbroker, because he "...had to have it." Then of course after the novelty wears off, this gentleman strolls into my friends shop wanting to sell it on consignment, and with a pricetag on the gun being nearly twice what it was actually worth and selling for everywhere else on the planet, those firearms sat there in the shop for months, then years, taking up valuable space. Most were never sold and were simply given back to the seller because he refused to lower or negotiate the selling price.

Whenever a person brings a firearm into a gun dealer looking to sell or trade it, what's the first thing the dealer does? He or she breaks out their current copy of the Blue Book of gun values, finds the particular firearm, then grades it to determine it's value. Any dealer who goes directly to Gunbroker for valuation indicates to me that they intend to use it as a tool for overvaluing an item so they can get a higher consignment fee from any potential sale.

Seeing this, many a seller will then make the common mistake of going to Gunbroker, where they find an example of their firearm, and noting the "Buy Now" price will falsely believe that that number is what their firearm is worth. I don't know how many times I've been in a gunshop and heard a customer say "Well, this is what they're going for on Gunbroker"; they were then schooled that no, that number only represents the lowest number that the seller will accept for the item, and when the customer gives the dealer the link to the particular auction they used to determine this value and the dealer brings it up on their computer, the customer gets all butthurt because they're Dad's nothing-special Python wasn't worth $4,995 like the one they saw on Gunbroker that had been re-listed weekly for over 12 months without a single bid.

Rant mode: oFF
Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
And also eBay I saw Clark stc barrel sell for $360.00 plus tax and $15.00 shipping! If the buyer would have checked out clark website they could of ordered one for $325.00
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 AM
22shtur
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Please stop using prices found on Gunbroker to determine value; Gunbroker is an auction site that represents the minimum amount of money that a seller will accept for an item and what a specific buyer is willing to pay for that item

Seeing this, many a seller will then make the common mistake of going to Gunbroker, where they find an example of their firearm, and noting the "Buy Now" price will falsely believe that that number is what their firearm is worth. without a single bid.
On gunbroker; go to Advanced, then Completed Items. There you can see what people are really paying, and it also shows which asking prices are not being paid. 99% of the time when you see a stupid high bid was placed, you can see that the high bidder did not pay and the item is relisted.

Use Gunbroker properly and you will get closer to the true pricing of a firearm than any other pricing chart.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd have to agree with you 22shtr. As far a current pricing goes, the completed auctions on GB are a good indicator. The BINs are mostly wishful thinking, although I have gotten a few really good deals with a few of them.
The Blue Book is in really bad need of some updating. Too many of their prices haven't changed in at least five years. Some are ridiculously overpriced, while many are the opposite.
Right now, with the current high demand, it's a seller's market. I don't know how long this will last, but I would guess about 4 years.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
On gunbroker; go to Advanced, then Completed Items. There you can see what people are really paying, and it also shows which asking prices are not being paid. 99% of the time when you see a stupid high bid was placed, you can see that the high bidder did not pay and the item is relisted.

Use Gunbroker properly and you will get closer to the true pricing of a firearm than any other pricing chart.

^^^This. The Completed Listings show a couple of things, including "crazy high" priced items that got no bids at all. So you can get a snapshot of what folks are actually paying, and what they refused to pay. Now, if you are in an inflated market, the prices will be high. But that's because in an inflated market prices ARE high. That's what an inflated market is.

For instance, I have been looking on and off for a Henry in .357 for over a year. In my mind, this is about an $750 gun. But in the last year they have been selling at around $1,200. So I will be keeping my powder dry on that purchase. But the internet retailers, like Bud's are out of this item, and others like Scheels are doing in-store sales only. This leaves sites like GB as the only option. My LGS doesn't think he can get his hands on one for a minimum of six months, but it is clear when he is quoting that timeframe, he is sort of making it up. What GB is telling me is that demand is outstripping supply for these . . . at least for the time being.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:16 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
I'd have to agree with you 22shtr. As far a current pricing goes, the completed auctions on GB are a good indicator. The BINs are mostly wishful thinking, although I have gotten a few really good deals with a few of them.
The Blue Book is in really bad need of some updating. Too many of their prices haven't changed in at least five years. Some are ridiculously overpriced, while many are the opposite.
Right now, with the current high demand, it's a seller's market. I don't know how long this will last, but I would guess about 4 years.
Exactly as you gentlemen state. I would further add that while I maintain a digital subscription to Blue Book of Gun Values for production numbers and model variations it is worthless for determining actual current street prices on firearms. It is either way too high or way to low and rarely on the mark.

