Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:04 PM
mustanggt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feeding problems with a sharpshooter

I've been lurking now for a month or so while my Sharpshooter was on its way. Today I took it to the range for the first time. It is in very nice shape with walnut thumb rest target grips and 5 1/2" bull barrel. I think my problem might lay with the barrel and where that stud mounts into the grip frame. As I've read here that push button take down operation is a bit tricky. I tried different match ammo and none would feed. The only one that would was subsonic winchester stuff. I'm not sure if that was it or if my taking the barrel off and putting it back on so many times made it possible to feed that particular ammo. So I'm not sure how to proceed here and was hoping for some help. Thank you
Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
My SharpShooter feeds most everything fine. Keep it clean and lubed. I may look at the magazines first after a good cleaning. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
feeding issue

MustangGT,
Feeding problems are usually due to magazine adjustment or aftermarket magazines that are not as good as original magazines (i.e., older Triple K magazines made before 2005). Is your magazine original? The easiest way to tell is to see if the 5- and 10- round count markings are on the right side of the magazine. There are many old posts concerning magazine adjustment. Just do a search for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 PM
mustanggt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was thinking magazine might be an issue too. Thanks for the reply. I field stripped it when I first got it, cleaned and oiled it.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:32 PM
mustanggt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It was my understanding that the magazine was original but there are no markings period on it. I'll try the adjustment search. Just looking at it the follower is canted to the right. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but it might. What magazines are recommended besides original?
Old 04-10-2015, 05:34 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magazine ID

You can read the article I wrote several years ago concerning how to identify HS magazines here: http://www.histandard.info/datapubli...WDmagazine.pdf
The article is for military grip angle magazines, but the slant grip style magazines are similar enough that the article will help with identification of those also. Which grip angle does your Sharpshooter have?

The best magazines to obtain are original CT High Standard production. Those can be found on eBay or GunBroker from time to time. They will likely cost some more than aftermarket or Houston HS magazines. Those are available from Brownells.com. The newest version of Triple K magazines have rounded shell ends similar to the original CT magazines at the top front area of the magazine.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 PM
mustanggt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for all the replies. It has the slant grip frame.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Failures to feed ammo in a Hi Std is normally the magazine lips. The exact shape is critical. There are dimension you can set them to but that often is not enough and they have to adjusted for the ammo you use in your gun (read that some more tweaking of the lips may be necessary with live ammo). After market Triple K magazines often cause feeding problems. Only originals and late High Standard of Houston Texas magazines can be reliable after the lips are correctly adjusted for the ammo of your choice (only use Std Vel ammo in these guns!!!! and change the recoil spring every 10K to 15K rounds fired or when the recoil spring force drops by 10% from new to avoid the dreaded frame crack). Any purchase of a Hi Std pistol should have the recoil spring replaced before shooting it just to be safe.

See the late Jim Barta's page (http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/) under magazine adjustments for details on magazine lip adjustments.

There is no problem with removing the barrel (I remove mine after every range session as I clean the gun). The barrel must fit tightly to the frame without wobble or movement. Barrels are not necessarily interchangeable. If your barrel does not fit tightly then that is a problem. At the factory each barrel was fitted to each frame using one of several push button part options made for this fitting process. I mention this because if the barrel is not an original it may not fit tightly to the frame. If the barrel is tight on the frame then it is not the barrel that is causing poor ammo feeding.

LDBennett
Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestion - call Alan at Interarms Products. Phone number is 713 476-0888

They have a magazine that seems to be very close to the original. It works in Alan's old High Standard guns, but seemed to have an issue in my own (highly modified) gun.

I took a reasonably high-resolution photo of his new magazine, part #3038M, and my original magazine. It's a large file, so may download slowly, but you can see lots more detail this way.

http://www.sgrid.com/2015/HS-magazines.jpg

I just finished a much-needed cleaning to my gun today, and that may be all it takes to get things to work. I cycled six "dummy rounds" through the gun a couple of hours ago, and everything worked flawlessly. I'm hopeful, but won't get a chance to test if for a few more days.

I'm a novice to High Standard - have a lot to learn. If your gun uses magazines like the ones in the photo, maybe this will solve your problems as well. If your magazines look different, you can call Alan anyway, but I don't know what models they stock. The web page is http://interarmstx.com/ so maybe you can find out on your own.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 AM
mustanggt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks fellas. I sure do appreciate it. Got a lot of stuff to go on.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got to try out the new magazine this morning. It worked just as smoothly with my CCI .22 ammo as with my "dummy rounds". It fits so nicely that when I use the magazine release, the new magazine "springs out", almost as if there was a spring behind it. Very nice.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Feeding problems with a sharpshooter

mustanggt,

Check to see if the magazine spring has been installed correctly. Knew of a shooter in our Bullseye League who had feeding issues. Only 1 of his 6 magazines would not work in his

used High Standard Victor. Taking it apart, we discovered that the magazine spring was in backwards. Simply reversing it instantly corrected things.

Last edited by mr alexander; 12-12-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:59 PM
dag8201

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Dont mean to hi jack your thread, but how do you take these mags apart? I have the model GB and the M101, and I have'nt figured out how the mags come apart. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag8201 View Post
Dont mean to hi jack your thread, but how do you take these mags apart? I have the model GB and the M101, and I have'nt figured out how the mags come apart. Any help is greatly appreciated.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...41&postcount=2 Just did a search.............
Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
(Should read "Then remove the follower button by pulling it out from the magazine." Once I figured out the sentence, it made sense, but it took a moment....)