Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anyone Have A Chiappa Single Action Revolver?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  dixiesanders3 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Chiappa 12” bbl single action .22LR BUNTLINE revolver. Anyone who owns one have any opinions on the Chiappa single action revolvers?

PLEASE, don’t post unless you actually own one! Thanks!

#3 ·
With regard to the GeneS/CraigC situation, there were times that I thought a product was probably too cheap, but once in my possesion, I found it was a lot better than I originally thought.

I'm sure we've all been to the other extreme as well, so there is a difference..........

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, I would like to see a range report too just out of curiosity. I bought one right after they came on the market. I though it would be handy to throw in the seat of the truck without paying too much attention to keeping it pretty and it was ideal for that. It appeared to be better than the Heritage but I missed how wide the cylinder gap was. It proved to be fairly accurate and it never gave me any problem except for getting sprinkled with burning powder in the face when the wind was blowing and it's almost always blowing here. I traded it on another gun and it was gone from the dealer in less than a week.

The LGS has one with an 8" barrel in 17 HMR in the showcase and I've looked it over pretty closely. It appears Chiappa has improved the quality a bit over my early one. It's finished better and the cylinder to barrel gap is quite small although I didn't check it with a feeler guage. It also has a very nice trigger. I know it's a cheap single action but it keeps hanging around in the back of my mind. It's not close to a Ruger but it's not terrible either.

My personal opinion is I would choose the Chiappa over a Heritage but you know what opinions are worth.

While we are bragging about when we purchased our first handgun I'll throw in that I bought my first one in 1956 and with my own money. I found it to be excellent for keeping the turtles cleaned out of our stock tank.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
That’s fine OldWolf and really didn’t mean to stir up any controversy with my thread. Just asking if there were any REAL owners of Chiappa revolvers and their thoughts.

Thanks to members who responded positively and I will come back and let folks know what I think after I shoot it. Thanks again!

#10 ·
Thought I’d bring this thread up again. I don’t have a range report just an impromptu report as we live rural and I shot it in the back of our little cabin here.

I’ve put many rounds through it and it shoots great! I had to adjust the sights some but I’m very pleased. Had about 2” groups at 25 yards which is fine with me. Cylinder locks up tight and cylinder gap is very acceptable. Trigger is very nice also. Have had no problems so far and I’m glad I bought it.

It’s a hell of a lot better shooter than the Heritage Rough Rider I bought new and traded away awhile back.

I had a set of old Staglon grips lying around and with a little bit of filing and drilling a couple of shallow new holes for the Buntline’s grip posts, they fit really nice. They look great on the Buntline!

Attachments

#11 ·
I just gave away a shorter one. One of the other range officers at our club had one, the hand (pawl) broke, the pin sheared off of it. This high wear, high stress part is made of zinc. He gave me the Pistol because the part was going to cost him 1/2 the price of a new pistol. I fixed it, verified it worked, and passed it along to another shooter who was holding of on a handgun until he could afford one. Other than the zinc frame and parts, and the fact that they are held together with self tapping sheet metal screws, and are basically junk; it hits the target at 20 yards, every time!!

#12 ·
I just gave away a shorter one. One of the other range officers at our club had one, the hand (pawl) broke, the pin sheared off of it. This high wear, high stress part is made of zinc. He gave me the Pistol because the part was going to cost him 1/2 the price of a new pistol. I fixed it, verified it worked, and passed it along to another shooter who was holding of on a handgun until he could afford one. Other than the zinc frame and parts, and the fact that they are held together with self tapping sheet metal screws, and are basically junk; it hits the target at 20 yards, every time!!
Seriously? Are these things really held together with self-tapping sheet metal screws?

#13 ·
I bought a 16" barrel one with adjustable sights to try the Annie Oakley mirror shot. Haven't fired it but it seemed well built for the $130 I paid for it new. Hernty's are zinc also so it's not the end of the world. North or South Carolina couldn't sell Henry's for a while because of an old law on the books to keep out saterday night specials with so much zinc.