Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mk 2 info on new in box model MK678G-US

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Signmaster 
#1 ·
So I purchased a new in box with all proper paperwork including the military supplemental manual US property marked ruger mk2 pistol is all properly marked box is properly marked now this gun falls out of the supposedly known serial number range by exactly 208 pistols. I know for a fact this is not a counterfeit piece as it was imported direct from ruger into Canada by R.Nichols the then Canadian importer of ruger firearms into Canada and he presented it to a very prominent gun shop owner as an extremely rare United States military pistol from whom I purchased it from. So I have a few questions could this be the last of the military contract pistols and be a game changer for what people Beleive to be serial number cutoff. When I run the serial number lookup on ruger website it tells me it left the factory in 2010 long after the contract was filled and even after the production of the mk2 series ended what’s this worth as iam thinking of listing in an auction and passing it on to someone who can appreciate it as iam getting older with a few health problems and no family to pass it onto

#5 ·
What do you think the last known serial number is?

I placed the last known according to Chad Pennington, into the Ruger lookup and it shows it shipped in 2007. According to Chad, it would have been made in August 1986 as one of only 18,403 made.

When I add 208 to Chad's last known number and put it in, the lookup says it can't find such a serial number.

It would help to know what serial number yours has.

#8 ·
So that would put mine in the correct serial number range proving authenticity as I was told it was not by a few internet experts who did offer to purchase at silly prices. When trying to research this on line I can’t remember where but iam sure it was rock island auctions where in 2016 a true U.S marked mk 2 sold with auctions fees and what not for near the 3500.00 dollar us range it was used with no box or papers

#9 · (Edited)
I have two of them. NIB. You should be able to get a letter from Ruger verifying the gun. But being a Government contract they may not give you all the info. As far as the box Ruger sold a few auction with just the yellow box. Which one of mine is that way. The early ones that got out came with the military packaging. Which consists of a shipper then an inner yellow box in an aluminum sleeve. The pistol inside the box is in a folded aluminium sheet. There is also a cardboard straw that vents moisture out of the barrel. There are two instruction manuals. How is yours boxed? They vary in price. I gave $1300 for one at auction in the Midwest last year. But they advertised it poorly. The other I gave $1600 for about eight years ago. It is in the military shipping and is a two digit serial number. Sometimes odd things happen with Rugers serial numbers. I have a Great Eight that it's serial number is several hundred numbers above sequence and shipped several years later than original shipping period. And adding to the oddity it shipped in a yellow cardboard box with correct label instead of gray plastic box. It's NIB and I got it from original owner who claimed he bought it new in the yellow box.

#11 ·
Mine is packaged in a yellow box labeled government target model then below that is model mk678G but then there is another smaller sticker beside that which has mk678G-US. It does not have aluminum sleeve or outer box came with one mag all the usual civilian paperwork and manual as well as the military supplemental manual Pistol is not marked behind ejection port government target model and all other markings are where they are suppose to be. I don’t get the deal with why this sat in rugers warehouse or where ever it sat at ruger till 2010. I did think about calling ruger and inquiring to see if it is worth getting lettered as sometimes they only indicate date it shipped but I do have ruger mini 14 gb rifles that are lettered and some indicate police department or prison they shipped too.

#12 ·
Ruger had some that were returned for repairs. Interestingly several were for broken or cracked grips. I am assuming Ruger kept the returned guns and sent back new ones to military as Ruger had auctioned off several in the last few years. That's probably where yours came from. Those from the auctions brought around $2000 or so each.

#20 ·
Sound like a great find. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for?

Understood if you don't want to share, but I hope you cash in if you sell it. Keeping these guns in the hands of those that will care and appreciate them for what they are can have it's financial rewards. :bthumb:

As for photos, I'm always up to see another Mark series pistol. I hope you can show it off to us some!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.