Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

More ammo choices for my 10/22

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rawhp 
#1 · (Edited)
Since shortening the chamber on my Green Mountain barrel I never got around making a corresponding adjustment to my homemade tuner. I did the Purdy calcs, which told me to shorten the tuner length by 0.01". I made the adjustment, before heading to the range on Friday. I mentioned in another post that I'm not trying to tune for absolute best accuracy on one type of ammo, but looking for respectable accuracy from several non-premium ammo types, since by mid-2017, thanks to the new laws in my state, my ability access quality (or any) ammo will be severely limited (no online ammo, etc.), so I'm looking for maximum flexibility.

So far, CCI Std, GECO Semi-Auto, SK+, and Wolf Match Target all shoot reliably under 1/2 at 50 yards. TAC-22, Match-22, Eley Club, and Agulla Super Extra Std all shoot at 1/2" or a tad over. I tried Eley Club after the chamber mod, so I decided to try it again on Friday, along with Wolf Match Extra, and GECO Match, which I hadn't tried yet.

I hadn't made it to the range in about 6 months. It was windy all summer this year, 10-15mph; not worth wasting ammo on. Friday was great weather, 4-5mph wind.

Got rid of most of the cobwebs after a couple of targets, but I still need more trigger time. The adjustment seemed to make a noticeable improvement with the Eley ammo, and the other two shot OK too. I only brought a box of each for testing. I also tried a few groups with CCI Std, GECO Semi-Auto, and SK+ as a control and they all shot sub 1/2" like before, so I was satisfied. Another shooter at the range shooting his 10/22 came by my bench and tossed me 15 rounds of RWS 50 to try. It grouped sub 1/2", but with a really nice cloverleaf pattern that I like seeing. I think it could do better with it, and the rest of the ammo, with more trigger time (and with more rounds to season the barrel to each type).

Now I have a few more buying options as I accumulate more ammo each month, until I can't.

Here are the targets I shot after warming up. I shot the Wolf first, and Eley last. I'm pretty sure I could do better with the Wolf, since I've done a lot better with Match Target on other days.

Wolf Match Extra:

GECO Match:

Eley Club:

See less See more
#3 ·
You could befriend someone in the next state perhaps and make a biannual trip there for ammo?

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Hmm, my mother inlaw lives in Vegas...but that means I'd have to visit my mother inlaw.:eek: Based on online research, Vegas ammo prices don't look so good either; but they do have a Bass Pro Shop there. There is a Cabela's in Reno, so that wouldn't be a bad drive; and they have a ship to store option...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.