Rossi 62 SAC question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:55 PM
netbrad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi 62 SAC question

My LGS has a Rossi 62 SAC Interarms import. It has a 16 inch octagonal barrel and is marked .22lr. Serial number was G45 something but I can't figure out how to date it. The barrel looks great and the action is nice and tight. I was thinking about getting it but I don't know enough about the SAC version. I have fired an SA before and it was a hoot so I've been looking for one. I did have some questions though.

1. Will this guns shoot .22 shorts? I've seen conflicting information on this.
2. The buttstock wood is lighter in color than the foreend and has a different grain. Is a color difference normal?
3. There are 3 pins in the top of the receiver, what are these for?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
1. They dont shoot shorts
2. Wood mismatch is common.
3. Pins are to hold the parts, the firing pin, the extractor and the bolt in the top of the receiver.

Octagon barrel? That would be very nice. Dont see that in the blue book. Rossi, imported then by interarms, stoped making these in 1998, then Taurus started making them in 2002, but with safeties on the top and a hammer lock. Now its back to Rossi, imported by Brastec, a Taurus company.

Buy it, im sure its a hoot toshoot!
Old 03-28-2021, 12:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I probably put in excess of 20,000 rounds through my (Interarms) Rossi 62SAC growing up - I think they used good steel with these, as the action got very smooth - even nicer than my fathers' well-worn Win M62. The trigger was (and still is) outstanding, the best 62 trigger I've ever seen. Wood is some sort of odd Brazilian hardwood for sure. The later Taurus ones I've seen were only a pale imitation of these.

Nobody really knows how to date these, as far as I know - I have a good estimate when my father bought this one (late 70's), and could check my Serial # to at least give you some sort of idea.

I've shot many hundreds of 22 shorts without a hiccup;

Have never even heard of an octagon version - which means, buy it. :-)

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-28-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Does yours say 22lr, 22l , 22 short on the barrel?
Old 03-28-2021, 03:24 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Rossi 62 SAC but with a round barrel. Never saw an octagon on a SAC. Has been a great shooting 22 pump over the years. I've seen the new version Rossi is putting out and the original beats it hands down in my opinion. If it's in good shape at a fair price I recommend you buy it.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Rossi is a SA with a full length octagon barrel, and although I have never fired shorts in it, it is marked S-L-LR on the barrel. As stated by previous posters, mine is very well made, well finished, and has as fine of a trigger pull as I have ever seen on a Winchester 62. I previously owned a Taurus 62 SAC in stainless steel with round barrel. It was not of the same quality as my current Rossi, had the lever safety on top of the slide, and I did not keep it, sold it. I know I shouldn't have, but I just didn't warm up to it.

Now, a Rossi 62 SAC with octagon barrel, that's got to be a fairly rare item, and if the price was decent I would probably have to own that one.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Serial number was G45 something but I can't figure out how to date it. [...]
My 62SAC is serial # G152xxx; and my father purchased it new, around 1978.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Does yours say 22lr, 22l , 22 short on the barrel?
I think it does IIRC; would be a couple days before I could take a closer look tho.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I did a deep dig (back to 2003) in this subforum on another topic, and noted only two threads on the octagon version,

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=208503
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=220584

All I can say, is that they must be exceedingly rare to have generated such little discussion.

Edit: and it looks like the OP in the second thread mentioned his again here.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-31-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:18 PM
netbrad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for all of the responses. I went back and picked it up as a birthday present to myself. It had barely any wear and the action is really smooth. The barrel is 23 inches not 16 like I thought. The barrel is marked .22lr but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to find out if .22 shorts will work. Serial number starts with G45083xxx. When you pull apart the rifle there is a 690 on the bottom of the trigger guard and on the inside top of the receiver. I don't know if that is a date code or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rossi.jpg (241.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by netbrad; 04-04-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Traptinkansas
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only difference on the Winchester gallery guns between the LR only models and the S-L-LR models was the addition of a pin hole, retaining pin, and pivoting cartridge stop to the regular carrier. Here is a picture of one from my spare parts drawer:

If yours looks like that, then it will feed shorts. If it doesn't, then two bullets will enter your carrier. One will still be partially stuck in the magazine tube and it will jam your pump action when the carrier can't rise up to chamber level.

I don't know if Winchester parts are completely interchangeable with the Rossi and Taurus models, but I'd be surprised if they can't be adapted. You can get the cartridge stops and pins from Numrich, Homestead Parts, or Ebay. You can even pickup the whole S-L-LR carrier assemblies from time to time on Ebay, but the prices have gone sky high on them in recent years. You can usually find single sized cartridge model carriers for much less and modify them to work by drilling them and adding the parts.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:15 PM
netbrad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah my carrier has the hole but the slot is filled in. I found a link where someone machined out carrier so the lifter would fit but that is way beyond my skillset. I did find a catalog that showed the octagon barrel version was introduced in 1983, so I'm wondering if 690 means it was manufactured in June, 1990.

Last edited by netbrad; 04-10-2021 at 07:18 PM.