.22 caliber under $150? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
.22 caliber under $150?

I do not need an air rifle but I want one to mess around with. Is there anything out there decent under $150.00? I've looked at the Gamo Whisper rifles online along with a couple other brands but since I know nothing about them and may not actually like one I want to start out on a low budget.

thanks in advance
Old 03-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Uberti3220
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to look at Pyranid Air and Airgun Depot(same outfit), they have a large selection and have people to talk to online. They have good deals most of the time and are good to deal with. Look at the Hatsan brand guns for the springers they will have some in your price range. Also go to Gateway to Airguns forum and look around, join and ask questions before buying. The people there are always willing to help.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
.22 airgun

thank you very much for the info. I will check them all out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2021, 07:18 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to Crosmans website and look at what they have to offer. If you find something use code AGNATION and you will receive 25% off on non sale items and if you buy on a Friday you may get free shipping. Not sure if that is still available but the last time I checked the code worked. I have a Gamo but I am suggesting Crosman because it has incredible customer service as well as parts availability. I have never had problems with Gamo CS but they usually require replacement parts to be sent to a FFL. Also if you are not in a hurry you can visit the Fields Supply website and get on their mailing list. About once a month they have great sales on Hatsan sir guns.

Last edited by profsrgary; 03-26-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: addl. info
Old 03-26-2021, 08:39 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I second browsing Pyramyd Air.

In your price range I'd lean toward Turkish-made guns (Hatsan etc). In that price range I haven't had good luck with the Chinese-made stuff from Benjamin and Crosman. Be aware that none of the inexpensive airguns tend to have the best QC; a lemon is a real possibility, so a retailer/manufacturer with good customer service is an important consideration.

I used to be very into airguns. I will say that accuracy-wise it tends to be 'you get what you pay for.' I currently have a Benjamin Ironsides in .22. It's very powerful and has a gas piston, but I'm yet to find a pellet for it that it groups decently. Didn't have that problem with Dianas...

A couple notes:

1) airgun manufacturers, especially at the low end, tend to exaggerate velocity ratings. Try to find actual chronograph readings paired with pellet weights.

2) And speaking of velocity, nothing will wreck your accuracy faster than using too light of a pellet and achieving transsonic or supersonic speeds.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
.22 airgun

thanks for the advice everyone. I will follow up on it all.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:30 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My advice would be to go to one of the various air gun websites and find a tutorial on the TYPE of air gun before you consider a purchase. Every type of air gun has its pros and cons and that can make a huge difference for your intended shooting.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:10 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I get the impression you're pretty new to airguns (please forgive me if I'm wrong). You're fairly likely to end up with a spring-piston airgun in that price range, so I just thought I'd mention something that can greatly help accuracy issues with some "springers," the artillery hold. Basically it's a very loose hold that helps with repeatability (in the context accuracy, or more properly precision) in spring-piston airguns.

To steal from airgun guru Tom Gaylord:

"When you fire a spring-piston gun, the pellet doesn't start to move until the piston comes to a stop. By that time, the gun is already moving in recoil. It's also vibrating in all directions. If you were to try to restrain it by holding the stock firmly, you would establish a vibration node that would send the muzzle to a different place. Since you can never repeat a hold exactly, you'll throw your shots all over the place if you hold the rifle tightly. If you just let it float on your hand, it will settle down and start grouping to the best of its capability."

That come from Pyramyd Air's blog here: The Artillery Hold, and there's also a great little video explaining it and how to do it.

Now, I have had a couple spring-piston guns (although well outside your price range) that didn't seem to need the artillery hold. But I've also had several that seemed really finicky or inconsistent until I used an artillery hold, and then they magically calmed right down. Just thought I'd mention it, because in some guns it makes a dramatic difference and can save you some serious headaches and frustration
Old 03-27-2021, 11:39 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You would be surprised how accurate the cheap plastic stock pump up air rifles with rifling are for around $50. The $100 springers.... not so much in my experience. Up your $$$ to $200 and get a cheap PCP.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:39 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You would be surprised how accurate the cheap plastic stock pump up air rifles with rifling are for around $50. The $100 springers.... not so much in my experience. Up your $$$ to $200 and get a cheap PCP.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
.22 caliber air rifle

thanks again everyone for the advice. after reading and looking at everything I can find on the topic to stay within my budget it seems Crosman and Gamo are the choices for the gas piston rifles. like I stated in the beginning...this is something that I may never actually stick with so keeping the price low is important. I'd rather buy directly from the manufacture for warranty purposes BUT, that is not sealed in concrete.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:56 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a Crossman Nitro and report back. I've had two Gamos in .177 and neither is consistenly consistent One is a Rocket springer and the other a new fangled Wisper with the gas piston. I like the Rocket better because the fat silencer on the wisper is akward and the Rocket shoots better overall. It's not supposed to do that!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:33 PM
bortle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun shows sometimes have a few laying around. Picked up a rws 52 at the last show I was at.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:37 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Go to Crosmans website and look at what they have to offer. If you find something use code AGNATION and you will receive 25% off on non sale items and if you buy on a Friday you may get free shipping.
I hear they no longer offer Friday free shipping.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:53 AM
PuddleJumper65
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your new and just want info overload, check out ďAndyís airgun review ď on YouTube, British fella that has really good info ,, Iím new and found him to be great for reviews and general knowledge,,
And I second the Diana , I picked up a Air Arms Tx200 for Christmas, itís a spinger, very hard to shoot well as said up top, wish I had gone another rought now,, and if you shooting a scope springers will kill a scope if not made for one..
Good luck 🍀
PJ