Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Juliank99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Experience with Savage Mark II BRJ 22lr

Hello,

I am looking for a good, accurate and reliable 22lr. I happened to come across a used Savage Mark II BRJ in immaculate condition and am considering adding it to my collection. I am looking for a hunting/blinking rifle where I can put a lot of rounds through without any hassle. My major concern is how the rifle will hold up, my only previous Savage rifle was the .17 WSM when it first hit the stores, which although being an amazing and capable bullet, the gun was made so poor I never ever want to use it again. The entire stock came loose and the lever would always slide out when loading and Savage was pretty useless in helping (I live in SA). Anyhow, how does this rifle compare to others in the same price range? My options here are fairly limited, the only options that are available here are the:

Ruger 10/22, wood stock and takedown model.
Marlin 60SB
CZ 452, which is a bit more expensive
Savage FXP64 (seemed to be made cheap)
Savage A22
Savage Mark II G
Browning 22” 22lr

There might be some Savage models I missed, these were presented to me by the local gun shop. Semi-automatic or bolt action is no deal breaker as long as the gun works the way it should.

If someone has owned or owns the BRJ and would be kind enough to give me a review that would help me a lot. Also, how would the BRJ compare to the other rifles I listed? CZ is very tempting, but rather a little expensive.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:55 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The Savage has no ramp from the mag to the chamber. The round is expected to guide itself in right off the magazine and into the chamber with guide to make it happen reliably. A really common problem with these guns is the rounds not feeding properly, and the magazines are not well made and all the rounds will come out when trying to feed one. I've owned two and although they shot well enough, the cheapness of the design ruined the gun for me. If you can spend the extra money, get the CZ. It's really a LOT more gun for the money and the quality is excellent. In fact, every feature about the gun is better right from the design to the quality of the materials used.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKII

I have a ten round MKII and it shot ok 3,4 in same hole then off in to the blue 4,5 same hole then again same thing. them went over it an d the action screws were loose. tighten it up 4 same hole one just beside it. I am happy was going to buy a CZ varmint don't need it now. This thing is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Savage makes decent, accurate rifles and I'm sure you would not be disappointed with one, but given the choices you present, I have to choose the CZ. It is Anshutz-like in quality build, and Anschutz-like in accuracy for 1/4 the price. The only thing it isn't Anschutz-like is the trigger, but that can be improved quite a bit. I have a CZ452 varmint and have or have had, 5 different Anschutz rifles. My CZ can shoot with any of the others. I know some of you will dispute my opinion, but I stand by it.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ was my Top Choice. Had a Henry given to me it was all right not accurate I had a 597 Remington it was very accurate out of the box had a wifiam 73. Had a few 10/22 custom and Factory. Got the Savage MK2 did a little tweaking just can't beat it with $2 ammo. I carry the Savage around in the woods and I've had shots at 50 yards Dead on the CZ I want is a bull barrel and that's just too much to carry in the woods. Yes I probably would be happier or happy with a CZ but I'm pretty happy with my Savage good shoot all of you better than me thanks take care

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 AM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Savage comparison

I recently traded a modified Ruger 10/22 for a used factory standard Savage BTVSS. That would be similar to the BRJ with a different stock and round vs. spiral barrel. I did add a Rifle Basix trigger. The savageshoots better factory stock than the modified 10/22 and a CZ 455 Varmint that I recently sold off. I am impressed with the quality and the accuracy of the Savage. Given a choice, I would buy a CZ (of 452 vintage) only, but the Savage is a good shooter. Nice looking as well.