TPC Rating: 
100% (18)

That is Gorgeous Evan. Just Beautiful.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 AM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Such patience! I think you can give up your day job and concentrate on stocks now. Get a chance to go fishing?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks fellas! Alum572 I've managed to sneak out and catch a few. Took a weekend trip to the Driftless region of Wisconsin (Viroqua area) with my brother and cousin and got on some stream trout. Lots of fun.

Then last month my wife and I got out in the canoe, this time with big heavy rigs, and I finally ran into a decent muskie after pursuing them for awhile. Was trolling a big blue jointed X-Rap while holding the rod with my legs (I call it the Boundary Waters troll from where I learned it) and it hit hard. Yup I have a bigger net now too.

About 40" and pushing 17-18 pounds, I think, and its a tiger muskie too. Released it to get even bigger for next time. This was in Robbinsdale, no joke.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Great to see you get out. Thanks for the nice pics, too! Good catch.

Last edited by alum572; 07-23-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (230)
Hey, Evan, that fishing is a nice sideline. That is a beautiful trout -- a Brookie, I think? And a Brown. And a very nice Muskie (don't think I'll ever catch one of those). You remember what the captain said in Jaws. You need a bigger boat, er, net.

Doug
Old 07-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
EK, I had to compliment you on one more thing with Dougs stock. Wanted to wait until things started winding down a fuzz to post this. Not as much thunder as a nice checkering job, but IMO very important with that beautiful piece of wood. Thats the grain filling.

One thing that drives me nuts is 'muddy' pores, where your edges are crisp and sharp.

Something not so easy to accomplish with oil based finishes, without a lot of extra effort.
The oil in the finish bleeding through the inner sidewalls of the pores before it sets is one problem, and the filler (whatever it may be) itself muddied from the oil is another.

You have neither. Hats off to you.

Nice job!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:45 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (230)
Everything about this stock is perfection. Evan re-contoured the bottom of the stock where it joins the grip, every pore is filled, the checkering was done in a pain-staking manner to remove all the fuzz and assure perfect diamonds. The grip cap and butt plate were made out of ebony and buffalo horn, respectively, with the buffalo horn in particular requiring much preparation. And the finish itself enhances the figure and color with a depth that is wonderful. Truly a work of art. Did I mention that I am impressed!

Doug
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
Great to see you get out. Thanks for the nice pics, too! Good catch.
Thanks, you're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Hey, Evan, that fishing is a nice sideline. That is a beautiful trout -- a Brookie, I think? And a Brown. And a very nice Muskie (don't think I'll ever catch one of those). You remember what the captain said in Jaws. You need a bigger boat, er, net.

Doug
Yup, a brook trout and a couple of browns. Might be a long time 'til I see another muskie too, even if I'm chasing them. Ya know landing big fish in the canoe is half the fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblades View Post
EK, I had to compliment you on one more thing with Dougs stock. Wanted to wait until things started winding down a fuzz to post this. Not as much thunder as a nice checkering job, but IMO very important with that beautiful piece of wood. Thats the grain filling.

One thing that drives me nuts is 'muddy' pores, where your edges are crisp and sharp.

Something not so easy to accomplish with oil based finishes, without a lot of extra effort.
The oil in the finish bleeding through the inner sidewalls of the pores before it sets is one problem, and the filler (whatever it may be) itself muddied from the oil is another.

You have neither. Hats off to you.

Nice job!

Thanks! The filler is wood dust, packed into the pores via wet sanding. You know who I learned that from. Once that process is complete I started "sealing" up the grain and filled pores with thinned finish- really painting the stuff on until the stock is saturated and repeating 'til it stops taking on finish like a sponge. Then I still wet sand with finish to ensure every single pore is taken care of before cleaning up the stock via wet sanding with water. This to remove the mess built up around the pores from the filling process and ensure the surface is flat. Once that is done I move on to topcoating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Everything about this stock is perfection. Evan re-contoured the bottom of the stock where it joins the grip, every pore is filled, the checkering was done in a pain-staking manner to remove all the fuzz and assure perfect diamonds. The grip cap and butt plate were made out of ebony and buffalo horn, respectively, with the buffalo horn in particular requiring much preparation. And the finish itself enhances the figure and color with a depth that is wonderful. Truly a work of art. Did I mention that I am impressed!

Doug
Thanks again Doug, needless to say I'm glad you enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Evan, If you like slurry sanding, there is a step further that you can try if your interested.
Not so much the end result, as obviously you have a handle on that, so dont take the below as direction. Just something you might want to play with that I like to do.

When you are taking the slurry off and get down to the residue film, load some bottled water in a airbrush. The HF one works fine.

Mist a section at a time (wet but not standing water so as to re-float the dust), and work it lightly with the polished side of some with some water 'charged the same' medium weight leather (I use 8 oz). Dont want to scrub and burnish the wood though. If it starts to grab, rewet it. Not a lot of water is used so that will happen frequently.
I find that that weight of leather is heavy enough to stay flat, yet can conform to most contours. If you find a pile of dried residue, you can flip it over and use the coarse side to lightly work off the bulk.

There is a moment of dampness when the dust hits a 'grease' between wet and dry. I find that is the money area and can work it deeper into the pores, or remove it completely.

What it will do is light up any missed residue, missed open pores, sanding scratches, grain sanding tears from a reversal, and a whole host of other things.

Plus it also works well for packing pores during filling.

Mineral spirits would do the same, but not really conducive to the project. Plus if one were using MS, instead your only dealing with a mist of water to wait to dry to correct the issue (for a couple minutes max).

Last edited by Oldblades; 07-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:15 PM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I appreciate the tip- definitely willing to give it a shot and I've got pieces of old belt leather on hand. Anything to help make the pore filling process more efficient is good.