Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:00 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
taurus and the internet

I don't deny there are issues with Taurus, 99% is with the company and its employees, not the guns.

After getting booted off a gun forum because I actually dared to say I had a fully functional Taurus revolver and defended my choice in getting in, and started shooting down well known anti Taurus youtube videos. I thought that I would write an article using information from smith, ruger, and Taurus on production stats for revolvers and repair stats.

Its tempting to get the information and write it, as a method of proving and disproving most internet myths. But I don't know if Taurus management really deserves the help, or if they would hear it over the vacuum in their ears.

I believe the greatest disparagement comes from the end user. The gunstores and their interest in buying low and selling high doesn't work well with a low cost handgun like Taurus. And the lack of aftermarket items for Taurus hurts them even more.
Why sell a gun that only gives you a 40-60 dollar profit, that you cant sell hundreds of different after market parts for?

The worst problem with Taurus Mis Management is that they started new designs for what would be their new stream lined small sized semi auto market, and stopped production on everything that wasn't in the new picture of Taurus.

Shortly after word, someone discovered that if you pulled the trigger back half way and put the safety on, the gun would fire once the trigger was released, the slide was closed on a loaded magazine, or if the gun was shaken with a round in the chamber. BOOM. or if it was dropped.

Now Sig had the same issue, when some bored gun owner did their own drop test from a bizarre height and found and angle that let the gun fire when dropped with safety on with a round chambered. Massive recall and repair program.
Was it defective? NO, using the gun in unintended ways can make it dangerous or slightly dangerous, but its still safe.

But with Taurus it let them make a recall program that got all of their old product off the street, No parts to fix the "problem". ITs sort of like apple and processor speed of older I phones, Or Microsoft and older versions of windows.

But the end user is one of the biggest oddball issues with the brand. That is the source of 90% of the "bad guns" Taurus made.

This week I found a few FUN youtube videos on Taurus bad guns.

1. a guy in Australia got a Taurus m85 snub. was shooting the first box of ammunition through and when he opened the cylinder, ejected empty and pointed the barrel down to reload, the cylinder and crane assembly popped out.

saw the crane screw had come out, so he put it back together, boxed it up and sent it back to Taurus with a repair tag. Took 6 months to get it back, and all 6 months he made nasty videos.

any other brand of gun, he would have been laughed off the internet for not following proper gun maintenance standards. smith cylinder rod backing out familiar here folks?

2. On handgunforum, guy bought a Taurus pt111 G2 and liked it in the store, but when he got home he noticed the drift adjustable front sight wasn't PERFECTLY CENTERED in the slide, so he went and paid his gun dealer to drift the front site till it was perfectely centered on the slide.
Was called a hero for showing bad quality control from Taurus. For any other gun hed be called a moron for not understanding guns are supposed to have a generic windage adjustment at the factory.

3. bad guns
On most forums, people like to brag about how when they get a bad tuarus, that doesn't meet "product standards for smith and Wesson revolvers circa 1940" for say cylinder gap, they get nuts and send them in to a company they say is moronic to fix a non existent problem.

SO as a result I have a feeling that when a gun gets returned to Taurus for a non issue, like say "my cylinder gap is wrong" and its actually in the Taurus standard, no company uses the pre 1990 standards for cylinder gap not even smith. The gun will most likely have a tendency to sit around as a sort of punishment for stupid owners.

Quite often the issues are non issues that any user with a smith or ruger or colt would know is part of the standard gun owner system to check on. Like changing the oil in your car, and not driving 30,000 miles on a single oil change.

4. used market.

most smith and ruger forums, they like to make a sort of statement of pride that if they get a non smith, non ruger, non colt gun, that has any sort of issue with it, that they will do a temporary fix on it, and sell it to the first sucker they can.
And then brag about it online and get handshakes all around.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:14 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Shoot what you like, hope you like what you shoot, and if you have an issue with the gun, I hope they take care of you. Taurus has a poor reputation because they have earned it. If they are working to improve it, that's a step in the right direction.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm glad you like Taurus, but "99% of the issues" ARE partly with the guns. True, Internet posters mostly write about problems, not praise, which unfairly inflates the bad rep on some companies, but I've handled enough of them that I wouldn't have given $20 for. I don't think people exaggerate the bad customer service either, there's just too much of it.

With iffy quality and frequent poor CS, you won't see a Taurus in my collection. It's too bad, as they used to make reasonably good guns of consistent quality, not great, but good for the price.

