Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:47 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Colt Woodsman Match Target. Couple of Questions

Guy's/Gal's

If you read my other post I bought a 1973 Colt Woodsman Match Target. Series 3 of course. I have a question and then just a little complaint, not really a complaint but a pain with her.

First

Magazine, am I missing something on the magazine disassembly. Do they not want you to take the magazine apart for cleaning ? I got the spring and everything out, but the follower I can not seem to get it to come apart. Is it staked in ? The pin through the magazine will not budge. Is there something that I am missing ?

Second

Is on her temperament. I was shooting her yesterday and noticed that the slide would lock back with rounds in the magazine. Thought maybe I was hitting it with my grip. Nope it was doing it on it's own. So the spring was not strong enough. Took her apart and looks like part of the spring is broken and the screw that holds the slide latch was loose. Ok no biggie. Ordered a spring, and re bent the old spring till the new one gets here. Putting that spring in and getting it to ride on the outer/inner lip of that screw took me awhile. I finally had to bend the end of the spring towards the head of the screw so it would place itself in the correct position to be able to secure that screw all the way till tight. She has good spring tension now. But dread replacing with the new screw when it comes in.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:30 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi the link below refers to one of the several points highlighted in Maj. Rayburn´s site www.colt22.com .
It was put together along with other Colt Woodsman maintenance issues by Mr. Tom Platt or PreWoodsman, a member here.
Regards, Nicioli

https://colt22.com/repairs/index.html
Old 04-06-2021, 09:21 AM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's the direct reference to the repair of the slide stop spring courtesy of Tom Platt (aka Prewoodsman).

https://colt22.com/posting/SlideStop/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guy's
When he says that spring can launch he means it. In a heartbeat. Luckily I found the spring(OLD).

I went about it a different way, but his way looks best.
When the new spring comes in that is the way I will do it. That is one flimsy spring. But it probably broke due to the screw being loose or someone did not put it together correctly and left the screw loose so it would still work for a very short time.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 PM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Thanks guy's
When he says that spring can launch he means it. In a heartbeat. Luckily I found the spring(OLD).

I went about it a different way, but his way looks best.
When the new spring comes in that is the way I will do it. That is one flimsy spring. But it probably broke due to the screw being loose or someone did not put it together correctly and left the screw loose so it would still work for a very short time.

If you have any Woodsman issues feel free to contact me directly.
It would be my Pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Tom Platt
[email protected]
Old 04-08-2021, 03:30 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks Tom,
I will keep you in mind. So far just waiting on the new slide stop spring. Slowly learning about this pistol. But it shoots great other than the bad spring that I really believe was a loose screw caused the breakage or the screw was tightened down on the spring instead of being in the correct position.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:04 PM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP: once you get a new spring for the slide stop, when you re-assemble those components; note that they go into the gun as a "sub-assembly". In other words, you put the spring, screw and stop together as a sub group and then install the sub assembly onto the frame carrrrrrrrrefully.

It's been a while since I have done it, but when done correctly, the one of the spring legs stays put and isn't crushed by the screw.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok guy's,
Spring is in and in proper position. I tried the toothpick route but my toothpick was too thick, Ended up using a dental pick with great success.

When held at the bottom and then the screw inserted and screwed down the spring then let go. It work flawlessly.

Now very happy to have it fixed. I absolutely love this pistol. It is the most comfortable pistol that I have ever shot.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:22 PM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Ok guy's,
Spring is in and in proper position. I tried the toothpick route but my toothpick was too thick, Ended up using a dental pick with great success.

When held at the bottom and then the screw inserted and screwed down the spring then let go. It work flawlessly.

Now very happy to have it fixed. I absolutely love this pistol. It is the most comfortable pistol that I have ever shot.
Great to hear. I love my 3rd Series MT, too!!!!
Old 04-10-2021, 04:31 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you,

Now still wondering about the magazine. From what I have read these really are not meant to take the follower out. Is that correct, the follower does not come out ?
Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it does, just read Prewoodsman instructions on the colt22.com site.
Regards, Nicioli
Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nicioli,
The pre Woodsman the follower comes out of the top. Mine is the third Series and I can not get the pin to come out of the follower like they do on the pre Woodsman.

I will look but I do not think that pin comes out on the series three.

Yep,
Just looked and the second/third series does not show the follower being removed. So to clean it well I will do what I did the first time and just use Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner from Wally World or the automotive store. That cleans it up really nicely anyway.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 04-10-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Stan I have one original 3rd series and two 2nd series mags, and I can take off the followers on all of them. Don´t remember though which way , up or down they come out on each, but they do.
In the 3rd series mag after depressing the bottom pin and slide the cover the spring will come out.With the button aligned with the rounded part at the bottom of the mag and with a set of pliers you can yank it out via said rounded part and thus remove the follower.Put some oil on the pin and let it soak through before attempting to remove it with the pliers.You may also want to use some masking tape on the jaws of the pliers to avoid scratching the button.

Hope this helps, regards, Nicioli
Old 04-11-2021, 07:07 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nicioli

Thanks again. I did not try to force it. Looks like the pin has two peen marks in it. Thanks for the explanation. I may try it I have a used ( very expensive used ) magazine coming for it too make me two magazines. If it looks cruddy I may try that.