Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:24 AM
MelloMartin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA-22: Cartridges jam in side loading hole

Hi everyone,

I've got an SA-22, I believe from about 1972, and when I try to load it most rounds will get stuck in the side loading hole/gate once they are about 75% through. I've had a few go through so I know, but most of the time it won't. It seems like I need the angle to be juuuuust perfect for it to load all the way in.

I can still load it from the rear but I'd prefer to load it from the side to avoid taking the entire tube out each time.

Can anyone offer ideas of what might be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Watch part 2, and you may see your problem https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WqagmF-Bhi65zR
Old 02-17-2021, 06:59 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It's possible your tube was repaired and the loading opening was not cut longer, but most likely your tube has turned slightly and isn't lined up with the port in the stock anymore.

I know Art's really knows Brownings and does a lot of work on them, but it bugs me to see a gunsmith who slams down customer's stocks, receivers and barrels onto a cluttered work bench.
I prefer to lay my parts down gently on a bench that is free of screwdrivers, punches metal parts and other things that will mar the finish.
Rant over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sandog mentions a very common problem. Make sure the tube cutout lines up with the slot cut in the buttstock. If the hole in the tube is too short to align properly with the cut slot, you can lightly dremel it a bit longer. One thing most people forget is to clean the inside of the tube occasionally. I use a .243 mop on a short section of cleaning rod to wipe out any debris.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:17 AM
MelloMartin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Watch part 2, and you may see your problem https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WqagmF-Bhi65zR
This is really helpful to get an idea of what it looks like in there, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
It's possible your tube was repaired and the loading opening was not cut longer, but most likely your tube has turned slightly and isn't lined up with the port in the stock anymore.

I know Art's really knows Brownings and does a lot of work on them, but it bugs me to see a gunsmith who slams down customer's stocks, receivers and barrels onto a cluttered work bench.
I prefer to lay my parts down gently on a bench that is free of screwdrivers, punches metal parts and other things that will mar the finish.
Rant over.
You just helped me remember that I was turning the tube in an attempt to tighten up some rattles in the receiver/stock. That definitely may have caused a poor rotation so I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2021, 10:25 AM
MelloMartin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just reporting back here in case others have the same issue.

A while ago I was trying to figure out how to tighten the 2 parts of the take-down mechanism as they had lots of play. Either I read a bad post or misunderstood it, but I turned the "screw in the back" a bit, which I now understand was the internal part of the magazine tube. That was rotated just far enough to not allow the rim of each round through. I just gave that a slight turn in the other direction and made sure the tube cutout and loading slot hole were aligned, and voila! She loads beautifully now.

I do think I need to give it a good cleaning and some light lubrication as it's still not as smooth as I would like, but other than that it works.

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions! That's the only reason I eventually figured it out 🙂
Old 04-07-2021, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloMartin View Post
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions! That's the only reason I eventually figured it out 🙂
You are very welcome! And a Gentleman. Im glad we could help you.

The SA is wonderful little gun, that can bring hours of pleasure!
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Earplug80911
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine tube

The cartridge loading port on the magazine tube on my rifle had sharp edges. I slightly deburred and deburred the edges so it funnels the round into the magazine.
Rifle loads much easier now.
My magazine tube was heavily staked into the receiver. I had to remove it to electroless nickel plate the rifle and almost cross threaded it on reassembly. I reassembled with Blue Loctite.