How many PCP owners here? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 AM
Rob_in_NC
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
Few things get my hackles up quicker then bashing "cheap" airguns and Gamo does have a real big target on their back. Yes they do tend to publish stupid FPS numbers and that is what sells to the equally stupid. Those same people will then bash the hell out of the airgun after putting 20 of the cheapest "winchester" pellets through them....hay they are 25 cents cheaper then the Crosman pellets....hold the gun like their "deer" rifle and can't hit the planet earth if they pointed the gun straight down. Then if they have not been turned off of airguns all the way around will go out and buy an FX, Daystate, or pick your way over priced poster child PCP and say SEE.....the GAMO shot like this but my new Royal shoots like that, gamo is crap.....ahh, wait just a sec.

The airgun community has a HUGE number of cork sniffers, I thought the guitar world was bad, but it has nothing next to airgunners, they really need to justify their $2200 airgun.
I see it all the time where that someone will want to get into airguns and dont want to spend a lot of money and inquire about a Gamo or similar and folks try to steer them to a $1500 gun. There is a lot of snobbery for sure in airgun circles. Just like anything else, keep your expectations reasonable and if a cheap gun exceeds them, great!
I, like many others, started out on Gamos and Chinese B-3's. I still enjoy the cheaper guns and love to tinker on them.
You make a great point about pellet selection, hold and all the other factors that go into getting the most out of a gun.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Just got an email this morning from our local dive shop inviting me to accompany them on a fabulous SCUBA trip to the Maldives. All I buy from them is compressed air

PCP is good, springers are good, CO2 is good. I'm pretty much a fan of anything that will launch a projectile downrange with some modicum of accuracy.

Frank
Now get your PADI and have fun under the water as well.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_in_NC View Post
I see it all the time where that someone will want to get into airguns and dont want to spend a lot of money and inquire about a Gamo or similar and folks try to steer them to a $1500 gun. There is a lot of snobbery for sure in airgun circles. Just like anything else, keep your expectations reasonable and if a cheap gun exceeds them, great!
I, like many others, started out on Gamos and Chinese B-3's. I still enjoy the cheaper guns and love to tinker on them.
You make a great point about pellet selection, hold and all the other factors that go into getting the most out of a gun.
The other thing that goes into it is really what are you going to be doing with the gun....REALLY DO WITH IT....don't lie to yourself and say you are going deer hunting, and you need that 50, or 357....when you are really punching paper inside of 50 yards, or shooting mice and starlings in a barn.

I would say that 99% if the sub $300 PCP guns will shoot on par with the most expensive inside of 50 yards, and 99.9% will shoot on par 25 yards and closer.
So are you punching paper in your back yard/basement/garage. If so and the ONLY thing you care about is group size you can look at all the rifled airguns out there.

I have experience in shooting inside a barn for mice and starlings, I can tell you a kill shot on a starling does not take much....and too much can result in broken things, 5 pumps on an old Crosman 2200 is all that is needed, mice get 8 pumps....anymore and you risk a through shot and damage to equipment. Again you don't need all that power, and accurate inside a 40'x80' is good enough for the task.

Some really great guns out there that would be perfect for a users needs, and they get pushed to something that is way overkill, and turning down the power to nothing or are on the boards in a few weeks saying they are punching holes in the sides of their building.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
Few things get my hackles up quicker then bashing "cheap" airguns and Gamo does have a real big target on their back. Yes they do tend to publish stupid FPS numbers and that is what sells to the equally stupid. Those same people will then bash the hell out of the airgun after putting 20 of the cheapest "winchester" pellets through them....hay they are 25 cents cheaper then the Crosman pellets....hold the gun like their "deer" rifle and can't hit the planet earth if they pointed the gun straight down. Then if they have not been turned off of airguns all the way around will go out and buy an FX, Daystate, or pick your way over priced poster child PCP and say SEE.....the GAMO shot like this but my new Royal shoots like that, gamo is crap.....ahh, wait just a sec.

The airgun community has a HUGE number of cork sniffers, I thought the guitar world was bad, but it has nothing next to airgunners, they really need to justify their $2200 airgun.
I guess I’m a cork sniffer - if someone hands me a cheap airgun I won’t invest more than a half hour into it. If it’s not a shooter it may end up in the trash or propping a door. Mechanically I don’t see a springer airgun becoming consistently predictable until $300 or more. I’ve played with both sides of the price point, never with cheap pellets, and never had success south of that price point. I also have not bought a half dozen cheap ones just to prove good shooters exist, and I don’t doubt they are out there. But what a waste of time and money unless you happen to enjoy having a large number of inexpensive airguns. I’ve also witnessed firsthand when someone spends $250 for the nicest airgun in the store and gets terrible results. It raises my hackles to see a legitimately interested person get into the junk stuff and walk away with the belief that is all Airguns can do.

