Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 PM
Kimber 82
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
HS Supermatic “ USMC Property “

I recently acquired a real nice addition to my collection and am looking for any info you guys might have. It is a HS S-101 Supermatic 6 3/4” barrel and on the left side is stamped “ USMC Property “. It came in a box that the gun is numbered to and inside that box is a smaller box with a 22 short conversion kit ( slide & 6 3/4 barrel ) 2 weights and a aluminum magazine. I can find much info on this piece nor figure out what kind of value it holds. I would rate it as 95% or better and the conversion kit looks unfired. Supermatic box is very worn but kit box is not bad.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2021, 11:43 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber 82 View Post
I recently acquired a real nice addition to my collection and am looking for any info you guys might have. It is a HS S-101 Supermatic 6 3/4” barrel and on the left side is stamped “ USMC Property “. It came in a box that the gun is numbered to and inside that box is a smaller box with a 22 short conversion kit ( slide & 6 3/4 barrel ) 2 weights and a aluminum magazine. I can find much info on this piece nor figure out what kind of value it holds. I would rate it as 95% or better and the conversion kit looks unfired. Supermatic box is very worn but kit box is not bad.

Thanks in advance
Can't provide any info...but I can speak for a lot of others...PIC'S PLEASE...they will help greatly with the info you request...and provide gawkers like me some prime entertainment.
Best of luck......
Old 06-09-2021, 07:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber 82 View Post

Thanks in advance
Your description raises a few questions and a comments.

Do the serial numbers on the frame and the long rifle slide match?

Is the slide of the conversion kit numbered to the frame?

Did your pistol come with the weights for the pistol?

When you say left side, is that using the convention that left is as viewed when holding the pistol in the shooting position?

Is the " USMC PROPERTY" in one line or two?

A full serial number will allow checking where the pistol was shipped and that date.

There were a two known large contracts for the S-101 by the U.S. Government totaling about 5,300 pistols. The ones attributed to the pistols obtained by the Marines was about 1600 of that larger number.

The barrels of both the pistol and the conversion kit should have a filler strip for when the weights are not being used.

The magazine is probably cadmium plated which was the then current finish for magazines. The pistol should also have a cadmium plated magazine but for the .22 LR round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Kimber 82

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Pic’s are up. Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 08:26 AM
Kimber 82

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
More pictures
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The box looks like I feel. A little worn around the edges. Pistol looks how I wish I felt!! Congrats on a very nice find!!
Old 06-10-2021, 12:27 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
really nice kit , hope you get this sorted out , i would love to find that set
Old 06-10-2021, 07:26 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Random Thoughts:

As far as practicality goes for a shooter (not a collector), 22 Short is a poor choice for a shooter like me. It is almost “unobtainable” today. In its day it made sense as you could shoot it in your basement or out behind your farm house and not upset the neighbors. But in today’s urban settings its use is pretty much left to firing ranges, just like 22Long Rifle. I do understand why collectors get excited by the conversion’s presence with a High Standard pistol, though.

When I was a teen in the 1950’s I could go to the local hardware store and buy a box of 22’s. I had the choice of Long Rifle, Longs, or Shorts. There was no ID required (I was obviously way under 18 years old). The cost was pennies per round, which easily fit my allowance budget. Now, this was not a rural community but urban Los Angeles California, Long Beach to be exact. There was even a shooting range (part of the high school ROTC program sponsored by the high school whose grounds hosted the indoor range which was open to the public one night a week. I could sell any gun to anyone that wanted to buy it (excluding known felons) without government intervention. I could walk out of any business selling rifles without a wait period. My dad and I bought a single shot bolt Sears rifle in those days, taking it home the same day. In those days the wait was a “cooling down” three days for handguns which makes sense whereas today’s California’s 10+ day wait makes no sense at all.

It’s a different world today and I lament the loss of days of old. But the pictured gun is a very nice example. Do shoot it!

LDBennett
Old 06-10-2021, 08:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
722,707 shipped as a catalog number 9119 on 7/16/1957 to account number 9872 on invoice number 13752.

There were just over a dozen shipments for this government order which occurred between 7/16/1957 and 11/15/1957. To date all the survivors reported to me from these invoices are "USMC / PROPERTY" marked and some have the conversion kits with them. I have two in my collection.

This pistol is from the first shipment on this invoice number. Later shipments had letter suffixes on the invoice number: 13752-A, 13752-B, etc. They did not use all letters between A and the last letter used. The serial numbers from the various shipments overlap with a few -A, -B, -C, -D and -G shipment serial numbers being lower than yours.

This order and the other larger government order mentioned previously for 9119's represent about a third of the total 9119 production.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:22 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Those early 101 Supermatics are generally well fitted glass like actions. That is a really nice kit and pretty rare. However years ago I saw two of these exact same boxed kits that Don Nygord/Nygord Precsion had in AZ. There must be some history on these cause I’m sure the various service Markmanship teams ordered a lot. Nygord told me when he shot on the USAF team everybody used HS’s . Anyway I’m sure John S. can enlighten us.

Rick
Old 06-10-2021, 08:23 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Excellent find Kimber 82. That is a real beaut!

Frank
Old 06-10-2021, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Spectacular
Old 06-10-2021, 01:39 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Helluva find. Now go shoot it and tell us how it does.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 AM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No that should remain unfired from its last range or base shooting session. Its too nice to be out of the safe.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:36 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfiresrule2 View Post
No that should remain unfired from its last range or base shooting session. Its too nice to be out of the safe.
Eh, they're made to be shot.

But that's for the owner to decide every time. I'd shoot it, and be really careful with it!