Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Super-X reduced noise ammo

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  armtx 
#1 ·
Came across a couple of boxes of Super-X Subsonic Truncated Cone Hollow Point ammo earlier today. Bought both @ $4.99ea. + tax.

Had not seen this ammo before, or perhaps its been so long since I looked at any variety of .22LR ammo on the shelf that I'd forgotten it was out there :eek:
Looks interesting. 40grain lead bullet w/a huge hollow point. Says 'reduced noise' on the box. 1065 fps. Made in Australia. Also on the back of the box it says "great for small game & pest control" and "highly accurate". The cartridges are individually packed in a plastic holder/rack & bear the std. Super-X headstamp.

Product code is: X22LRSUBA

The two boxes isn't much, but its adequate to do some 50 yd. test groups with, if the winds will just behave & let me have a nice afternoon to doit. The bullet certainly looks like it would be a good small game performer & at that speed would be safe for use in the older High Standard .22LR chambered pistols as well. They depict a squirrel and a poisonous snake on the box. :)

Anyone have experience w/this ammo?

FWIW, I see ads for subsonic Australian 45grain Max Hollow Point lead bullet .22MAG ammo loaded to that same speed also made by Winchester in copies of Feathers & Fur, a sporting magazine a friend sends me from Oz. I've never seen any of that ammo for sale here, but I would like to. I'm sure both rounds are intended for those hunters using attenuated rifles or doing varmint control in populated areas.

Product code for that 22MAG ammo is: 22MSUB45

See less See more
#3 ·
Great squirrel hunting ammo. Accurate, fairly quiet, and deadly. The noise of the bullet hitting the squirrel is louder than the sound of the round going off.

At least it seems that way. :rolleyes:

Bass Pro had some last week as part of a Christmas special - $5 a box. Not a great deal but they'd sent me a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase. I picked up the max of five boxes and got them for $15. That was a good deal.

#5 ·
I have found the 40g SSHP to be pretty accurate in a couple of rifles and the HP delivers devastating results on vermin.

I tested 8 flavors of SSHP through my Ruger LVT a couple years back and in that particular rifle. Only RWS and Eley out shot it at 35m and 50m (My squirrel sight in range is 35m).
I recently aquired a Cz 452 American and the WIN SSHP performed very well for me through that rifle as well.

I paid $100 for a brick of it back in '13. Probably overpaid, but ammo was difficult to find back than.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.