Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

When I was at the range for the match, I was told that the sides of the new magazine needed to be bent. I haven't done any of that yet, but while searching for more information, I did find this page:
http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-3-20steps.pdf

I'm not sure if any of this applies to my gun, but if so, there's a lot to do in getting a magazine to work correctly.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is one other thing I'm puzzled about. When I called High Standard to try to buy a magazine, I also asked if I could buy a pair of standard wood grips for my gun. They sent me something with the right part number for slanted grips, but the grips weren't the right ones. They've since put me in touch with "Herretts Stocks":
http://www.herrettstocks.com/
....and I now have a new set of grips being made.

My question is, that when I took the existing grips off, to take photos to send to High Standard, and then to Herrett's, the "slide lock" mechanism literally fell out of the gun. I'm lucky that I didn't lose the microscopic spring that goes in it. Anyway, is this "right" - the grip is what's supposed to hold those parts in place? I didn't see anything obviously missing or broken, so I put things back together, very carefully. I will post a photo in a minute, that I took of the left side of the gun, where the plastic grips I have now have had a metal part epoxied to the grip, apparently to keep a shaft within the gun from coming out. Apparently that's normally done by the standard wood grips.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If these images are too large, I'll reduce the size, as I would if I were posting in the forum....

left side of gun:
http://www.sgrid.com/2015/IMG_0020.JPG

Left AccuRiser grip with metal plate:
http://www.sgrid.com/2015/IMG_0021.JPG
http://www.sgrid.com/2015/IMG_0027.JPG

A close-up view of what that metal plate is doing:
http://www.sgrid.com/2015/IMG_0032.JPG

Hopefully the wood grips Herrett is making will keep things in place. If there is anything I need to tell them to do differently, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
........NORMALLY the vintage OEM magazines with the foot will work just fine in your older slant grip frame--I do it all the time with custom grips on my slant grip frames as they stick out further to be able to grasp them below a custom grip.......

Steve_S, so many other things were changed around, I'm not sure if my gun even has the original magazine release. After reading what you posted, I took a photo looking in from the bottom of the gun.

The rest of the gun for the most part looks so high-tech and nicely done, but this part looks like someone made their own, maybe to work with the custom grips? I have no idea.

You can clearly see where the "clamp" is holding onto the magazine. With the red plastic parts at the bottom, the "clamp" doesn't move, as it's blocked by the plastic.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazines

I should have told you to call after 9AM tomorrow. Also, that is weird that a fax came on as we have a completely different fax system and number ?? Nobody is at the office after 4 PM. my e-mail is [email protected] . You might want to get a couple of spare micro springs Part#1255- they are only $2.60 each- Alan
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pistol Grips

We bought Herrett Stock Co. in 2013 as part of the expansion of the company. They make excellent HS grips. Last I knew(Nov 2014), ALL of the HS grips were sold thru HS and not Herrett. They should have the grips in HT. The Co. has RH, LH, and Ambidextrious grips for your pistol. The RH is Stk# 10320/25 if you can get thru to them to order- Alan
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alan, High Standard didn't have the grips, so they asked Herrett to help me. Herrett didn't have the grips either, but they do have the template, and are making a set for me. Since they're "custom", Herrett will make them just the way I want, which will be similar to the wood grips on my Model 41 S&W, but without the checkering. I've mostly been talking to Robin, and then with Dee in the Custom Shop.

Hmm, who is "we"? Is your company "Firearmsintl"? I went to firearmsintl.com and got to interarmstx.com. All of this is new to me. If that's you, you seem to have lots of HS parts available.

One other thing I'd love to find, is an original instruction manual. I printed out the PDF version, but I'd love to do a high resolution scan of an original. I also downloaded a copy of the dis-assembly video (I think that was posted by Steve?), but haven't yet tried to take my gun apart for cleaning. I'd like to understand it better before taking it apart - one surprise of parts dropping off unexpectedly is more than enough of a warning to be careful.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
........these guns can be difficult to rack once the trigger is pulled and the hammer is down. Some can be hard enough that people don't buy the "bridge sight" (106, 107 and SH/108) models as they have trouble racking them without skinning a knucle on the rear sight..........

Steve_S, your suggestion that I've quoted from up above did solve my problem back then, but I've been wondering - sometimes the slide pulls back quite easily, and other times it feels like it's locked in place. Why would the slide be more difficult to pull back once the trigger has been pulled?