Nearly every gun maker's quality seems to have dropped in recent years. With Taurus's already low, they've dropped to unacceptable for many people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
in the motorcycle racing world there is a saying if you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet.I dont mind spending extra for a quality gun I figure I am worth it.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Taurus snubby 38+P with laser grip is my #1 go to gun for things that go bump in the night.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:48 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Not a Taurus revolver but a PT1911 45ACP. Seriously doubt you could hit the broadside of a barn with this gun (from the inside of the barn). Back to the factory with no help and then to a local gun smith who said he could not fix it. Promptly traded it off.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well for what it worth I own 2 Taurus not revolvers but semi auto model 92's and both have performed flawlessly to date. I have had them for over 10 years and while I do not shoot them every day or for that matter every week neither has failed to go bang when I expected them to.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Got 2 Judges that are 100% reliable and plety accurate. Had a raging judge that shot really well too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 08:32 PM
millwright39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As with most- own a PT 1911 45 acp works great- nice gun -Over the years been lucky I guess with the few I owned
Old 02-03-2018, 01:59 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

The gun world is full of guns with issues. For example, ruger with the mythical over torgued barrels that blew off, smith with the few batches of barrels with canted barrels, the Taurus spring plunger,

Those happened, and were justifiable to get owners fuming. But the problem is, the way the internet wants issues handled varies between companies and even product lines.
A screw on a non Taurus gun loosens on you, its the owners fault. A screw on a Taurus loosens up, its the guns fault.

When the Ruger 44 special GP-100 came out, most had an issue with the installation of the rear sight that lefts large gaps, two business cards, between the frame and the sight. Owners were unhappy and were patient for repairs to happen, and potential buyers waited for news of a mythical "problem fixed serial number range" before buying.

IF the front windage adjustable sight on a Taurus gun comes adjusted for windage from the factory, people will scream bad quality control, it happened.

On some forums if you want to get "likes" all you have to do is say you touched a Taurus and were in fear of your life, and youll get hand pats and likes all day long.

On those same forums, if you say you have a Taurus firearm, youll get warned to behave yourself. If you say you LIKE your Taurus, or that it WORKS every time, you get banned for being "belligerent".

If that Taurus 1911 wont shoot, whats actualy wrong with it? ill take it for shipping..
Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Red face i am NOT a Taurus "fan", BUT

I own only one, a 1993 94 stainless 4" that I found at my LGS about 5 years ago. 97% condition, with original factory small wood grips. I paid 150.00 for it ,but when I cleaned it I discovered that the cylinder would not advance unless the muzzle was pointed at the floor!! oh well, I bought some ones trouble that they traded in !! took it back, LGS sent it to Taurus for repair. in 3 weeks it was back, working perfectly, and I swear it had a action job done on it, DA and SA pulls are fantastic. Taurus states the do no action improvement work, I guess the repair gunsmith fairy got hold of it, SOMETHING happened while it was gone from home. I know a lot of people have had bad luck with Taurus, I am just glad my first and ONLY experience was a POSITIVE ONE !! I think this vintage and this model must have been one of their BEST. Ferox 34 had bad luck with one that appeared to have had a "bubba action job" before he bought it! he finally got it straightened out so he could enjoy it. I feel like I got a real bargain with my 94 at 150.00, all I find on GB NOW are 400.00 ! I just wanted to present my POSITIVE Taurus experience, I enjoy shooting this little gem , it is fun and accurate. a current set of Taurus over size factory rubber grips make it easier to hold onto to, the wood grips are just TOO TINY for my hands. PLEASE, no rocks or grenades !!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well new people coming in don't always mean something good. the last round of management had some dubious decisions that have diluted the brand considerably.

1. getting rid of the popular and most loved semi auto models was not good, the pt-99 and pt-100 are classic guns that are low cost target shooters.

2. changing the finish, not a good thing for any company that has gone to the spray paint Parkerizing crap.

3. parts supply went to nothing with current management once they started redesigning the product line. Wed like to be able to get parts through the mail.

4. a more precise and clear policy with repairs. Meaning repairs should be prioritiezed by whats actually wrong with the gun.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:57 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds good if they'll do it. I have seen a few older Taurus revolvers that I almost bought, but shied away because of the parts and CS issues. Even the best guns need an occasional part or repair, and it's kinda dumb to buy something with a poor chance of ever getting it serviced.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm no longer a fan.

My own experience with 1st generation Millenium Pros that shot too low (compared to competitors).

I had to debur and clean up the cylinder ratchet and locking notches on my 85UL.

I still won't forgive Taurus customer service and the company as a whole for trying to cover up the false trigger reset/drop the hammer from pre-cock of a self defense gun known as the TCP.

At least with my 85UL and Taurus TCP, I was able to fix both of them. The TCP, I fixed with parts from a Ruger LCP. The way the TCP should have been made in the first place.

Last edited by chicharrones; 02-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
me I believe I am not happy with Taurus myself anymore. the productlie is basic crap. other then the 1911 and the pt92, and a few revolvers, its basically pointless.

The finish killed the remaining quality they had.

I do admit that its not ironic they started using the heritage finish once they owned heritage.