Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 PM
happy

TPC Rating: 
96% (40)
a good free virus protection

hi , I require a good free virus protection for my computer , I have mal ware , but no virus protection , I just tried Avast only if slowed down my computer , any ideas ???
Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM
ditto1958
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Avira seems to be pretty good.

I also used AVG in the past. I like Avira better, though.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Virus protection is one thing and malware removal is another since depending on the malware, if it's already on the computer it can fend off the antivirus. If you have been running with no virus protection you can hardly complain when you add it and the PC slows down. If you can get on-line, most of the reputable companies can do virus removal over the internet. "Reputable" does not include anything that pops up on your screen and wants you to click here and get out your credit card.

I've been blissfully virus-free for 5-6 years after switching from Windows to Linux but Avira and AVG should be good. You might consider paying a little. My wife uses Bitdefender and we also like Eset. But whatever you do - do something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
But whatever you do - do something.
I agree... I've seen a few friends computers get really hosed up running with nothing.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've used AVG and Avira in the past; I didn't care for them. I use Avast for antivirus and Malwarebytes for anti-malware. Do NOT use Norton, McAffee or any of the others like that. They are charging you money for a subpar product.

Any anti-virus will slow down your PC, especially when it's running a scan. I would suggest reinstalling Avast, let it complete its post-installation initial scan, and then see how slow things really are. Another important thing to know would be what hardware you're using. If you right-click on "my computer" and select "properties" and list your operating system, processor speed and amount of RAM, it'll give insight into what might be best for you.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Cast
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Once, my enterprise virus protection server failed and I didn't catch it for several hours. I lost two servers in that several hours.

I use McAfee Enterprise version, best one I know of.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 AM
peterdavidson56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, most of the popular antivirus protection software might slow down your PC. This is the reason, I have cloud based antivirus protection like Immunet http://www.immunet.com. It offers the best protection without slowing down my PC.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdavidson56 View Post
Yes, most of the popular antivirus protection software might slow down your PC. This is the reason, I have cloud based antivirus protection like Immunet http://www.immunet.com. It offers the best protection without slowing down my PC.

Welcome to RFC!!!
Most people join to talk about guns and not viruses but we're glad to have you. Of course this thread isn't about guns.

I'd never heard of cloud-based anti-virus but I'm always learning new things here. Sounds like protecting your house with a dog chained by the front door Wikipedia says Immunet is based on Clam-AV, which has been around a long time in the Unix/Linux world running on web servers to scan email.

I went to http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html and read this in bold red letters near the top of the page: "The Immunet® Community has more than 0 members protected from 0 threats."

Immunet seems to want their free version to be used along with another AV product which is unusual. Most security products want to be the only one because of the very real possiblility of conflict. In any case, I suspect "cloud-based" means it downloads updates constantly in small amounts instead of as large files. Just guessing, though.

Immunet might be a good solution in some cases but my advice for anyone who doesn't fully understand the risks and how to remove malware is to get one of the more established and reputable products, free or not.

I don't want to rain on your parade and you have more experience with that product than I do (I have none) but the OP did not sound to me like a good candidate for something like this.

But to repeat:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Avast does not seem to slow my computer at all with the possible exception of scan time. I have use Avira and AVG and liked both of them as well.

One problem with any of these slowing your computer is because your computer already has MacAfee or Norton as they come on many brand new computers or come attached to some other software in the same way Google Chrome has snuck onto my computer three times when I was down loading some thing else. I hate that dishonesty and sneakiness!!

I have had to delete Norton, MacAfee and Google Chrome a number of times. Not only that but a couple of them do not show up when you use "All Programs" on your start menu or even when you go to Control Panel and use ADD/REMOVE software.

You have to go to My Computer and click on your main drive (usually "C" drive) and then click on the + so you can see everything on the drive and there hiding you will find Norton or MacAfee. It is the conflict with these that slows down so many computers when you add a Anti Virus program. Just hi lite them and delete them and suddenly your computer runs much better.

These days it seems almost impossible to down load anything with out getting something you do not want even if you are careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 08-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
... Just hi lite them and delete them ....
That will often work well enough, but programs which were complicated to install are complicated to remove. Go to Control Panel and look for something like Programs - Unnstall a Program. Proceed from there. Most serious software has "hooks" in a lot of places and if you miss them, sometimes you've accomplished nothing and sometimes worse.

Some have unisntall routines in the start menu (if they are in the start menu) and some have downloadable uninstall routines. But Control Panel works for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
...These days it seems almost impossible to down load anything with out getting something you do not want even if you are careful.
Or sign up for something, or buy a packaged food, or..........

Last edited by CardPuncher; 08-27-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
That will often work well enough, but programs which were complicated to install are complicated to remove. Go to Control Panel and look for something like Programs - Unnstall a Program. Proceed from there. Most serious software has "hooks" in a lot of places and if you miss them, sometimes you've accomplished nothing and sometimes worse.

Some have unisntall routines in the start menu (if they are in the start menu) and some have downloadable uninstall routines. But Control Panel works for most.

Or sign up for something, or buy a packaged food, or..........
You are right about Control Panel but as I posted sometimes the programs are made to not show up on the list of Remove Programs. You CAN"T use Remove Programs because they do not show up there. You have to dig deeper and find them your self. Even them some of them fight being deleted. You have to go through 3 or 4 pages of "Are you sure you want to do this?" Followed by "Wouldn't you rather download our latest version?" Some of them you have to go to THEIR site to remove them!!

Lately they make you answer a bunch of questions about WHY you want to uninstall them. Then a month later you get an email asking if you would like to download the program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The best free one I've had that didn't slow everything to a crawl is Microsoft Security Essentials. It protects against viruses, spyware, malware, and other malicious software, so you don't need a second free program for malware.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
cstone
US Army

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
MSE is the only thing besides patches that I actually allow from MS on my Windows computers.

Clam-AV is good but like all AV software, only as good as the virus definitions and how good the maintainers are about keeping them updated.

While there are viruses for Linux based computers, I have found that keeping Linux boxes virus free is much simpler and easier than MS boxes. If you like free software, begin your transition to Linux.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdavidson56 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and point out that this user has only one post, it being the above quoted one, and they registered and posted this reply in the same minute. I smell a bot. I would not trust any links "they" post.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:26 PM
cmr13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
The best free one I've had that didn't slow everything to a crawl is Microsoft Security Essentials. It protects against viruses, spyware, malware, and other malicious software, so you don't need a second free program for malware.

Microsoft Security Essentials is the only free one I recommend.

Put on MSE, MalwareBytes and SpywareBlaster and you are good to go.