You are totally right - once I pull the trigger, as I used to do before putting the gun away for a few weeks, it is SO MUCH harder to pull it back. If there's a live round in it from a misfire, it's even more annoying - the gun has never fired unintentionally for me, but I don't like struggling with it under those conditions. From what you've written, I guess I just need to get used to it - and eat more spinach....
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 AM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
I should have told you to call after 9AM tomorrow. Also, that is weird that a fax came on as we have a completely different fax system and number ?? Nobody is at the office after 4 PM. my e-mail is [email protected] . You might want to get a couple of spare micro springs Part#1255- they are only $2.60 each- Alan
Alan, he seems to be having the same problem I had a few weeks ago, that I mentioned when we were able to connect and chat. Perhaps your fax line (or machine) has gremlins in it?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, John. Everything you wrote makes sense, and cleared up a lot of confusion. I know a little more of how much of my gun is High Standard, and how much is "someone's modification". I should have figured out why the slide tension increased so much - now that sounds very logical.

I have only one follow-up question. Herrett is making me a new pair of wood grips (to replace the ones I now have that are for single handed Bullseye shooting). Am I going to have problems because of what the previous owner did, that ended up with him having a metal plate epoxied to the left grip? If so, should I cancel the order for the grips? Or, should I ask Herrett to mill out a small area, and add a metal plate, assuming they can do that? ........and if I go ahead and get the standard grips, is it safe to just take them off after each time I shoot, and make sure nothing is changing?

Steve_S, I emailed Alan. After 8 rings, the "fax" (or whatever it is) answers the phone and starts the fax-like sound. It did that four times, as I called back late last night just to count the rings before it would answer the phone.

Gee, after all this, I'm still very pleased I bought the gun, but now that I know more about High Standard, I wish I had bought a "stock" gun, just as it came from the factory. I don't know if all these "modifications" made my gun better, worse, or just different.....

Last edited by MikeMyers; 03-31-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interarms phone issues

713-476-0888 should have voice mail- it definitely has a fax tone ???? We will call AT &T for their third try at this.- It worked OK over the weekend and we got several voice mails. I just don't understand why it changed. the e-mail works
[email protected] - Thanks- Alan
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John, I just spoke to Dee at Herrett, and the plan is to go ahead with the wood grips. I will remove the left grip after each time I shoot, and monitor if anything is changing regarding the hammer pin. If I see any signs that it is coming out, I'll put the plastic grips back on, and see if Herrett can add a metal plate to the grip. That, or a thin layer of super-glue on the wood, which would provide a harder surface.

Regarding the slide lock spring, it never fell out of the slide lock. From the above explanations, I know why, but at the time I was surprised it seemed so locked in place. Not knowing any of that, I was ultra-careful when putting the parts back in place. Thanks for the warning.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alan - THANK YOU for all the help you have given me. The new grips you sent me are on the gun, making it easier for me to grip properly, and therefore my group size came down by a lot. I will try out the barrel you sent me, but probably not until mid-June when I'm back from my trip. Because of your advice, and one of the videos linked to below, I now can disassemble the gun for cleaning quite easily - once I got the front button to work, and with the help of someone else so I had more hands, it came apart very nicely! It was FILTHY inside, but now it's all shiny and new looking, and functions MUCH more smoothly. I no longer have to "pull" the magazines out - press the mag release and they seem to spring out all by themselves. I've also switched from the high velocity ammo to only 22 CCI standard velocity ammo.

Very helpful:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=444354

My printout from the PDF file of the High Standard manual is really difficult to read - small text printed in a light gray color, and not really very sharp. I see no reason why I can't re-type it - if so, I'll post a link to it, but hopefully someone who knows the gun very well can both proof-read it, in case I make a typo, and also see if anything needs updating.

Alan, if I get that far, maybe you would be able to add the part numbers for those parts you are now providing, so others can order them more easily.

.......oh, and the icing on the cake, at least for me, is that my goal has always been 15 shots from 15 yards, in a 2" group. I never really believed that would happen, but with this gun, it's happening quite a bit! I know it's mostly "me", not the gun, but the gun is SO good it makes it easier for me to do things correctly!

Last edited by MikeMyers; 04-10-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick question - does anyone in this forum have the power to correct the title of this thread? I don't know why my fingers typed "High Design" long ago - they sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. I would like to get it corrected though, and don't know how to do it. I think a Sysop needs to do that....
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thank you - have visited often because of that but only to see if it got corrected , there is a lot of interesting discussion being wasted i think ,