Finally building my ultimate 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:25 PM
crazyengineer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

After a long time being inactive on the forum, I figured this would be a good way to jump back in.

I’m finally getting around to building my ultimate 10/22. Only thing I have left to get is a stock, I’m thinking a laminate

For a receiver I went with an MOA stainless threaded receiver. It took me a while to find, but I finally found one....and then sat on in for almost 2 years

I paired that with a timney trigger, a JWH custom bolt and skeletonized charging handle.

For the barrrl I started with an anschutz air gauged match barrel blank. I put it in the lathe between centers and cut it down from 1.25” to .920”. Then I centered it up in the 4 jaw and got everything running true and threaded the shank for the receiver and chambered the barrel using a Manson precision bentz chamber ream. I then turned the barrel around and crowned it, put it between centers, and threaded the muzzle 1/2-28 for a suppressor. I then brought it into work and used the CNC machine to engrave the caliber on it.

After wating 3 weeks or so, I finally got my JWH bolt in after USPS lost my first one. I applied dykem to my barrel shank and used a punch to move the extractor back and forth to mark where I needed to cut the groove in the barrel. I used a 1/8” key cutter to cut the extractor groove.

After cutting the groove I assembled the gun (minus stock) and test fired it. It wouldn’t feed from the magazine or eject live rounds. So I took it apart and made the extractor groove deeper and made the chamfer on the chamber a little bigger. I put it all back together and it extracted not fired and live rounds easily but was still not feeding like it should. Back into the lathe the barrel went. I increased the chamfer a touch more and used a bit of emry cloth to polish the chamber and chamfer. Put it back together and it feeds whatever I cram in the magazine. With the polyurethane buffer I have in the gun. It really surprised me how quiet it was. I was test firing at night in my back yard pointed into the ground....I live in a neighborhood (in the county) and the neighbors won’t ever have a clue....I really need to build an indoor bullet trap.

I’ll have to do some more testing once I get a stock.

I’m gonna get a 30 MOA scope base and use an athlon FFP scope I have already for the gun. The main purpose for the gun is long range .22 shooting (out to 300 yards).

I still need to figure out what stock I’m gonna go with (leaning towards a Boyd’s rimfire Hunter) and have to figure out what finish I’m gonna apply to the barrel. I’m either going to rust blue it or I’m gonna spray it semigloss black with brownells alumahyde.

Last edited by crazyengineer; 03-14-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:34 PM
crazyengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pictures of the process continued. Also a before and after of my receiver after I sand blasted it, rubbed the sides with scotch bright, then electropolished it
Old 03-15-2021, 01:09 PM
fish4food

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Dang! Wish I had your skills! Looks awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Kfxguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I assume you are powder coating the receiver? I'd cerekote the receiver and barrel graphite black with their air dry.....and nice work
Old 03-25-2021, 03:38 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (266)
Jump back in, indeed! Very nice work!

Doug
Old 04-01-2021, 05:55 PM
crazyengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
I assume you are powder coating the receiver? I'd cerekote the receiver and barrel graphite black with their air dry.....and nice work
I am not, I have stuff to spray cerakote, but since the receiver is stainless I see no need to. I’ve got some rust bluing solution in that I will be trying on the barrel next week I think.

I’m thinking a lighter color laminate stock (Boyd’s nutmeg rimfire hunter I’m thinking).
Old 04-01-2021, 08:01 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
so it's a chrome moly barrel then, and not SS?
Old 04-01-2021, 10:20 PM
crazyengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
so it's a chrome moly barrel then, and not SS?
Ya, I made it from a chrome moly barrel match blank made by anschutz. If it was stainless I’d have given it an awesome satin/hardchrome type look....I kinda wish it was stainless, but for 75 bucks for the blank I can’t argue too much.

I’ve got my athlon helos pulled off my CZ and ready to go on it as well. Just have to get a stock and a rail (probably a 30 MOA...want to shoot distance with the gun)

Last edited by crazyengineer; 04-01-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:25 PM
Kleiss1

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Here’s my nutmeg Rimfire Thumbhole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C0023DD-5BB1-4B47-B0BF-B2CCF8E8EABE.jpeg (115.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-07-2021, 12:50 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleiss1 View Post
Here’s my nutmeg Rimfire Thumbhole.
I've got one of those stocks in gray, buried in the parts bin..it must be 40 years old now...I think mine was made by Fajen
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 PM
crazyengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was cruising eBay and found this stock, the price was right so I scooped it up. It is American black walnut. It has only been stained so I’m gonna have to put a finish on it, I will most likely use tru oil.

I’m gonna bed the stock and add a pillar at the same time. I’m thinking I’m gonna make a flared pillar from aluminum with a flat pad at the top for the action to sit against like a bedding block. Between that and bedding around the action I should end up with a nice rigid set up.

I was considering drilling out the 12-24 tapped hole and retapping it to 1/4-28. If I did that, I’d ream the hole in the pillar and use a precision shoulder bolt for a tight fit with very little play, to aid in repeatability when the gun needs disassembled.

Other than the stock work, I still need to rust blue the barrel and get a 20, 25, or 30 MOA scope base.

I’ll put 3 sling studs in the stock for a sling and a bipod.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:40 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice find on the stock, and fantastic work on the rifle . This is the kind of thread I like to follow all the way to the range report . That is one sweet looking 10/22 Anschutz!
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Kleiss1

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I've got one of those stocks in gray, buried in the parts bin..it must be 40 years old now...I think mine was made by Fajen
I had a Fagen just like it years ago.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes even I a Ruger basher think its a beautiful rifle, I like the idea of a stainless threaded receiver.

And silencers are addictive once you have one you just cant go back.

I always marvel at the skills engineers have. I think about the best could manufacture would be a zip gun which would land me in Joliet.

Brilliant work sir I doff my cap to you
Old 04-09-2021, 06:40 PM
crazyengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Yes even I a Ruger basher think its a beautiful rifle, I like the idea of a stainless threaded receiver.

And silencers are addictive once you have one you just cant go back.

I always marvel at the skills engineers have. I think about the best could manufacture would be a zip gun which would land me in Joliet.

Brilliant work sir I doff my cap to you
Who you calling an engineer? I’m a machinist, we fix things engineers design lol.

I’ve got blueprints for several actions once I get around to making them.

I really want to do a brass 10/22 receiver and put it in a flintlock style pistol stock for a pirate pistol with an octagon barrel