If at first you don't succeed try try another barrel - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If at first you don't succeed try try another barrel

You can't go wrong with the GM, HT, 17 inch barrels. I purchased mine after reading how well they shot per Vincent, a good while ago, and I am glad I did. My GM,HT, is just as good as my more expensive, Volq. 18 inch, SS, barrel. I don't know what GM did with this barrel; however, it is a best buy for the money, in my opinion. They really held the chamber, and run-out to an excellence that is hard to compete with, and an excellent crown---perhaps, the tooling was new when this barrel was conceived, and results show on the grouping. Perhaps, the crown at 17 inches, landed right on a good node!!
The grouping at 50, with Blazer ammo, is not bad at all. The target ammo, should really be great. Try some SK Standard Plus, or Rifle ammo--these shoot in all my rifles very well.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
have one 10/22 that I want to put an aftermarket barrel on and not to concerned about the price between the GM, Kidd and Feddersen just want the one that would have the best accuracy capability. I know a lot depends on my shooting
ability too probably as much or more than the barrel.

I have read a lot of reviews on the forum about the different barrels and they all get good reviews but if I am going to spend money on one would like to get the best of the three.
If your just looking to get the most accurate barrel you can and not too concerned about the small difference in price, then between the 3 the Kidd or Feddersen .920 barrels are pretty much a tossup. Kidd has the 1/2" gaurantee and Feddersen stands behind every barrel they make so if you are not happy with them they will refund or replace. GM barrels can be hit or miss (no pun intended) but their heavy taper barrels seem to be very accurate for whatever reason.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Kidd 20" taper gets my vote, it's has the same look and feel as the factory barrel on an LVT.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
I've been through northern IN many times driving back & forth from back east so yes its not as flat as southern IN. The rolling dune country gives it some texture compared to down south.
Not really on topic but ya need to do a reality check..... Southern IN along the I 64 corridor is anything but flat. From Evansville to Louisville KY its much like the Ozarks and even the lower elevation of the Smokey's.

JMHO......
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Talyn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Not really on topic but ya need to do a reality check..... Southern IN along the I 64 corridor is anything but flat. From Evansville to Louisville KY its much like the Ozarks and even the lower elevation of the Smokey's.

JMHO......
Well my reality check was driving I-70 across through OH, IN and then I-74 through Illinois then up to Davenport. It was flat the whole way.

My normal routes driving back is up on I-80, the IN & OH turnpikes & its pretty flat up there too. So going the southern route through Columbus to go to, and through Dayton on I-70 didn't take me anywhere near I-64.

Flat is relative to where one lives, and I get to look at a 9,000 ft. mountain about 5 air miles away out my front door every day, and I live at 3200. here's a ~1,000 ft.+ higher un-named hill about 1/2 mile due east of me.

Last edited by Talyn; 07-22-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 PM
YodaFlair18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
I've been through northern IN many times driving back & forth from back east so yes its not as flat as southern IN. The rolling dune country gives it some texture compared to down south.

JMHO......

Nothing but truth in that statement...
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Thatís funny I live in Gary, even the Chicago Thugs think twice about coming here! We are well armed and experienced But I could come to Montana, I have a big can of Bear spray in the car Butid have to swap out the 1022 TD for my FAL paratrooper as the truck gun
When I drive the usual northern route I try to get through all that s. Chicago metro area plus Gary, IN highway stuff has fast as possible.

Yea bear spray is the first thing to carry and use out here, with a firearm as a back-up. My PARAs are a bit heavy to lug up and down the hills (aka mtns) so my back-up is either a 329PD or 10mm.

The griz population is expanding and we're getting more hanging out in my area compared to the past s one has to be bear aware especially in berry & fall hunting seasons when the black bears and griz are packing on the weight for the winter.

I also keep my bear spray handy in the event of a two-legged encounter. That stuff will put you down & incapacitated fast.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I like bear spray too ! Not as loud as a gun, and almost as accurate
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yeah I like bear spray too ! Not as loud as a gun, and almost as accurate
With the bears you have to aim low with the spray since if they're charging you they'll run right under your initial aim. You want them to run through a fog of the spray.

But if you're in thick brush and get surprised at close range then spray the best you can.

Plus, try to have the wind at your back

Last edited by Talyn; 07-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.