Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
591 or 592

A friend asked my opinion as to whether he should buy a 591 or a 592. I'm no authority on these so I'm asking here. Which would be your choice and why. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mags are easier and faster to make a weapon hot vs piddling around with filling up a tube.
The tube advantage is having more rounds available if you, err, your friend, needs more than 5rds to accomplish the shooting mission.
Other than that sall I got.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:03 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (266)
I like the convenience of a magazine. The tube feed is a good way to go for a plinker, but I don't think people do a lot of plinking with the 5mm Mag. The ammo is way too scarce (and pricey) for plinking.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2021, 01:10 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
I had a 591 and a couple of 592's. My main use is walking for miles through the sagebrush hunting Jackrabbits few times a year. For field carry the 592 is just fine. No magazine sticking out in the way and no worry about breaking and replacing the thin plastic original mag. Very expensive and hard to find. Trekker makes a nice replacement mag. I don't care for the tube magazine 592 if I am driving from place to place getting in and out of a vehicle to hunt because it is always a hassle to clear a tube magazine.
591 for shooting at the range or in and out of vehicles or buildings a lot.
592 for long hours in the field.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:23 PM
day-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought a 592 just after they came out in the 70's and shot it until the Remington ammo became scarce/high priced and then I sold it. It was very accurate and I used to have a 100 yard 0.5" CTC 5 shot group that I carried in my billfold, the best one it had shot. Killed a number of groundhogs with it.
Over the years the written reports were that the 592 was somewhat more accurate than the 591 with the original ammo. Recently I bought another used 592 but have only shot a few five shot groups with the new soft point Aguila ammo which were in the 0.5-0.7" range at 50 yards.
I do have some of the original Remington ammo which I will be trying in it this summer for comparison to the two types of new Aguila ammo. I'll post the results here then.
Doug
Old 03-09-2021, 05:05 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I like the convenience of a magazine. The tube feed is a good way to go for a plinker, but I don't think people do a lot of plinking with the 5mm Mag. The ammo is way too scarce (and pricey) for plinking.

Doug
Very good points.

I also prefer box magazines, but these rifles are not plinkers.
I hate buying more magazines, especially plastic garbage mags.

It’s hard to lose a tubular magazine.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:21 AM
rico903

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Mags are easier and faster to make a weapon hot vs piddling around with filling up a tube.
The tube advantage is having more rounds available if you, err, your friend, needs more than 5rds to accomplish the shooting mission.
Other than that sall I got.
Oh it's on behalf of a friend alright. My acquisition days are over and I'm in a thinning out stage. I owned a 591 briefly several years a go is why he asked. I never could get the @#%** bolt in without a LOT of aggravation. The first time I took it out Imust have spent 3 hours over 5 days trying to get it in. I had the manual and every video I could lay my hands on. I took it to an LGS and the owner's son looked at it and said he'd never seen one before. He tried once to get the bolt in, took it out, looked at it again and slid it right in. He then did it 3 more times without missing a beat.. Then I tried and couldn't do it. Pretty darn embarrassing to say the least.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico903 View Post
Oh it's on behalf of a friend alright. My acquisition days are over and I'm in a thinning out stage. I owned a 591 briefly several years a go is why he asked. I never could get the @#%** bolt in without a LOT of aggravation. The first time I took it out Imust have spent 3 hours over 5 days trying to get it in. I had the manual and every video I could lay my hands on. I took it to an LGS and the owner's son looked at it and said he'd never seen one before. He tried once to get the bolt in, took it out, looked at it again and slid it right in. He then did it 3 more times without missing a beat.. Then I tried and couldn't do it. Pretty darn embarrassing to say the least.
Lol!! Sorry. Its a tricky bugger.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:51 PM
5Mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get one of each and see which suits you better.

I like the looks of my 591 better. But I hate the magazine sticking out. If I fill the tube on the 592, I can walk and shoot stuff for a good while before refilling. The 592 (mine, that is) is more accurate with the currently available ammo.