Oh no - my CZs don't shoot good anymore! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh no - my CZs don't shoot good anymore!

Finally got some range time today, in mild wind. My 455 Thumbhole Varmint struggled to hold an inch at 50 yards with a large variety of quality ammo, topping off with Lapua Center X. My other 455 Varmint was no better. Bags front and back, steady hold. Tried slowly adding torque to the action screws, no bueno.

If it happens a second time, am I looking at bedding & stronger DIP bottom metal?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How long since you last shot it?
Was it better then?
Same ammo it once did well with?
Old 05-19-2021, 07:07 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
About a year, some of the ammo was the same (same lots too), some was new and it shot better in some nasty wind back then.
I did have a few moments of success, but the day was 95% disappointing, 100% frustrating.
And to add insult to injury, I lost a days pay to do it... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I gotta ask. In the boredom of the pandemic , did you do a deep clean ?
Old 05-19-2021, 07:37 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question rust

People get rusty too?
Old 05-19-2021, 07:38 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I found that my 452 which once was a tack driver, had degenerated and didn't shoot so well. I started playing around with stock bolt torque and found that small changes made a big difference. So, I think that changes in temperature and humidity will affect accuracy. That means bedding the stock is required, or as I did, get an MDT aluminum chassis.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just last week I had opportunity to pull out my long neglected 'pretty much 50yd bench gun'. I set up a casual rest, shoulder held, settled in, shot some warm ups and started, well, tried to start, on the 50yd NRL swinger, quarter size......Whattttt. Went left to the half-dollar size and finally connected. Huh. Finally got consistent hits but Not Tidy! So I moved right, same deal, finally got enough to move down but more than once thought,"what a waste of time and ammo!". Stuck to it, ended up finally getting repeated hits on the dime size and then a few on the next smaller.
And it wasn't particularly windy. Guess it was me.
I was about ready to take up slingshot golf.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:04 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No deep clean badabing. Its been in a corner of the safe since I last shot it, not even a dry patch down the barrel. I paid a lot for that RWS lube.... ha ha.

And it could definitely be the shooter - the only shooting I've done in a year has been with airguns in the basement.
Still, it just doesnt feel like it was me.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:05 PM
randyman_ar

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Are you shooting scoped? or sights? Pretty sure you've already addressed that part of the equation though. Just my 1st thought. How many rounds of each brand did you fire before switching? That's all I've got..
Old 05-19-2021, 10:15 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nut behind the bang switch is rusty.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:22 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kragman, Happiness is all about managing expectations. Change your expectations for when you go to the range. It is a lot like fishing. If you go fishing only to catch fish, and perhaps just big fish, you will more than likely be frustrated and discouraged. If on the other hand, you go fishing with the intent to have an adventure, enjoy the great outdoors, or spend quality time with a friend, then you will likely never be disappointed. Go to the range with similar goals and you can and will almost always have a perfect day. If you go to only shoot quarter inch groups, you will most likely not have a good day. Now, for those quarter inch groups, I would recommend that you stop torqueing your action bolt and invest in a good bedding job. Most likely the stock has been affected by humidity, temperature, etc. Also, I usually store my ammo in a cooler so that the ambient temperature doesn't affect it (much) either. Work with one variable at a time until you solve the mystery. And then be prepared for the need to start all over again the next trip to the range. Enjoy the journey. Burt
Old 05-19-2021, 11:42 PM
Stubee

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I’d take some more time & keep shooting it. Frustration doesn’t help and I’ve had some of that.

I bought a new 453 Varmint quite awhile ago and did carefully clean it with only a .177 solid rod & patches, and having read it can take time to “season” the barrel I wasn’t too disappointed at first with what I called poor groups, like > MOA at 50 yards in decent conditions and quite often laughably greater than MOA. My disappointment meter ticked up as I ran a few hundred rounds of ammo through it and had scattered and very few sub MOA groups, like one miraculous group outta six bad ones with ammo that shot better in my old 541S. Heck, my 581 didn’t spray shots like the CZ with such regularity.

I pondered starting over with a new rifle but instead got new Protektor bags this year and shot it with 125 rounds of Tenex, Eley Club, R50 and other decent ammo. It wasn’t much better so I reconnoitered and read some more stuff. I ran a few patches through it and then loosened the action screws and took it to the range again with my torque driver and set out to test it starting with only about 17 ft lb torque F/R and moving up. Some of the best ammo—Tenex—isn’t favored by this gun but I had a few boxes of one I’d never even heard of, SK Long Range Rifle Match, so took it along as an “oh why not?” and that was the ticket. I got sub MOA groups @50 yards in 6 of 7 groups, with an average of .356” and 4 of those 7 groups <.300”. It’s gonna be tough to view my scribbled up target as I turned it upright at the range to fit four targets & the fouling groups were only the ones circled, but I’ll include what I was getting with an ammo my 453 didn’t favor just for comparison.

My rifle liked low ft lb torque & this SK, and maybe it just finally “settled in” bit it at the least showed me promise. This is a bone stock 453V. 36991EFD-929B-4EDB-ABD2-8E33A1FBA829_1621485591847.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE275EC4-6696-463E-8FD3-1BCF6EEB7CCB_1621485614819.jpeg (401.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:49 AM
wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I did not know bottom metal can help accuracy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2021, 03:38 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well my 455 can quite easily group sub moa at 50 and 100 yards, however like the OP I was disappointed at first, mine particular one seem to take around 70-100 rounds to truly settle in.

Also there is an element of being out of practice.

I find it quite handy to keep my empties and use them as snap caps for dry fire practice. Believe me this helps

I use a cheapo BSA rear bag filled with rice and a basic Harris non canting bipod that belongs to Mrs Disco.

Also I would advise not looking on the forum too much, as you will start to become a group chaser and get sucked down a rabbit hole.

[IMG][/IMG]

After doing this group at 100 I walked away, to preserve my sanity

Quitting while you are ahead is not the same as quitting.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:14 AM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks all!

To address a few points -

I get the fishing analogy (and I usually ascribe to it), but from a mechanical point of view something is weird.
I am leaning pretty hard towards "shooter variable" since I know that rifle shoots well, and I know I'm rusty. Just having a hard time thinking that I'm THAT rusty.

I mentioned the bottom metal because theres no telling if my rifles will like light, medium or heavy pressure on the action.
If it needs to be heavy, I'd lije to have bottom metal that stands up to it.

Even before this happened, I had been considering a bedding job for one of those rifles. Maybe I'm learning that they could both use one.

I will definitely shoot them again before deciding anything. I hope to get more range time this year, so I will plan to bring them each time, along with some others.
Looks like its gonna be the Summer of CZ for me..... &#x1f4aa;