Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New CZ 455 22LR break-in and Bulk Ammo results

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  milleron 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Being a data hound (and a reloader) I get pretty obsessive about shooting results and cataloging those results. I'm still looking for the "best" workflow, but for now I've started tracking all rounds that go through my new CZ 455.

I brought her to the range on Saturday for some break-in and brought with me all my various brands of 22LR.

After a couple passes with dry, then wet, then dry patches, my plan was to run a few hundred rounds of "bulk" ammo to break in the barrel, then move to the "good stuff" to check which was the most accurate (and then I would begin bulk purchases). As it turned out, I ran out of time and was only able to shoot 19 groups of bulk ammo, but I tracked the results, and here they are!

Ammo used:
Aguila Super Extra

Federal "Target Grade" bulk

Federal "Game Shok" Bulk

CCI Mini-Mag

Winchester Bulk 36g Copper HP

RESULTS:

All shots taken from a bench rest (Caldwell Stinger)
Wind was "light and variable" - maybe 1-5 mph
Range: 50 yards
Temp: 75 degrees
Scope: Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 AO

22 groups of 5 shots recorded:

Compared to my only other 22LR (an old, abused Marlin model 60), these results were amazing for this cheap ammo - group sizes were about half that of the Marlin. That being said, they were pretty inconsistent, as might be expected. Also the sample sizes are honestly too small to derive statistically relevant conclusions, but it does give some general idea of relative accuracy and consistency.

Some observations:

1. The CCI Mini-mags are the most expensive (I paid $0.081 with tax & shipping) yet delivered the worst performance.

2. The Aguila were the cheapest ($0.052 with tax & shipping) and delivered the second poorest performance.

3. The Aguila did, however, leave nice black imprinted circles of either lube or carbon soot around each of the holes on the target paper. :D

4. My gut feeling is that the most accurate/consistent was the Winchester 36g bulk ammo (36g copper HP), with the Federal "Target grade" (lead RN) almost neck & neck with it. More experience may show them to be very similar or swap places.

I'm hoping my home range opens up for this coming weekend (its been closed for a month due to fires) and if so, I'll shoot a bunch more bulk ammo and then start recording results with the "good stuff" I've got on hand (Eley, Wolf, CCI, etc). Stay tuned for more results...

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
The other factor to throw in the mix will be the speed of each type of ammo.

Looking forward to the next test results.

Your lucky; my local public range has been closed since the 4th of December for remodel and upgrades.

Bill

WPS

PS. One of my buddies is out west working on the choppers the fire crews are flying. Thousands of of parts rotating around an oil leak waiting to happen.

#6 ·
Try the Aguila Pistol Match. In my 455, this stuff will run with Wolf MT and surpass it on some occasions. It's surprisingly good ammo, and just happens to be somewhat cheap for "match" ammo.

My usually plinking ammo is Geco (semi auto) and Aguila subsonic. Both shoot not bad at all. But when I'm really trying to group, I run UM22 or Wolf MT.

I only had the one box of Aguila Pistol Match (APM). But I was impressed and will buy more. I have two boxes of the Aguila Rifle Match that I've not yet tried.

#7 ·
Today I picked up more ammo to try when I get to the "Good Stuff" - amazingly, all purchased from Big 5 with a 15% off coupon:

CCI SV - $3.59
Aguila Rifle Match - $5.09
Aguila Pistol Match - $5.09
RWS subsonic - $8.49
RWS Target Pistol - $7.64
RWS Rifle Match - $10.49

Looking at the shelves at Big 5, I can confidently say that the 22LR ammo shortage is over! :D

Will report back with results when I get to shooting it up. I should mention that my intended purpose for this rifle is not match shooting, but small game, so reliable "minute of rabbit head" is what I'm looking for.

#9 ·
All the rf I shoot is in an IZH-35M but the cheapest most consistent ammo has been the Aguila 40gr subsonic. Even the SV super extra is extremely reliable but I seem to get more velocity changes with it than I do with the subsonic. I think they say it is about 1,050fps. Larry

#11 ·
I wonder why subsonic 22LR are generally reported as being more accurate. I know when reloading relatively small projectiles (like 7.62x39) too high a muzzle velocity causes instability at some point, depending on barrel length and twist rate. Wonder if it's the same thing. (I'll confess I don't even know the twist rate of the 455 as compare to other 22LR rifles)

#12 ·
My understanding is that a bullet becomes slightly unstable in flight when it transitions from supersonic to subsonic. For something like the CC Mini-Mag, it drops from supersonic to subsonic in the 40 to 50 yard range, which is obviously a common distance for shooting .22lr. Smarter people than me can confirm this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.