Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 PM
TAB
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
550 1 and 510 Range Day - Thanks

About six months ago, I got a 510 and 550 1 from my father in law. I asked a lot of questions on this board on scopes, tear down, and parts and got excellent advice. I had them reblued and put a Swift 3-9x40 scope on the 510. They had their first day at the range today.

The 510 would do 3" 5-shot groups at 100 meters. That was my first day with a scope, I'm sure it would do better with someone who knows what they are doing. The 550 1 was 6" groups at 50 meters. Most of that was my old eyes and the iron sights. What do you use for the sight picture, front bead at the bottom of the V or even with the top of the blade?

What's your advice on cleaning? I found out I can't clean the 510 through the breech as the ejector is in the way. The brass cone muzzle guide I use on my .30-06s will not fit in the .22 muzzle. Use a coated rod through the muzzle, no guide? How often do you remove the bolt and detail clean your 550 1?

These two Reminbgtons are habit forming - best day at the range in a long time. Thanks again for everyone's advice and answers.

Tom
Old 10-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Educator
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3 inches really isn't bad at 100 with a 22. You didn't say what ammo you were using but it looks promising. As for aiming...the best I can say is bead even with the top of the rear sight with a six o'clock hold on the target. If I'm shooting at 50 I get the best results with a 3in dot. My eyes just can't concentrate on a 1in for too long.
Cleaning...I would invest in a bore snake. They are quick easy and won't damage your crown on rifles you have to clean from the bore. Sounds like a good habit.
Dwight
Old 10-12-2004, 10:21 AM
dtoggs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore snake is the thing to clean with-becareful,sometimes they fit awfully tight. I have never had one break,but I bet it would be a hard clearing job. 50yrds is good advice,I like 25yrd zero for hunting(squirrel and walnut busting). Adjust sos you can bead the 550-1 fine. I prefer center hold for game-not as definitive for target shooting,but to me,more natural. PW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 08:34 PM
TAB
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Educator,

I was using Winchester Wildcat LR, 40gr, solid point. I tried a few CCI Mini-Mag LR, 40gr, solid point. They seemed about the same, but it was getting dark and a breeze picked up when I was shooting the CCIs so comparisons were questionable.

What's your opinion on frequency to strip a 550-1?

Tom
Old 10-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Educator
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe you will find more consistency with the mini-mags. At least that's my experience.
As for frequency...it would depend largely on the ammo you are using and the lube. You can safely say every 200-300 rounds if the ammo isn't too dirty. You can get away with 500 rounds if the ammo is clean.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:12 AM
canoetooth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I grew up with a 550-1 and bought another one a few years back, since my dad wouldn't part with the first one.

With most ammo they are pretty tolerant to crud build-up. but i've had it start fail to fire and fail to extract/stovepipe after just 50 to 100 pops of cheap dirty stuff. dry lubeing the firing pin channel etc. and sticking with clean ammo, I can go 300 to 500 rounds before the bolt starts sounding gritty on the first manual stroke of each tube. I can do a quick strip and and clean of the action right there on the bench, its a pretty simple design, and this second 550-1 with a BSA 6-24 x50 will shoot as well as i can.

Despite some feedback that this gun is just a plinker, I get consistant 5-shot 3/4" at 25yards and hovering around 1" at 50 yards from casual bench (elbows and front bag.) I remember "never missing" soup can tops (2.5"?) with open sights at 25 paces with the first gun growing up, sitting and prone mostly, since the 550 was a lot of gun for a 10 year old.