Gun Broker completed sales is the only comprehensive place to get real time "this is what they're going for" firearm valuations. And even it falls down on rare and limited production items simply because of lack of comps.

Everything has a value based upon what buyers are willing to pay. We may not like those values but it's a moot point. That's what they're going for today.

Frank
Old 04-08-2021, 12:19 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Please stop using prices found on Gunbroker to determine value; Gunbroker is an auction site that represents the minimum amount of money that a seller will accept for an item and what a specific buyer is willing to pay for that item.

With the exception of newer products where dealers are competing against one another for your dollar, Gunbroker only serves to artificially inflate the value of firearms and even accessories.

There will always be someone with deeper pockets than you and I who will pay up to 2x what a firearm (or part) is actually worth, just to have it in their "collection", and just because someone is willing to do this doesn't magically increase that items worth. As an example, a close FFL dealer friend of mine has a regular customer who likes to buy firearms on a whim, and he always overpays for what he wants, sometimes greatly, and mostly from Gunbroker, because he "...had to have it." Then of course after the novelty wears off, this gentleman strolls into my friends shop wanting to sell it on consignment, and with a pricetag on the gun being nearly twice what it was actually worth and selling for everywhere else on the planet, those firearms sat there in the shop for months, then years, taking up valuable space. Most were never sold and were simply given back to the seller because he refused to lower or negotiate the selling price.

Whenever a person brings a firearm into a gun dealer looking to sell or trade it, what's the first thing the dealer does? He or she breaks out their current copy of the Blue Book of gun values, finds the particular firearm, then grades it to determine it's value. Any dealer who goes directly to Gunbroker for valuation indicates to me that they intend to use it as a tool for overvaluing an item so they can get a higher consignment fee from any potential sale.

Seeing this, many a seller will then make the common mistake of going to Gunbroker, where they find an example of their firearm, and noting the "Buy Now" price will falsely believe that that number is what their firearm is worth. I don't know how many times I've been in a gunshop and heard a customer say "Well, this is what they're going for on Gunbroker"; they were then schooled that no, that number only represents the lowest number that the seller will accept for the item, and when the customer gives the dealer the link to the particular auction they used to determine this value and the dealer brings it up on their computer, the customer gets all butthurt because they're Dad's nothing-special Python wasn't worth $4,995 like the one they saw on Gunbroker that had been re-listed weekly for over 12 months without a single bid.

Rant mode: oFF
But a look at COMPLETED AUCTIONS that sold is absolutely a good way to value a firearm.

If there is ONE buyer out there who will pay $1000 for a gun, then the gun is worth $1000....at least to that buyer.

When you see a gun with multiple bids that sells for $1K, then obviously you had more than one buyer interested in that gun for around $1K.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:21 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
^^^This. The Completed Listings show a couple of things, including "crazy high" priced items that got no bids at all. So you can get a snapshot of what folks are actually paying, and what they refused to pay. Now, if you are in an inflated market, the prices will be high. But that's because in an inflated market prices ARE high. That's what an inflated market is.

For instance, I have been looking on and off for a Henry in .357 for over a year. In my mind, this is about an $750 gun. But in the last year they have been selling at around $1,200. So I will be keeping my powder dry on that purchase. But the internet retailers, like Bud's are out of this item, and others like Scheels are doing in-store sales only. This leaves sites like GB as the only option. My LGS doesn't think he can get his hands on one for a minimum of six months, but it is clear when he is quoting that timeframe, he is sort of making it up. What GB is telling me is that demand is outstripping supply for these . . . at least for the time being.
Too bad you missed the Walmart clearance on them last year. I picked up a 357 for my father in law (Christmas gift) for $184. It was the old style without the loading gate, but he was tickled pink with it.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Too bad you missed the Walmart clearance on them last year. I picked up a 357 for my father in law (Christmas gift) for $184. It was the old style without the loading gate, but he was tickled pink with it.
Daang. . . I would have been too. That was quite a find.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:24 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll use gunbroker's completed listing as well as rock island auction or some other auction site for a comparison.

However, one needs to be careful of rock island's listed price as well. For example, a Model 41 field barrel hammered for $850 but they tack on the bidders premium and it listed at $978.