Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:08 PM
swax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Mine works just fine, but I bought it new.

I use mine on a PSA lower with a PNT trigger hammer from Bravo Co.

Did what others mentioned above to hand cycle a bunch without any lube. Did that and it does seem a lot smoother now. Will lube up and test out tomorrow. Another issue I had previously was cycling properly where I had to hand cycle it most of the time.

I think I figured out a potential cause for the cycling issue. As I was hand cycling the bolt, I realized that the last 1 or so inch of pulling the bolt all the way back, that there was extra friction. I took the bolt out, and manually pushed it into the buffer tube. What I found was the bottom of the bolt was hitting the hammer causing a lot of friction, which would ultimately force the hammer further down so the bolt could continue back. My thought is the bolt is catching on the hammer because the 'alley' (not sure what the term is) isn't long enough to accommodate the hammer during the full cycle. Pictures attached, hopefully its clear. The third picture is the bolt all the way into the buffer spring and hitting the buffer stops.

9x19 and Erik72, if you take your bolt out and push it into the buffer tube, does your hammer rub on the bottom of the bolt?

IMG_8055.jpg
IMG_8056.jpg
IMG_8057.jpg
IMG_8058.jpg
Old 03-26-2021, 02:39 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure but I thought what your showing in the third pic is bolt riding over the hammer after it pushes the hammer to it's reset position. This is a normal looking thing (i think), now the friction caused by the bolt pushing the hammer back during recoil can be lessen if you make sure it has no burrs and maybe make sure it is rub smooth.
It's just my guess, so you could, making sure your chamber is empty first, trip the hammer and then hand cycle the bolt slowly and understand it's function AND check it see if maybe while the hammer is pressured against the bolt bottom that the back of bolt isn't hitting your buffer tube edge and hanging up there. I'm not sure how long the bolt is or it's position of the bolt end when this process is happening.
Lets us know what you find as I'm always interested in learning also.
Or you can send this to me to check and break in for you!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:41 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Yes, the hammer on mine rubs against the bottom of the bolt/carrier as in your pictures.

Did you get the lightweight Ray-Vin buffers with your setup, or are you using the standard carbine buffer?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For any 'rub' contact like that get the two surfaces Clean and Dry and apply a small dab of automotive anti-seize compound, it makes a long lasting slickum surface.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:47 PM
swax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Yes, the hammer on mine rubs against the bottom of the bolt/carrier as in your pictures.

Did you get the lightweight Ray-Vin buffers with your setup, or are you using the standard carbine buffer?
Yes, I got the lightweight buffer that came with it.

Ok, I took it out to the range and made some progress. I think dry cycling it helped. I also swapped it from my Aero lower to my PSA lower (and moved over the buffer as well), and it worked without a hitch on 40gr 1900 fps ammo. I tried 40gr 1500 fps ammo and didn't cycle on any of them, which is what I expected. I tried 30gr 2200 fps and was working fine for the first 10 rounds, but started to not fully cycle.

I'm wondering if a light, yellow buffer spring would help? Any other thoughts?
Old 04-07-2021, 12:40 AM
Rex in OTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check your fireing-pin protrusion
For a .22Lr its on average 0.044- .046".
If the protrusion checks out, then next check your headspace?

I encountered similar problems with a unrelated firearm in a different rimfire caliber.

I had a handfull of rounds discharge out of 30 rounds.

I called it the dud-maker.
It would ruin a box of cartridges with a dented rimfire rim, just not enuf to discharge the cartridge.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-07-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:18 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well at least you got some good function out of it. Another couple thousand rds cycles and it might get broken in enough. 22 are hard to get running at first through odd/combo stuff but its a matter of cycles and check everything possible. Good Luck