Improved ignition=Better Groups! - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 PM
shogan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

After installing the new spring. I put the bolt back together in the bolt down position. But now I can not lift it up to put back in gun.

Did I do something wrong with assembly?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
If you can't recock the bolt yes sir you need to recheck your assembly, there's about four ways to put it together but only one is right.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
kitash
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I swapped out three factory springs for three J&P springs today. Everything went smoothly but I do have a recommendation to make regarding cleaning the bolt and firing pin (fp).

The first bolt I disassembled and then washed using the Dawn and hot water recommendation. Then I took the bolt and firing pin out of the bath and rinsed with hot water and then hand dried. I then took a cotton swab (Q-Tip) and inserted it in the long blind holes in the bolt and fp and was disappointed to see the amount of gunk that came out of the holes. So I swabbed each hole will a solvent; I started with Butchís Bore
Shine but switched to odorless mineral spirits as the BBS in close quarters made my eyes water and smelled horrible. I then rewashed the parts and checked to ensure they were clean.

My recommendation is after you disassemble first dowse a Q-Tip with a solvent and then work both long shaft holes (bolt and fp) first and then wash the parts and dry before reassembly; youíll save yourself an extra and needless process step.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also of note I checked the trigger pull of all three rifles (UL, Varmint and FS) with a Lyman gauge before disassembly and exchanging springs and then again after the new spring was installed. All three rifles tested having the same reading after the installation (UL = 1 lb, Varmint = 1.5 lb, and the FS at 2 lb. From my experience the new J&P springs had no effect on trigger pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
kitash

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan View Post
After installing the new spring. I put the bolt back together in the bolt down position. But now I can not lift it up to put back in gun.

Did I do something wrong with assembly?
Have no fear. I had a similar experience on the first bolt I put back together. I took a bolt out of a different CZ and examined it to see what I was doing wrong. My problem was the orientation of the bolt handle. Notice how when moving the bolt handle the fp moves like a cam. I found making sure the fp was positioned as far forward as possible on the "flat" made the difference.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
ALS
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

kitash,

Excellent post.............thanks for taking the time.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
shogan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got it!

I was starting with the bolt upside down.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakopete View Post
I had a very interesting article by Bill Calfee on the importance of ignition saved in my favorites that was on a small website that he once had. It was very interesting. I would post it but unfortunately I lost it in a computer crash. Those are some great strikes.
Pete
I lost the link also.
But I do have some of Bill's pictures.

I did this to my CZ 452 Varmint.

Midwest Swiss
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan View Post
Got it!

I was starting with the bolt upside down.

Good deal, it can be a bit frustrating.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 AM
forrest r

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Great pictures Midwest Swiss, Thatís a lot of food for thought there. When I redid my fp I went for the round strike with the reverse angle like what you showed in your pictures. Man, what a difference!!!!

These cz fpís were born to these mods like a duck to water. The accuracy obtained from them is outstanding.

I canít even begin nor would I even know how to explain the difference in the lock time of these jp springs compared to the factory springs. Between the fp mods & the jp spring my offhand scores have gone up considerable, the czís groups have shrunk drastically & they have taken my cz lux to the next level.

My 3 favorite rifles for shooting silhouettes, a customized 10/22, a savage/Anschutz 54 sporter & my cz lux. On any given day any one of these rifles can beat the other & the cz will definitely hold itís own.

On a side note MS, my russian ammo count is starting to dwindle. This has been some excellent ammo for testing consistent ignition with firearms.

Be safe & enjoy
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM
iroh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The blizzards finally stopped and although I had to trudge through 4" of snow to the target I got the chance to put this spring through its paces. I'm certain it makes a difference, most especially with the lock time. Just to see what it would really do, I tossed my old Simmons blurroscope into some older weaver shoot-thru's and mounted it to the ultra lux. With the tall rings and the drop comb stock all I get is a chin weld () but it did the trick.

My original description of this gun was "quite accurate" to 75 yards. Now it's "stupid accurate" at 100. Jim and Pete have definitely earned a long time customer.

temp a balmy 19F, almost calm wind, sitting on three-legged hunting chair, resting stock on chinsy $10 tripod, 100 yd (as measured by rangefinder - 108 as measured by wheel). Ammo was Winchester bulk 333-box high velocity HP.

Not as impressive as some of the others I've seen here, but definitely the best rifle I've shot where the image I see when it goes off matches so well with the hole in the paper.

Last edited by iroh; 01-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's some good shooting for the conditions. I have been trying to get to the range but it is just too cold for me. Glad you are happy with the spring.
Pete
Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Magnum12
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spring and FP Face

New spring and new fp face profile. I guess we'll see.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow Magnum12, I really like the profile of that striker hit. You did a great job.
Pete
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 AM
lvschie
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakopete View Post
As always, back the screw off before re torquing, use a continuous motion and grease or put a bit of oil on the threads and under the head of the screw. Good luck with the rifle. She looks like a winner.
Pete
What's the purpose of putting some grease or oil on the screws and tips Pete? I was told always to keep the screws dry.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvschie View Post
What's the purpose of putting some grease or oil on the screws and tips Pete? I was told always to keep the screws dry.
You're only about six years late on this one.