Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen trigger job - worth it?

I just got a Mark IV Hunter. The out of the box trigger is about 3lbs. It has some creep but it is smooth, not gritty. Is theVOLQUARTSEN trigger kit going to give me much improvement?

I have the Tandemkross victory trigger on order. Iím hoping to get the trigger close to my Buckmark with Volquartsen hammer and sear spring at 2 1/4 lbs.

Will the creep likely be improved by the VQ kit on my Mk IV?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
AndersonTech

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It made a significant improvement on my MKIV Hunter.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it creep or some pre travel ? Some pre travel is normal. Sounds like you got a good stock trigger pull. I put the VQ kit in mine.bout 2.5 pull. I donít like triggers that feel like pulling a cat off a screen door!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper bill View Post
Is it creep or some pre travel ? Some pre travel is normal. Sounds like you got a good stock trigger pull. I put the VQ kit in mine.bout 2.5 pull. I donít like triggers that feel like pulling a cat off a screen door!
Ir has a little pre travel and I like a little. It is creep, the kind you need to close your eyes to feel.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:28 PM
bubba68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you like to spend money for the Volquartsen kit and want to have a drop in assembly that will probably get you down to around a 2.5 lb trigger pull go for it.

If you like to work on your own guns you can get down to a 2.5 lb trigger pull by polishing everything that moves and lightly stone or use fine sandpaper to remove some metal from the hammer and sear notches.

I have a MK IV 22/45 target and I was able to get it down to a 2.5 lb trigger pull by reworking the internal parts also eliminated all creep. After reading all of the reviews and raves of the Volquartsen kit I decided to drink the cool aid and buy one for mine.

After I put it in it was closer to 3 lbs so I had to polish up the sear and hammer to get it down to 2.5 lbs. A lot of folks on here have put the kit in and it has given them a 2.5 lb trigger or lighter without any other work on it. Results seem to vary from gun to gun.

Your call and your money what way you want to do. Good luck either way.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:15 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
If you like to spend money for the Volquartsen kit and want to have a drop in assembly that will probably get you down to around a 2.5 lb trigger pull go for it.

If you like to work on your own guns you can get down to a 2.5 lb trigger pull by polishing everything that moves and lightly stone or use fine sandpaper to remove some metal from the hammer and sear notches.

I have a MK IV 22/45 target and I was able to get it down to a 2.5 lb trigger pull by reworking the internal parts also eliminated all creep. After reading all of the reviews and raves of the Volquartsen kit I decided to drink the cool aid and buy one for mine.

After I put it in it was closer to 3 lbs so I had to polish up the sear and hammer to get it down to 2.5 lbs. A lot of folks on here have put the kit in and it has given them a 2.5 lb trigger or lighter without any other work on it. Results seem to vary from gun to gun.

Your call and your money what way you want to do. Good luck either way.
Thanks for the insight. Thereís really nothing to lose by messing with the existing parts by polishing some. I like to tinker so Iíll give it a go. I could use the $100 .
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your not going to put a VQ kit in it you may want to install the TK blast shield. It will eliminate the magazine disconnect and the trigger creep may go away as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Try putting several hundred rounds of ammo through the gun first before you do change anything. The mating surfaces of the hammer & sear may just need a little time to wear in.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The VQ kit in my MKIV broke around 2.1lbs the day I put it in measuring from the bottom of the trigger (lowest reading you will get of course, practical or not). 9000rds later it breaks at 1.25lbs. The pre-travel and overtravel adjustments make a big difference as well as the sear dropping the pull weight.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience has been with pre-MKIV models, but in all 3 cases, the money spent on the Volquartsen accuracy kit has been money very well spent. The trigger alone offers much finer tuning than stock, and that's just the beginning.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have done 3 in the past year and a half. MKIV at 1.25lbs. Pair of MKIII 22/45's at 1.5lbs each.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM
plinker62451

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed the volquartsen kit in mine and it made a big difference to me. Worth every penny I spent.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My last Mark IV came with a 3 3/4 pound trigger. I decided to stone the internals myself first to see what I could do and got a nice 2.5 pound trigger. It still had a lot of take-up so I put in one of my Volquartsen triggers from when I replaced a trigger with the Tandemkross Victory Trigger.

This made a big difference. Trigger felt fine but my other 2 Marks have 1.5 pound triggers so I ordered the Accurizing Kit from Tandemkross that doesn't have the replacement trigger in it. Saved a few buck that way.

Now the gun shoots great with a 1.5 pound trigger like my others. For me, it was worth it. These guns are strictly for practice and for competition, Steel Challenge. When someone wants to try them I warn them to first dry fire it to see what the trigger is like. I don't want any accidental firings.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you have a factory MK IV with a 3# pull, you got an exceptional one (or one with work already done.) Most are coming through with thriggers in the mid to upper 4's.
A full or partial Volquartsen trigger job will likley get you into the 2.2-2.5# range but the trigger will become very crisp and creep free. These parts definatly allow he shooter to get the most accuracy out of their guns. Whether that's worth the cost of the parts is something only you can decide.
FWIW, I have some mix of volquartsen fire control parts in all 9 of my MK IV pistols. No regrets.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for all the input.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I have a Buckmark and the trigger pull went from 5 to 2.25 lbs with the VQ hammer and sear spring. I added the VQ trigger with the overtravel screw. I had to adjust for pretravel on that with a dremel, which was time consuming, requiring a lot of trial and error.

I just ordered the Tandemkross Victory trigger for the MarkIV. I'll likely end up getting the Volquartsen accurizing kit from them.

It is really surprising how nice of a gun this is for the money. Getting the trigger the best it can be(for $only $100) will complete the circuit.

Now, if my square notch rear sight blade would get here ! This v notch rear is making me crazy.