Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Almost a perfect day.

Took the 452 out for the first time hunting. Just used it casual target till now. Two shots-two kills in the first 2 hrs or so. Didn't see anything after that for awile so moved and waited. After awile I heard one chewing on a nut in a tree so waited around and with about 10 min of good shooting left he started up the tree. Im about 20 yrds out and he's 30 feet or so up one of the biggest trees around. He stops so I take aim ,pull slowly and CLICK. 100s of rounds through the gun and I get my first dud of the year. By the time I chamber another he's almost to the top. Higher than the distance I am to the tree. Knowing Im loosing light and wont get another shot I rushed it and with my body contorted cause he was so high and I was using a standing bipod I flubbed it. Total miss. Had him dead to rights on the first shot but thats my luck.

That being said the gun with the grand slam 3-12 that natchez had on sale is awesome in the woods out to 50 yrds. Love the setup. Was using sk standard.

Last edited by Hobbiest; 01-18-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
While one gets away, you can bag him next time.

Hard to have much of a better day!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 AM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's really annoying about .22 RF misfires is that if you later single load it, making sure the firing pin will strike at a different point on the rim, it will probably fire just fine - the primer formed a letter "c" in the rim, instead of a complete letter "o", and,as luck would have it, driven by Murphy's law, your firing pin landed on the void. Bummer; you have our deep sympathies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry you didn't get the shot off when you had 'em, but you got a couple, and that one will be there to make more for next time. Sounds like a good day, even if it wasn't perfect. Thanks for sharing.

JMK
Old 01-19-2017, 03:39 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, at least you got to get out and pull the trigger some. This was my dashboard this morning. That "minus" means what it says.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Lucky squirrel.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yeah it was 46 and sunny. Every warm day has been very cloudy or rainy till yesterday. Pretty nice out this time of year for Illinois.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like a ton of fun to me! At least humor us with rifle and game pics
Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Not set up for pics. Before someone tells me how easy it is I don't Facebook,twitter or have a smart phone. Im the oldest 45 yr old there is. I just keep reading how lots of people think its a pain and figure it will be 10x harder for me. If I set it up though I wouldn't mind posting pics. Think Im going out again today. When I first came up on the spot where I missed I scattered 3 squirrels and theres walnuts around so I figure its a good place to sit. Trying to figure out whats good weather patterns. Usually do good if the suns out if there is no wind, even if its cold. Cloudy days are hit and miss, even warm ones. Been times Ive seen lots out when driving in a light rain.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbiest View Post
Not set up for pics. Before someone tells me how easy it is I don't Facebook,twitter or have a smart phone. Im the oldest 45 yr old there is. I just keep reading how lots of people think its a pain and figure it will be 10x harder for me. If I set it up though I wouldn't mind posting pics. Think Im going out again today. When I first came up on the spot where I missed I scattered 3 squirrels and theres walnuts around so I figure its a good place to sit. Trying to figure out whats good weather patterns. Usually do good if the suns out if there is no wind, even if its cold. Cloudy days are hit and miss, even warm ones. Been times Ive seen lots out when driving in a light rain.
Well, you do e-mail, right? E-mail them to me and I will post them for you.

We need to look out for the "younger generation."
Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 PM
brenne93

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
any day with a walk in the woods with a rifle is a

**** good day.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Did have a perfect day today. Didn't get pics in the field do to light but going out to clean everything and take pics now. If you would post the pics for me I could email them or text them.
After Im done cleaning, eating and put the kids to bed Ill tell you how it went.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Dont know if anyone wants to see pics. I don't usually take them so they are just on a garage floor and I forgot the gun (they most important part ).Pics defiantly look better taken in the woods or outdoors.
Never been raccoon hunting but I want to say up front don't go out for them with subsonic ammo. Head shots or no head shots. First part of the day I grabbed the 452 and sk standard ammo and headed to the range to check zero as I getting different poi depending on the weather. It can fluctuate easy 30 deg week to week in the winter. After that I grabbed my back pack and collapsible chair and headed out for squirrel. After about 45 min a small to med sized raccoon crawled out of one of the trees I was watching and looking kinda sleepy turn fully my way(don't think it actually saw me). So i lined up on the center of his head and let loose. His head pops back a tad and he shakes it a little like he just sneezed and starts climbing down the tree. I put two body shots in him and he acted like he didn't feel them. When he got to the ground he wallked off slowly along a ridge with brush piles around 40 yrds away so I thought I could cut him off. By the time I got up the ridge he was gone. Didn't know if back up the tree or in one of the stumps but I looked everywhere and didn't see him so I went and sat back down. About 30 min later a squirrel from another tree starts making its way over to the big tree through the branches. Just as it reaches the tree I notice a racoon above it crawling out of a hole from another hole in a different fork than before. So I lined up again on the head and nothing. One to the body, nothing. Took a third shot lower neck higher shoulder and finally it falls out of the tree and hobbles away wounded so I was able to run up with in 15 feet and finish it. I don't know if it was the same one, going to try to look better in daylighht but the finishing shoot did enough damage it was hard to tell if the was a previous shot to the cenetr of the head. I learned a lot about the limits of subsonic though.

By this time Im really starting to question the accuracy of the gun cause I couldn't believe it shook off a head shot like that. However 4 shots and four squirrels later at the same distance my confidence was back. 2 head shots, one lung shot and one that was supposed to be a head shot was looking right at me body leanth wise and it went in just under the chin and out a back leg. That one was a mess after skinning and I was only able to salvage one back leg. Great day over all for being out 3 hrs.

All 5 animals within 30' circle so was an easy cleanup.

Last edited by Hobbiest; 01-25-2017 at 10:10 AM.