Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:24 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52D Scope Mount Help

I have mounted a Leupold scope on my 52D using an EGW alloy rail. The scope is back as far as it will go. I would like it to go back some more so I can be more comfortable when shooting.
Any suggestions for a modification or build will be appreciated.

Bob
Old 05-14-2021, 12:46 PM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bob, I cut the front part of my EGW rail off to allow the scope to be mounted farther back.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:37 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Put both rings on the front part of the scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2021, 10:32 AM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one of Ken Vianni's scope rails back in 2005 IIRC, for a CMP M52D. It's an excellent mount, very stable, with plenty of room. I've wished I'd bought another couple of them since Ken stopped making these rails, or that someone else would develop and start making something similar. With all the CNC machine shops that are looking for a niche item they could make & sell in today's market, you'd think someone would pick up where Ken left off and start making and selling these scope rails again.

I've got an EGW cantilevered scope rail for the 52 on a homemade sporter with a Weaver V16 on it. While it seems fairly stable, I'd prefer to have something more conventional - like two Weaver-style bases, one on each receiver ring.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:34 PM
68hoyt

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I understand member dokey makes a mount similar to Kenís and he also performs the Kenyon trigger mod on 52c and d trigger groups
Old 05-15-2021, 02:29 PM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried to contact dokey about the trigger modification, but didn't hear back from him. Then it turned out the 52D prone rifle I bought already had the Kenyon-style trigger mod done, and since my other two 52s have also had this done by Karl himself, I didn't try again. I didn't know that he was making the Vianni-style scope mount though - will try to PM him here if I can find one of the posts he's replied to. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Old 05-15-2021, 04:54 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
Put both rings on the front part of the scope.
Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered doing that. I have the scope as far back as it will go and will be taking it to the range when we get have a calm day and try it again. If it needs to be moved more I may try your suggestion.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:55 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
Bob, I cut the front part of my EGW rail off to allow the scope to be mounted farther back.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:07 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I bought one of Ken Vianni's scope rails back in 2005 IIRC, for a CMP M52D. It's an excellent mount, very stable, with plenty of room. I've wished I'd bought another couple of them since Ken stopped making these rails, or that someone else would develop and start making something similar. With all the CNC machine shops that are looking for a niche item they could make & sell in today's market, you'd think someone would pick up where Ken left off and start making and selling these scope rails again.

I've got an EGW cantilevered scope rail for the 52 on a homemade sporter with a Weaver V16 on it. While it seems fairly stable, I'd prefer to have something more conventional - like two Weaver-style bases, one on each receiver ring.
Thanks for the reply. I have seen pics of Ken's rail system and that is nice. They are about impossible to find and if you do they are a lot of $$$.

I have the EWG rail and made a bracket that attaches to the rail and the rear peep sight mount which does stabilize the rail but I need a rail that is 1" or so longer. Not sure if the EGW steel rail would give me the extra length I am looking for.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:10 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hoyt View Post
I understand member dokey makes a mount similar to Kenís and he also performs the Kenyon trigger mod on 52c and d trigger groups
Thanks for the reply. If I see one of his reply's I will try to PM him.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:14 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I tried to contact dokey about the trigger modification, but didn't hear back from him. Then it turned out the 52D prone rifle I bought already had the Kenyon-style trigger mod done, and since my other two 52s have also had this done by Karl himself, I didn't try again. I didn't know that he was making the Vianni-style scope mount though - will try to PM him here if I can find one of the posts he's replied to. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Thanks for the reply. I watch to see if you get any info.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If memory serves me the EGW steel rail for the Model 52 is about an inch longer than the one they make out of aluminum. My steel one is out having some radius work done on it otherwise I would give you an exact measurement. EGW gives the specs for their mounts in their website. The steel one is very strong and heavy.

Rick H.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:10 PM
JOKER708
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Just pulled up EGW site — steel does look a lot longer and more expensive but might fix problem - some offset rings would help - thx
Old 05-17-2021, 03:17 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
If memory serves me the EGW steel rail for the Model 52 is about an inch longer than the one they make out of aluminum. My steel one is out having some radius work done on it otherwise I would give you an exact measurement. EGW gives the specs for their mounts in their website. The steel one is very strong and heavy.

Rick H.
Thank you, appreciate the info.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:21 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER708 View Post
Just pulled up EGW site ó steel does look a lot longer and more expensive but might fix problem - some offset rings would help - thx
Thanks for the reply. When it stops raining I will try my existing set up again then decide what I will try. I have gotten some good suggestions so far and appreciate the input.