Now over $1000, I tend to see very diminishing returns in PCP and over $500 for springers. It’s unfortunate that the big box brands are just so far away from quality construction. It didn’t used to be like that - at least cabelas sold RWS Airguns for a few decades before they got into the Gamo soup.

Pumpers are a different class. Great accuracy can be had for cheap if you don’t expect a match trigger and keep you range in closer. People generally set the expectation for power and range beyond this and they miss out on a lot. I agree that for pigeon starlings rats and squirrels they get big ideas for power and velocity and get a springer when they really should have a Benjamin or a Crosman pumper.

So mostly I refrain from commenting unless the OP has a particular accuracy metric that implies a level of investment.

David

Last edited by dgeesaman; 06-19-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Steve E
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did do some fairly good bit of research before plunging to the dark side and got a PCP gun. I tried a good bit of pellets before finding what it liked it seems to like most anything from H&N especially Barracuda Hunter Extreme 18.5 grain pellets and the 'artillery hold'. Probably my best purchase is the GX-E-CS3 compressor, thought I was going to have a heart attack a couple of times using that hand pump, LOL.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:15 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
I did do some fairly good bit of research before plunging to the dark side and got a PCP gun. I tried a good bit of pellets before finding what it liked it seems to like most anything from H&N especially Barracuda Hunter Extreme 18.5 grain pellets and the 'artillery hold'. Probably my best purchase is the GX-E-CS3 compressor, thought I was going to have a heart attack a couple of times using that hand pump, LOL.
Yup, pumping is for the young...it is not like doing a bicycle tire.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Dairyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rob_in_NC great to see you here! You've definitely got one of the nicest collection of Airguns out there that I've seen.

And I tend to agree about cheaper guns. Especially Gamo. I've had there lowly hornet in .177 for 8 years and have put down many birds with it with a cheap hammers scope. My mom's had one of the whisper ones for over 10 years and put down countless birds with it. Never had any issues with them.

The urban is also one of the best guns for the money out there. I'm actually going back to the budget guns as my $1000+ ones just sit as I'm too afraid to use them and now having a quality .22lr I now don't need long range accuracy from my PCPs. I'm goin with an Air Venturi Avenger .22 first. Already sold my .22 Taipan Veteran Long and just need to sell the .177 Standard.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:52 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Great to see you here, my friend- if there’s anything I can help with in the rimfire world, let me know!

DrGunner
Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Rob_in_NC
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@Dairyboy Thank you, sir. Was nice to see a familiar face here. Have lurked here only when I needed information so figured I'd register and contribute where I can!

@DrGunner Figured I'd see you pop up here before long! Hope you and yours are doing well, sir! Caught the rimfire bug again and decided to revisit my MK2 and adding a Buckmark to the stable.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 PM
regarval

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howdy! Been shooting airguns since I was 7-8 years old, good to see ppl from AG. I have a few rimfires but I like to shoot my airguns better! 😉

Renz
Old 06-30-2020, 11:50 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
@Dairyboy Thank you, sir. Was nice to see a familiar face here. Have lurked here only when I needed information so figured I'd register and contribute where I can!

@DrGunner Figured I'd see you pop up here before long! Hope you and yours are doing well, sir! Caught the rimfire bug again and decided to revisit my MK2 and adding a Buckmark to the stable.
You won’t regret the Buckmark. I love my 7.25 URX Contour.

DrGunner
Old 09-15-2020, 10:08 AM
Chase2501

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own a brand new Gamo Coyote. Tried to shoot it for the first time yesterday and sent it straight back to the factory for repair. Leaking air and a broken pressure guage right out of the box.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 AM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase2501 View Post
I own a brand new Gamo Coyote. Tried to shoot it for the first time yesterday and sent it straight back to the factory for repair. Leaking air and a broken pressure guage right out of the box.
That's really unfortunate. Hope Gamo takes care of your issues. Let us know how it performs once you get shooting.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Chase2501

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmen52 View Post
[That's really unfortunate. Hope Gamo takes care of your issues. Let us know how it performs once you get shooting.
Yes it is unfortunate, but on the positive side Gamo is paying for all of the shipping costs and repair work. In the meantime I’ve ordered an Airforce International Orion and it should arrive on Saturday. I’ll probably return the Gamo or maybe sell it.