Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:50 AM
benlineberry
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy with a suppressor?

What changes in accuracy is everyone getting when using a suppressor?
I recently picked up a Bergara B14R (lefty) and while trying it out for the first time, put a suppressor on it to see what the impact shift is and any changes in accuracy is.

I found that the groups really opened up. I know this is a test with one rifle, one suppressor, and one ammo, but have others seen similar results?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surpressor accuracy.jpg (113.5 KB, 198 views)
Old 06-19-2021, 07:13 AM
bmwmc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-22lr.6929475/

It depends. Kind of like ammo, you can't know until you try.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
When I got my Dead Air Mask I tried it on a bunch of rifles. The most common effect was a shift in POI, but not a radically different average group size. There were a couple of exceptions, though. A Ruger RAR shot larger than expected groups but a CZ American was right on. I really think it is down the harmonics of a specific firearm. Not surprising when you consider you are hanging several ounces off the end of a barrel ...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Mr-Subsonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that the ammo used has the most effect on poi when using a suppressor. I only shoot suppressed and only use ammo that travels less that 1085 fps. I find that my Bergara B14-R does better with my AB Little Bird suppressor, and my CZ Varmint Precision Trainer is happier with the Silencerco Sparrow . Go figure ? They both seem to be spot on with their favorite shells.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:45 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
When I got my Dead Air Mask I tried it on a bunch of rifles. The most common effect was a shift in POI, but not a radically different average group size. There were a couple of exceptions, though. A Ruger RAR shot larger than expected groups but a CZ American was right on. I really think it is down the harmonics of a specific firearm. Not surprising when you consider you are hanging several ounces off the end of a barrel ...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Harmonics and speed.

So if he is shooting high velocity for example another high velocity thatís slightly slower in average or slightly faster on average speed might tighten up the groups.

I generally find my rifles shoot better with my sparrow on than off. I also put some type of muzzle break on in place of my suppressor keeping the harmonics the same.

Some people claim worse accuracy some with no change. What almost everyone does experience is a shift in poi/poa.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Subsonic View Post
I think that the ammo used has the most effect on poi when using a suppressor. I only shoot suppressed and only use ammo that travels less that 1085 fps. I find that my Bergara B14-R does better with my AB Little Bird suppressor, and my CZ Varmint Precision Trainer is happier with the Silencerco Sparrow . Go figure ? They both seem to be spot on with their favorite shells.
A thousand pardons to the OP but how do you like the Little Bird compared with the Sparrow sound wise?
Old 07-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Mr-Subsonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo26 View Post
A thousand pardons to the OP but how do you like the Little Bird compared with the Sparrow sound wise?
My pardons to the op also: The sound signature is very similar on both suppressors. I like the fact that the Little Bird is so light (2.9 oz). They are both very effective with sub sonic and sv ammo. In retrospect, I have to say that the Sparrow is probably easier to clean as it is stainless steel vs the Little Bird's all aluminum make up. I have to say that I would not hesitate to purchase either one again. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:41 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 7 rimfire rifles that I shoot suppressed. Four in .22 LR, one in .17 HMR, one in .17 M2 and one in .22 mag.

Use the same suppressor on all of them, a Surefire Ryder. In my experience, accuracy improved on most, stayed the same on others. Didn’t have any that got worse. Not sure if it is muzzle blast reduction, barrel harmonics or whatever.

Didn’t expect that, especially on the .17 HMR and .22 Mag. I wouldn’t say they are quiet suppressed, but definitely more pleasant - hearing safe. Should have bought it years earlier.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:17 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
I have 7 rimfire rifles that I shoot suppressed. Four in .22 LR, one in .17 HMR, one in .17 M2 and one in .22 mag.

Use the same suppressor on all of them, a Surefire Ryder. In my experience, accuracy improved on most, stayed the same on others. Didnít have any that got worse. Not sure if it is muzzle blast reduction, barrel harmonics or whatever.

Didnít expect that, especially on the .17 HMR and .22 Mag. I wouldnít say they are quiet suppressed, but definitely more pleasant - hearing safe. Should have bought it years earlier.
Mirrors my experience with my suppressor, Dead Air Mask will be out of jail soon and we'll see how it does.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:29 PM
Badlandsboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post

Use the same suppressor on all of them, a Surefire Ryder. In my experience, accuracy improved on most, stayed the same on others. Didnít have any that got worse. Not sure if it is muzzle blast reduction, barrel harmonics or whatever.

Didnít expect that, especially on the .17 HMR and .22 Mag. I wouldnít say they are quiet suppressed, but definitely more pleasant - hearing safe. Should have bought it years earlier.
Very similar to my experience also. I have 2 suppressors that I use on 5 different rifles all 22lr chambered. All grouped the same or better suppressed. The majority did better.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:25 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Me and my buddy both sent our 10/22 Target barrels to Volquartsen to have them threaded. Only difference is I had them cut mine back to 17 inches and he left his at 20”.I’ shot both of them today suppressed with my Mask and so far his is more accurate. I have yet to shoot them side-by-side unsuppressed to see if any change in accuracy. But so far I am regretting my decision having mine cut back.Both of ours were tack drivers and his seems to be still
at least suppressed.Mine sadly not so much. I’m also going to shoot them with my Ruger can and see what happens.

Last edited by echo26; 07-18-2021 at 11:27 PM.