Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
CZ452UltraLux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quantum Physics is the magic that keeps your LED light bulbs from burning out

Just bought two chains of LED Christmas lights ... so long to frustrating, finger numbing bulb switching every season
Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM
All4fun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Actually the torque wrench does know if the screw is lubed or not.

It uses the same principe that a Thermos bottle does to know whether to keep food hot or cold.

I like physics..............it's quantum physics that confuses me.

Quantum Physics = God rolls dice

Got it?

~~~
Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
cbnutt

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
quick question, i noticed the screws are sold in sets of 2, there are 3 on my 452 American, do i leave one of those as is is slotted ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think if you click on the appropriate set for your rifle, you'll see somewhere where they mention the wood screw (your third screw), which is sold separately.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
What Steve in IN said.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You know how grocery stores put stuff by the checkout for impulse buyers? I just went to J&P Custom to make sure what I typed above was true. By the time I has left the site, I had purchased the ghost ring set.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Jim and Pete appreciate the business Steve.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
2kbill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ain't it the truth. I went there over the weekend to order a spring. I ended up with a spring, a tube of gun glide and a bolt disassembly widget. Stuff arrived today! What service.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:24 PM
kitash

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
You know how grocery stores put stuff by the checkout for impulse buyers? I just went to J&P Custom to make sure what I typed above was true. By the time I has left the site, I had purchased the ghost ring set.
Yeah...this must be a great week for J&P. I finished catching up on this discussion and and ordered 3 FP springs, the Bolt Buddy and a set of action screws. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
cbnutt

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ok i think this is it ? https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/produc...roducts_id=138
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
iroh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new spring arrived today. My cheap self was wishing I had the bolt buddy but I got it in using a pen (which turned out to be my bolt nemesis - kept trying to run away!).

Good fast service for sure. Ordered it sunday night, between jim/pete and our friends at the post office it was here this thursday morning.

I couldn't believe the difference in the original spring just from the last time I had inspected it. I could already tell it was a little shorter when I pulled the safety out. When I compared it to the new J&P, it was indeed surprising. If the J&P is factory CZ length, mine had taken a set of over a quarter inch already. I've only owned this rifle a month, and it's always stored uncocked!

Good thing to change out and you can't beat the price.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:50 AM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It is amazing the amount of set a music wire spring takes. We have also had factory springs that were never installed that vary in length from a lot of different gun manufactures.
Merry Christmas,
Pete
Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Jim and Pete appreciate the business Steve.
Well I hope they're happy, 'cause there's some 'splaining to do when my wife gets the bill. I had already purchased everything she was getting me for Christmas. Maybe I can try the old, "But it's my birthday."
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
chezrad
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
Chezrad, a torque driver measures torque. It does not know if the screw is lubricated or not. Lubricating to prevent galling should give more consistent torquing.
You are correct that that a torque wrench just measures torque. However the reason that torque works in a bolt is that it is a way to measure bolt stretch. The more torque, the more stretch in theory. The stretch of the bolt is what holds the threads of the bolt to the threads of the tapped hole tightly together.

If you stretch a bolt to much you risk breaking the bolt. If you get close to this stretch limit you can reduce the holding power of the bolt. This is why head bolts in engines are replaced and not reused.

The bolts that we are talking about here are not being stressed to the same levels but the principle is the same. A torque wrench is responding to the friction caused by the threads interacting as you turn the bolt. by lubricating the bolt you reduce the friction that is seen by the torque wrench. The amount of bolt stretch that you are inducing is more with a lubricated bolt vs. a dry bolt at the same torque setting.

Now with that being said, again we are talking inch-lbs here, so as long as you are consistent in your methods you will be fine.

Just be careful if you are working on an engine and torquing head bolts. If you lubricate the bolts, you'll end up snapping a few and really creating a mess. Cheers.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Teo74

TPC Rating: 
97% (56)
SakoPete has J&P looked into the new Cz 512 Theres some springs in there