Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Escbowhunt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitash View Post
If they can be delivered through all the snow up here in WNC I've got three new springs coming. After breaking down the bolts I'll give them a Dawn bath as you suggest. Iíll give everything a good look and feel over and make adjustments accordingly. However, after you wash, polish etc, do you not lubricate the metal surfaces with something to help prevent oxidization?
By the way, is there anything that Dawn dish soap is not good at cleaning, it's sort of has the reputation Windex had in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding -- the miracle compound.
I do not get my guns wet so I do not worry about it. I have tried some high end lubricants in the past and over time they gum up! maybe some of the small game hunters will chime in.
Theron
Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM
forrest r

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I use a home mix of graphite (auto parts store lock lube) & clp and have never had a problem. Do a search, a lot of people have recommended a high end lube for bike chains that is designed to leave a dry film. So many people had recommended the same product; it has to be a home run.

Ignition is one of the keys to accuracy with rimfires. Without it youíre just spitting in the wind. I reworked the bolt on my cz lux & the difference was night & day.

All the work that I did on that bolt was centered around a jp spring. Man, these springs are flat out sweet.

When I had the bolt apart I did other work to it. I used a magic marker & colored the fp then reassembled the bolt and shot a box of ammo out of the rifle. The magic marker wore off on the spots where the bolt was dragging.

I ended up polishing the tooling marks off the bolt/fp, easing all the contact edges, reshaping the fp & molyfusioning the whole bolt.

Mid west Swiss showed a pic of some russial ammo in this thread. A lot of people that bought that ammo couldnít shoot it because it is extremely hard to ignight. I bought a lot (3 cases) of that ammo & use it practice in a couple of Russian pistols & to test different guns to make sure that theyíre getting good clean fp hits/consistent ignition.

Iíve showed this pic a lot, itís that same Russian ammo & an fp hit from my cz lux.

After I finished working on my bolt thatís what the fp hits looked like & my groups for that rifle were cut in half.

Hereís a pic of some fp hits from a rifle that one of the leading gun makers (bill calfee) that heís extremely excited about.

Like I said, the jp spring will open up a whole new world for you; the cheapest accuracy improvement money can buy!!!

Good luck, be safe & enjoy
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 AM
shogan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably good timing for this thread being around Christmas!

I too reading it and looking back feel that I had a fairly high rate of non-fires in my cz452. Reload ammo pull trigger again and pow.

Soo I ordered one for my cz.

Figured while I was doing that I should also order the set for my marlin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Escbowhunt

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest r View Post
I use a home mix of graphite (auto parts store lock lube) & clp and have never had a problem. Do a search, a lot of people have recommended a high end lube for bike chains that is designed to leave a dry film. So many people had recommended the same product; it has to be a home run.

Ignition is one of the keys to accuracy with rimfires. Without it youíre just spitting in the wind. I reworked the bolt on my cz lux & the difference was night & day.

All the work that I did on that bolt was centered around a jp spring. Man, these springs are flat out sweet.

When I had the bolt apart I did other work to it. I used a magic marker & colored the fp then reassembled the bolt and shot a box of ammo out of the rifle. The magic marker wore off on the spots where the bolt was dragging.

I ended up polishing the tooling marks off the bolt/fp, easing all the contact edges, reshaping the fp & molyfusioning the whole bolt.

Mid west Swiss showed a pic of some russial ammo in this thread. A lot of people that bought that ammo couldnít shoot it because it is extremely hard to ignight. I bought a lot (3 cases) of that ammo & use it practice in a couple of Russian pistols & to test different guns to make sure that theyíre getting good clean fp hits/consistent ignition.

Iíve showed this pic a lot, itís that same Russian ammo & an fp hit from my cz lux.

After I finished working on my bolt thatís what the fp hits looked like & my groups for that rifle were cut in half.

Hereís a pic of some fp hits from a rifle that one of the leading gun makers (bill calfee) that heís extremely excited about.

Like I said, the jp spring will open up a whole new world for you; the cheapest accuracy improvement money can buy!!!

Good luck, be safe & enjoy
I will fit this in it kinda goes around that pic of the fired cases from the new Falcon action.

"Originally Posted by Escbowhunt
Hey Bill do you use any kind of lubricant on the FP shaft or the FP raceway or just polish/dry?

Theron
Friend Escbowhunt:

Dry...both the firing pin and internal of the breech bolt and the trigger need to be completely dry..

It snowed again last night, which means it's going to be another day(s) before I can see exactly what my Falcon can do...

It looks very good as far as the things required to make accuracy, including the one area I had the most concern about, the ignition....I don't have any concerns about that any longer....

I added the two .050" spacers to pre-load the 24 lb spring before Mr. Baity sent me several other springs to work with so I'm like a kid in a candy shop....

Your friend, BC "
Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM
kitash

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escbowhunt View Post

I will fit this in it kinda goes around that pic of the fired cases from the new Falcon action...

"Originally Posted by Escbowhunt
Hey Bill do you use any kind of lubricant on the FP shaft or the FP raceway or just polish/dry?

Theron
Friend Escbowhunt:

Dry...both the firing pin and internal of the breech bolt and the trigger need to be completely dry...
Okey dokey...Dry it is...After my manipulations I'll hand dry, blow dry and then let sit and air dry before assembly.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
p5200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wish better weather would hurry up so I can try my new JP spring in my 452 Varmint.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ya thats the test......forrest r
One CZ with a new Jp heavy spring & a reshape firring pin strike.
Then the test is to see how you rifle can shoot some old nasty Russian ammo.

It will also test your extractors out also.
She passed the test...

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 12-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
butchi003
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wou, where did you find this ammo? That was one of the finest shooting ammo back in mid 70's, early 80's. If stored well, it can keep it's consistency for at least 20 years.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Fine shooting Swiss
Pete
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Cameron Chacon
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After reading this thread I went ahead and gave more of my money to J&P. I'm so stoked that I am receiving my goodies this week, I hope.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchi003 View Post
Wou, where did you find this ammo? That was one of the finest shooting ammo back in mid 70's, early 80's. If stored well, it can keep it's consistency for at least 20 years.
Sportsmen Guide had it for sale 3-4 years ago.
Its ok ammo & its old like you said made in USSR in the 70's 80's.
The bullet lube is kind of dried out.
I bough it mainly to shoot in my 3 Russian rifles & they shoot it ...no problem "O"

Thanks... sakopete.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
kitash

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
They're Here

My three fp springs and Bolt Buddy arrived in the mail today...Yippee, now I've got a project to keep me busy tomorrow and Thursday. It'll be a while before I can test fire as the snow is still very deep here in WNC.

I've been housebound for the past 2.5 days and spent much of the time reloading. Iíve run out of brass to reload or bullets or both so this will make for a nice diversion tomorrow. Iíll start with the UL, then the Varmint and then the Full Stock; thatís the order of ownership and also the order of most rounds fired.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Go ahead and do a good clean while you're there Kitash, 'cause with that Bolt Buddy it's only going to take a minute to take those bolts apart. All of them.......
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
ALS
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Go ahead and do a good clean while you're there Kitash, 'cause with that Bolt Buddy it's only going to take a minute to take those bolts apart. All of them.......
After so many comments about how handy a Bolt Buddy is......I finally went ahead and ordered one.

Hey somebody has to be at the end of the line.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had a very interesting article by Bill Calfee on the importance of ignition saved in my favorites that was on a small website that he once had. It was very interesting. I would post it but unfortunately I lost it in a computer crash. Those are some great strikes.
Pete