Geco 22 lr? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:08 PM
larry2kat
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Geco 22 lr?

A local auction has several boxes of Geco 22 lr solid point up for bid. I'm not familiar with this brand. Anyone have experience with it?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2021, 08:11 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot several cases of it. It's my favorite plinking ammo. I'm not a paper shooter, so can't speak for it's absolute accuracy.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Geco = Gustav Genschow and Company, a German budget/value ammunition manufacturer.

I once heard 'Geco' described as being German for "not great, not bad." That's a succinct way of putting it that I won't dispute.

It ain't target ammo, it ain't Thunderfarts either. I think of it as being at the higher end of bulk (available in bricks) ammo. Accuracy isn't match, nor have I had any problems with it functioning.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2021, 09:41 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I find it to be on par or maybe a little better than CCI SV in my Anschutz and Suhls. I would consider it at the higher quality level of plinking ammo.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ive shot a brick or two. When the shelve were full its not something i would buy, but now if the price was reasonable, $00.15 @ or less I would buy it.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:16 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The GECO I have shot was an observable notch better than CCI SV & MM. I pull it out when trying to best my own shooting (or when plinking with my basic guns against a friend with his CZ.) But it is really greasy (whatever).
Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The newer RWS Geco is I mere shadow of its former self, RWS admitted as much as it was previously their best selling brand.

I went to an RWS testing day many years ago and the rep even admitted they made very little money on Geco as it was so bloody good, there was little point it buying club or target rifle let alone R50.

It was in fact proven when at the 50 yard test range there was practically no discernable difference between Geco and Target rifle/R50.

Then over night they changed the carton, bullet heads an they seemed to be federal bulk. We where in a comp a few month later and not one 10/22 wouldn't cycle a complete mag with this trash.

The importer was so embarrassed he actually took all that ammo back and reimbursed us with RWS target rifle to say sorry for this ammo messing up 40 competitors day at the 1500 shoot.

Sorry to get all riled up but Geco was brilliant and at only 2:50 a box it was clearly not making the money men enough profits. this seems to be a pattern that has plagued the firearms industry throughout the world since the turn of the millennium.

Its sooty and will not function reliably in a 10/22, but for a bolt action it will do fine just watch out for inconsistent velocities and poorly made bullet heads that spin in their case!

RWS Club took over the mantlet of being the default competition round in gallery rifle UK until the arrival of SK std+

Last edited by Discontinued; 04-28-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:27 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
The newer RWS Geco is I mere shadow of its former self, RWS admitted as much as it was previously their best selling brand.

I went to an RWS testing day many years ago and the rep even admitted they made very little money on Geco as it was so bloody good, there was little point it buying club or target rifle let alone R50.

It was in fact proven when at the 50 yard test range there was practically no discernable difference between Geco and Target rifle/R50.

Then over night they changed the carton, bullet heads an they seemed to be federal bulk. We where in a comp a few month later and not one 10/22 wouldn't cycle a complete mag with this trash.

The importer was so embarrassed he actually took all that ammo back and reimbursed us with RWS target rifle to say sorry for this ammo messing up 40 competitors day at the 1500 shoot.

Sorry to get all riled up but Geco was brilliant and at only 2:50 a box it was clearly not making the money men enough profits. this seems to be a pattern that has plagued the firearms industry throughout the world since the turn of the millennium.

Its sooty and will not function reliably in a 10/22, but for a bolt action it will do fine just watch out for inconsistent velocities and poorly made bullet heads that spin in their case!

RWS Club took over the mantlet of being the default competition round in gallery rifle UK until the arrival of SK std+

"Discontinued's" post is really a great illustration of why lot testing is so important. The lot of GECO .22 "bolt" (packaged in the boxes that have an illustration of the shooter in standing/offhand position) that I lucked into (I believe the lot# is 71T11) shot WAY above it's price point, and I was fortunate to snag a case of it at the time. I could have sworn it was R-50 in GECO boxes! I have not shot any recent production GECO though, so perhaps quality has slipped a bit since then? I dunno.... However, I do know the GECO "bolt" ammo was selling for around $20/brick from TargetSports as recently as a year or so ago, but like a dummy I failed to stock up on it at that time.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:33 AM
Gus1957

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought 3 cases from Target Sports too at $18.5 /Brick and it's super accurate in both my Walther UIT & Ruger Precision .22.

I bought a case of GECO Rifle Match for $20/Brick I haven't opened yet.

I'm thinking those days are gone of cheap .22's. Posted prices from suppliers lately have been $80/Brick for CCI or Aguila. And it sells out quickly. Auction prices seem to be running $80-$100/Brick..
Old 04-28-2021, 11:01 AM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I've evaluated three different modern lots of GECO 'Bolt'; individual cartridges were identical in appearance to my Norma TAC-22.

All were shot at 100 yds with two different very accurate .22RF rifles; naturally none of the lots were quite as good as various lots of Norma TAC-22 - as expected, due to the price point.

One lot was somewhat inferior in accuracy to CCI SV, one lot matched, and one lot outperformed somewhat.
All in all, an excellent budget ammo; perfect for casual shooting for those rimfires of mine that prefer it about as much as CCI SV.

Edit: Looking at my records, those lots averaged 2" at 100 yds; as a comparison, three different lots of Norma TAC-22 averaged 1.6" at 100 yds.
Not bad at all considering the 'bulk' price; I would certainly buy more if available.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 04-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:18 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Geco I tried was their 22LR, base option.

It was trash, averaging 1005 fps out of my 16.5" CZ455
Code:
Average	1005.97fps
Highest	1063.97fps
Lowest	943.43fps
Ext. Spread	120.54fps
Std. Dev	24.47fps

Results on paper were erratic at 50yd. I dodged the proverbial bullet by not getting this stuff when guns.com was blowing it out @ 183/case early last year.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Results on paper were erratic at 50yd. I dodged the proverbial bullet by not getting this stuff when guns.com was blowing it out @ 183/case early last year.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Wish I had seen that deal instead of the CCI SV cases I bought.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:26 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmc View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Wish I had seen that deal instead of the CCI SV cases I bought.
I had just received a case of Aguila SuperExtra SV @ $174 shipped from Midsouth Shooters on from a 12/16/19 order, a case of CCI SV @ 209.90 from Brownells on 1/13/20. I saw no reason to consider another case of ammo when I was still working on a case from August 2019.

I was already "flush with ammo" or so I thought, right before lockdown.

All of those deals were posted to the 22LR on sale thread.