Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:56 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sad demise of .22 short

I always loved the .22 short and after many hours of thought I was wondering why this cartridge is not more popular, it actually makes me a little sad than virtually no modern manufacturer produces rifle in this caliber any longer.

the .22 short is possibly the most efficient rifle round ever created, and for 25 yard to 50 is more than adequate for making holes in paper.

As a youth like most shooters I was a sufferer from "magnum-itis"

As I age I think less is more, in theory a lot of a .22 lr case is air and a .22 short seems to be a far more effective round, again if only someone made a .22short match grade ammunition, or even chambered a rifle in this cartridge which by rights should be far cheaper than its bigger brother.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently burned off some shorts that I acquired. Eley made from the 80's.
Excellent ammo and very accurate in my 457.
I remember getting my hands on some Winchester hp shorts high velocity about 30years ago. They were mustard on rabbits and packed a punch. The 27gn bullet was easily arrested compared to a 40gn bullet.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:34 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would guess that the decrease in material costs between shorts an LRs was de minimus , and the real cost in quality ammo was tooling, and QC, which probably costs more since they are smaller and so tolerances might be tighter.

Dont they shoot 22 short in pistol competition anymore?

I think you can still buy a new Browning SA in 22 short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2021, 07:43 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What holds the Short down is that 29 gr bullet. If we used the same case (plenty of room for modern powders) with a 35-40 grain LR bullet we would have an excellent round! Cheaper to make too since brass would almost be cut in half. With much less air space in the case accuracy could be better than either the Short, Long (a real problem child) or the LR. What would we call a cross between the Short and the Long Rifle?

Shlong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 04-26-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:53 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only use shorts when that is all that will chamber in my gun. I saw multiple loads in 22 short from CCI just last week at one of the larger gun shops. Including Target 22 short. I also have a German single shot target pistol that only takes Longs! CCI came though for me and I stocked up big time when I got the opportunity. I see ZERO benefit in either of these. More efficient, My eye! More a pain in the neck if you want my 2c.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-26-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
CCI still makes shorts, at least three different loads. The CB Short, Short Target and Short HVHP. I have no idea if you can find any right now. For a while there shorts were all that you COULD find as all the long rifle was grabbed quickly. Then the shorts disappeared too. I used to use the short hp's on bullfrogs in the old Mossberg single shot that was my grandfathers.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
What holds the Short down is that 29 gr bullet. If we used the same case (plenty of room for modern powders) with a 35-40 grain LR bullet we would have an excellent round! Cheaper to make too since brass would almost be cut in half. With much less air space in the case accuracy could be better than either the Short, Long (a real problem child) or the LR. What would we call a cross between the Short and the Long Rifle?

Shlong!
It has been simply called the "Long" for many,. many years...

Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Isn't the Browning SA available in 22 short? Any tube fed will feed them and I just modified a Ruger BX1 mag for my RAR.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:09 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not shoot them too often, but I have quite a few Regular Shorts and CBs..They have their place in certain Firearms I own.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:11 AM
Stockcrafter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One big advantage with the short is less recoil. Many years ago I had the opportunity to shoot a fellow club member's newly acquired High Standard pistol - I believe it was called the Olympic model - which was chambered in .22 short. Where I noticed a big improvement compared to my .22 LR Supermatic Citation was in timed and rapid fire. His gun was very quick to re-acquire the target! I seem to remember that .22 short was also used in Olympic rapid fire competition for the same reason.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
As I age I think less is more, in theory a lot of a .22 lr case is air and a .22 short seems to be a far more effective round, again if only someone made a .22short match grade ammunition, or even chambered a rifle in this cartridge which by rights should be far cheaper than its bigger brother.
Emphasis added. But it never is.

Betamax may be better than VHS, and a MacIntosh was better than IBM, but if you want something hardly anyone uses, you'll pay for it.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
It has been simply called the "Long" for many,. many years...
Go back and read what I wrote please

I said use the short case and the Long Rifle bullet! The Long and Long Rifle were both black powder originally. Because of this history most loadings of Long or Long Rifle use well less than half a case of powder (I have been taking them apart for 60 years).

You can learn a lot by dissecting some ammo occasionally.

In the design I am pointing out you could get close to 100% load density which is supposed to be a good thing. Price of brass would be slashed by half or so. Could be done on today's machines with just a change of dies. Size of a brick of ammo would be close to half what it is (nice for woods or desert bumming).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Do not be sucked in by the word 'Target' on the label. They are hardly that!
I havent seen SV Shorts in a very long time and the idea of using shorts in an overly 'long chamber' (LR) doesnt sit well with me from decades of target CF cast bullet work.
CB Shorts or Longs have chrono'ed the same for us, but given the Long fills more chamber they are my choice. They can give some dandy short range groups then drop one with a fffft light charge.....or not have enough beans to expand the brass on ignition to seal the chamber; thus gas back.
I agree that the Short should be a more efficient package, just as the 45ACP is compared to the voluminous 45 'Long' Colt.
Fwiw, Ive read many accounts from the early 1900's regarding the target shooters and gun cranks of the day. One of 'the notables' had a rifle made up with a barrel twist of 1:16 (the std for 22LR for the 40gr. bullet) but chambered in 22Short (of which the std rifling was 1:20ish for the 29gr. bullet). He did quite well with it in competition. Was that due to the twist or that he was a keen competitor? Sadly, at this point, I shall not be trialing that notion, hope someone with some skills will.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:45 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Aguila subsonic is a 60 grain bullet stuffed into a short case. Need 1:9 twist where a short needs 1:20 twist. A tube fed rifle could be bored and relined with the proper twist and chamber.
A 40 grain short probably wont come about due to people trying to load them into existing firearms like a rifle chambered for shorts only. Same with 38 spl. It could easily be cut down to 9mm case dimensions.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2 yrs ago?, accuracy of a modern box of shorts was very poor in a proven rifle so I gave em away.