Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:40 PM
rgrant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1976 Model 60 Stock Stains

I'm refinishing a model 60 stock that I think is birch. I used a citrus based stripper that easily removed the old finish that was in really bad shape. I've never refinished a light colored wood like birch and there are areas that have a grey color that seems to be deep in the wood. I wonder if it's a mold or fungus. I'd like to remove it if I can. The stripper, acetone and denatured alcohol won't touch it. I'm sure if I refinish it dark the grey won't matter, but I might want a lighter finish where it might show. Anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks, Roger
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 PM
spaceguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the stains/discoloration are not too bad, you may be able to soften them with wood bleach. The bleach may not completely remove the stain, but it will make it less noticeable.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:20 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hydrogen peroxide gel that you can get in beauty supply stores will bleach out the stain. Apply a thick coat and cover with saran wrap to keep it from drying out. You may need to do it a few times depending on how dark the stain is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2021, 05:31 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First try a paste of baking soda to lift the stain. And you might be able to sand some it out. If its still gray add some red to the stain, that usually hides everything, but if its real bad , then go with the gray and use an ebony stain. And get something like a grey laminate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45444C0F-F3BF-4CB9-993A-1564B5819D58.jpg (494.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 05:51 PM
Traptinkansas
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrant View Post
I'm refinishing a model 60 stock that I think is birch. I used a citrus based stripper that easily removed the old finish that was in really bad shape. I've never refinished a light colored wood like birch and there are areas that have a grey color that seems to be deep in the wood. I wonder if it's a mold or fungus. I'd like to remove it if I can. The stripper, acetone and denatured alcohol won't touch it. I'm sure if I refinish it dark the grey won't matter, but I might want a lighter finish where it might show. Anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks, Roger
I always use a paste of wood bleach crystals (oxalic acid) and water on gray or black discolored wood. You can buy it through Amazon, e.g. Oxalic Acid
Old 07-18-2021, 05:07 PM
rgrant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Folks,

I'll give the wood bleach a try.