Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

rechambering 17hm2 single shot

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  wkd 
#1 ·
Just like the title says. I wanted to know the possibility of being able to rechamber the 17hm2 into something else. I do know that shop carries both 17HMR and 17WSM regularly. But i dont even know if that is a possibility.

My local gunshop for years has had an old H&R 17hm2 single shot on the discount rack for about $175. I dont think anyone wants it because it had been tacti****ed. It has some weird rubber corn cob handguard and a M4 stock adaptor with a pistol grip.

If i do get it it will have wood furniture placed back on it, so that is my second question, how easy is it to find wooden furniture for the H&R break barrels? I havent turned up much in stock any where.

Also, how do i find out which receiver style this has? I cant seem to find any of the bookmarked threads i had on the H&R break barrel guns from when i wanted to get several of them.

#4 ·
IS there anywhere that documents this firing pin modification? If it is pretty easy to do it might make a a fun winter project(like i don't have enough of those already!).

If i was to turn it into a HMR, how would the reamer cut the extractor at the same time? Do you leave it in the barrel when you cut the new chamber?

#3 ·
I can't speak to the best one to ream it to. At least one guy on here went all the way to wsm, but can't remember what else was done.

Looks like brownells and midway both no longer sell the factory 2x4 stocks but do stock the choate synthetic ones. Looks like ebay has a few in the 50$ range for a set. Go ahead and get a finger up one cheaper, the stocks were poorly fit from factory and need serious sanding.

Keep in mind the cost of reaming a chamber plus $175 plus a stock will likely have you into quality HMR bolt rifles .

#5 ·
I can't speak to the best one to ream it to. At least one guy on here went all the way to wsm, but can't remember what else was done.

Looks like brownells and midway both no longer sell the factory 2x4 stocks but do stock the choate synthetic ones. Looks like ebay has a few in the 50$ range for a set. Go ahead and get a finger up one cheaper, the stocks were poorly fit from factory and need serious sanding.

Keep in mind the cost of reaming a chamber plus $175 plus a stock will likely have you into quality HMR bolt rifles .
I dont even know which furniture will fit this gun. But I am more concerned about the forearm, that would need to go almost immediately. But the buttstock eventually as well.

#6 · (Edited)
You do not need to modify the firing pin for it to work I have made up several WSM barrels for H&R's and they set off the WSM with the firing pin in the same location as it is with the LR or HMR. When you cut the ejector you take the spring out and then put little bits of paper under the ejector so it is a few thousanths above the breach end, then ream the chamber, the ejector is part of the chamber and supports the rim and part of the body of the case, so if it is loose it may bulge the case or blow out the rim. PM me, I have a reamer for the WSM. Larry

PS: All the stock pieces from any center fire or shotgun will fit the sportster as long as it came from a gun that has the thumb release beside the hammer. Early ones with the brased on stud that takes the 1/4 28 screw will require you to relieve the wood on the inside so the newer forearm stud will fit properly.

#13 · (Edited)
Well the HM2 has a cult like following and like most cults their idol can do nothing wrong. Haha, sort of a joke, but not really. The round is orphaned, some day it will be gone, now it is very hard to find, like the 5mm rf mag. But people still like both of them and if you do have one and like it there is nothing better. PS: Buy the gun, the barrel will fetch over $200.00 on Ebay and you will still have the frame and ugly stock to sell if you don't rechamber it. Larry

#17 · (Edited)
Likely you will always be able to find HM2 ammo some place, but, it will become more and more difficult to find and more and more expensive when you do find it. If it were such a great round there would be lots of guns made for it, fact is, I don't believe there is a single new production gun being made now. It was pretty much doomed after the disaster it created with 10/22's. Larry

#18 ·
If you look around on here you may see a post that says they have a NEW factory that is ready to produce this ammo. The price has been going down again now that supply of ALL rimfire is becoming easier to come by. For a while the gougers were screwing everyone. Did that mean the .22 LR was DOOMED too? LOL. Savage I know makes a m2 right NOW! Not sure about Annie, Kimber, or Cooper....don't stay up on them to be honest. I have two m2s now and really don't NEED another. One bolt a CZ and one of those Ruger 10/22 conversions that works Great! If you don't clean your firearms when they need it EVERY one will give you issues. The m2 may need to be cleaned more than most, but depending on what you are doing it really fills it's role nicely. Well above average IME. Geez, I have seen people converting Revolvers and Semi-auto Pistols to m2. Must be a little following yet? I would love either.

#22 ·
[QUOTE= About 2 years ago the price of hmr ammo was 2 Times the cost of m2 ammo. Do you get 2 times the Performance????
Depends on what you are shooting. M2 is an excellent long range round for small critters up to about 10 lbs, anything heavier and the HMR begins to shine. Had an M2 and it was no more accurate than any of my good 22 lr rifles just a flatter trajectory.

#25 ·
About 2 years ago the price of hmr ammo was 2 Times the cost of m2 ammo. Do you get 2 times the Performance???? Depends on what you are shooting. M2 is an excellent long range round for small critters up to about 10 lbs said:
You get twice the velocity? You get twice the range? You get half size 5 shot groups....Lol. No freaking way!!! Lol But, as stated for $1 more roughly you do get 500 Fps more and some say a bump in accuracy with the WSM over the hmr.

#23 ·
If that were true, where did all the short magnum centerfire calibers go? Don't see any 1000 yd shooters using short fat cases.
In all fairness, the 6mmBR is popular, I have a 20BR but really don't find it any more accurate than my 20 Swift, it is just slower. I am thinking this is thread drift about being able to rechamber a HM2 to 17WSM.
Larry

#24 ·
Ya, this thread seems to have drifted all over the place. Which is fine with me as it brought up some interesting points that i havent considered.

But the main focus of this was to see if the 17 HM2 could be rechambered to 17HMR or 17 WSM since no local shops carry 17 HM2 combined with the fact also that it is hard to find online as well, but the shop that i will be buying this from always has 17 HMR and 17 WSM ammo. Which is what spurred the question in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.