Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Target Pistol Match

8K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Signmaster 
#1 ·
I put together a short pistol match for myself and I’ve been shooting it as a personal challenge and to check my skill development. I figured that maybe some other people might want to shoot it as well.

This match is similar to the Bullseye Nation Match Course or an EIC match, but with simplified details to make it easier to shoot at any range, at any time. Instead of timing equipment and mechanical turning targets I have an audio mp3 file that I listen to using earbuds under my ear muffs. The match is 30 rounds on three different targets and it takes less than 10 minutes to shoot the whole thing. You can shoot indoors or out, at 50 feet, 20 yards, or 25 yards.

For anyone who wants to play along, I’ll email you the instructions, the audio files, and printable targets. Send me a private message with your email address and I’ll send you all the stuff you need to shoot this match. If you want to post your results in this thread, that’s up to you. With enough interest, maybe this could turn into a regular monthly match here on RFC.

The match is broken up into three stages: slow fire, timed fire, and rapid fire. Each stage is 10 rounds shot on a separate target. Set up all three targets at one time and shoot the entire course of fire. From hanging the targets to firing the last shot will take only 10 minutes. Audio prompts will guide you through each of the three stages, and provide a start and stop signal for the time allotted for each string of fire. You’ll have time to reload between each string.

Stage 1: Slow Fire. 10 rounds on Target #1 in 4 minutes.
Stage 2: Timed Fire. 10 rounds (separated into two strings of five) on Target #2, 20 seconds per string.
Stage 3: Rapid Fire. 10 rounds (separated into two strings of five) on Target #3, 10 seconds per string.

It’s short enough that you can get on a lane at the range, warm up and check your sights, then shoot this match. All within an hour, using only one box of ammo, if that’s what you want to do.

So… who wants to play?

See less See more
#2 ·
As an example, here is a set of targets I shot a couple days ago. I shot these at an indoor range, at 25 yards, using a two handed grip. It's not my best score, and it's not my worst, but it's an honest example. I never claimed to be a great shot, but I'm working on it!

Attachments

#6 ·
I'll try to post a couple examples each month, maybe I'll see some progress. Here is my best 1-handed set from February. I probably won't make it to the range again this month, so this is likely to be as good as it gets.

DATE: 2/22/19
MATCH SCORE: 253-0X
TARGET SCORES: SLOW= 83-0X TIMED= 86-0X RAPID= 84-0X
GRIP: 1 HANDED
GUN: High Standard Sharpshooter series 103
SIGHTS: Ultra Dot 1"
AMMO: CCI SV
COMMENTS: no X's, seriously?

Attachments

#9 ·
Thinking of giving this a try next week when I get back to the range using my Ruger Single Six Bisley revolver .
I'll most likely try the 50 footer . I'll see if I have any 50 foot targets .
I shot these targets today .
Left was offhand standing , right was elbows on the bench . Both was with both hands . I need to see what I can do one handed . Kirby/

#10 ·
Kirby

I'll send you my files w/ printable targets, or use your own. We're using standard Bullseye targets for this game. My files will print on standard 8.5x11" paper.

These targets are calibrated so that the size of the target appears the same at each distance, so you can directly compare your targets shot at 50 feet to my targets shot at 25 yards.

50 foot:
Slow fire NRA B-2
Timed & Rapid fire NRA B-3

20 yard:
Slow fire NRA B-4
Timed & Rapid fire NRA B-5

25 yard:
Slow fire NRA B-16
Timed & Rapid fire NRA B-8

#20 ·
We just finished a 7 week league using these targets and rules. 50' the first week, 60' the second and 75' the third. Then repeat the next 3 weeks. The 7th week we shot at 25' using the NRA 25' slow fire target for slow fire and I reduced a 25yd rapid fire target to about the same size as the 25' slow fire o use for timed and rapid.
A dozen men and women signed up and 8 participated. It was loads of fun and we are already signing people up for the winter session that starts in January.

Thanks Fuzzy!

#23 ·
Ok... it's been a while, but I've had a practice session this week and I have a set of targets to post.

25 yards, indoor, 1 hand, using a High Standard 103 series Sharpshooter w/ red dot sight and CCI SV.

Slow Fire: 86-0X
Timed Fire: 96-1X
Rapid Fire: 86-2X
Match total: 268-3X

I feel pretty good about the good shots. If I could have tightened up the 1 or 2 fliers on each target I'd be really happy!

Attachments

#29 ·
I sent a pm requesting the information needed for the match. My targets will not be anything close kidneyboy's . That is some nice shooting
Ditto. I got bored watching the snow come down again and found this old thread. I'm getting antsy to do some shooting and with no indoor range nearby, I need to wait a few days for nice weather again. I have a love/hate relationship with spring in Minnesota. I have a red dot sight in transit and am anxious to try it out on my Buckmark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.