Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM
bcraig

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
which savage ?

Hi,I am looking for a rifle and recently picked up and held a savage with the accutrigger and fell in love with it . I will be using this rifle for squirrel hunting at ranges from about 15 ateps to about 75 long steps.What I need is some opinions from some experienced with this . i have heard that the Savage mark II bv or bvss will shoot into about an inch at 100 yards but i am curious as to whether the synthetic versions with the same heavy barrel (which I want ) will shoot as good as the laminated stock more expensive versions ? I am leaning toward the 22 long rifle for less costly ammo and I have heard that the 17HMR will tear up a squirrel pretty badly But i understand the 17 HMR is an extremely accurate catridge. I could live with the destructivness as I would try to headshoot the animals and even if i didn,t ther isn,t much meat on the front legs anyway mainly back and hind legs.So will someone with experience along these lines tell me if 1.synthetic heavy barrel versions are as accurate as more expensive laminated heavy barrel rifles.? 2. in identical rifles will the 17HMR be more accurate than the 22 long rifle. ? . I am satisfied with the 22 long rifle performance wise using 22 CCI mini mags on squirrels but I want the most accurate savage I can get. group sizes and performance comparisons are what i am looking for here not just a shoots great type of answer . Thanks a bunch,Craig
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Ruger77/22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Mark II F or Mark II FV in 22 LR will be an accurate gun
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
chewball22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17hmr with accutrigger = laser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Ruger77/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewball22 View Post
.17hmr with accutrigger = laser
I second that
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
dwheeless

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I third that.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
bcraig

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
re which savage

Hi, Thanks for all the answers I have gotten so far . I dont think even a single question I asked was answered !! thanks anyway,Craig
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 AM
bigd9247

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, the 17HMR is an amazingly accurate round (shot my buddies at 100yds into about an inch) but I bought a .22LR because the ammo is way cheaper. Since my rifle is for plinking and squirrel hunting, I didn't want to be spending all sorts of money on the ammo. So it comes down to personal preference.

Next, as far as the laminate vs. synthetic stock question, i can't help with that since I haven't shot either one. I would believe that the laminate stock would be stiffer than the synthetic and thus more accurate but don't quote me on that. I held the laminate Savage in the store and liked the balance of it better than the synthetic version. If you like the synthetic heavy barrel, then buy it... if you're not doing target competitions, i doubt there could be a real noticable difference in accuracy.

In the end, I went with a Savage MKII G... which is the .22LR with hardwood stock and sporter barrel. It shoots really well and I only shoot bulk ammo (no fancy target ammo). Much more accurate out of the box than my Ruger 10/22 ever was. I like the balance and feel of the MKII G... it just felt right in my hands so that's the one I bought.