Building material costs - What am I in for this year? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:51 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Building material costs - What am I in for this year?

3-4 years ago 2x4s were 2.49, plywood was stacked high at the lumber mill.

Last year, had to finish a pole barn and paid 7.49 per 2x4 and 35 bucks per sheet of barn steel, plywood supply was really low at the lumber mill and starting to get lower.

I havent been to the lumber mill yet this year, but I have another pole barn on my to-do list this spring.

Prices ever stablize? Materials in better supply now or are building supplys just like ammo now?
Old 03-25-2021, 03:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím thinking of Hardie boarding my house, but will hold off until things settle down a bit.
......Tom Petty
Old 03-25-2021, 04:04 PM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
prices on all commodities is through the roof right now. Steel, lumber and even plastics are way high at the moment. We are seeing our suppliers all increasing costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2021, 04:27 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
prices on all commodities is through the roof right now. Steel, lumber and even plastics are way high at the moment. We are seeing our suppliers all increasing costs.
How about availability.
In the fall I was still able to get anything I needed, it was just really pricey.
I'm trying to gauge if I should start bringing home materials now because in 2 months they wont be there.

The price increases screwed up my budgeting.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:42 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Pretty solid shortage on fiberglass components. The main extruder in north America is in Mexico and powered my Texan natural gass..... so it will be june until they is hopefully caught up.

Know a few tub and spa building companies 30k lbds behind schedule. And that's just in the last few weeks. My December glass order is scheduled for april..... that's only 3.5 months longer than usual. Prices has gone up 8-10% every month since November.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:53 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Border with Canada is still closed, has something to do with it.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:40 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My daughter's family is about 75% through construction of a new, about 2,200 sq. ft house. Lumber package was locked in at $53,000. It has increased for the same package 20% according to the builder. Good that she locked in!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Etpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Iím thinking of Hardie boarding my house, but will hold off until things settle down a bit.
14 years ago we decided Hardieplank was the best decision for siding on the house we were having built. Even though I live in the PNW about 30 miles north of Seattle I was still a little worried about fire because I live in the woods. An even greater fear, when it came to siding choices, was degradation of the siding over time. This happens primarily from moisture, and where I live this was a concern.
Recently I had to have the outer wall siding pierced in order to install a generator hookup. So I got a good look at the worst place for the siding, the north facing end of the house. The siding is in as new condition. I could not be happier with my decision to use Hardieplank siding. I also used the water proof Hardieboard under the tiles in the showers in both bathrooms. I think the stuff is great. Boy, I sound like a commercial. Anyway, I like the stuff. Still waiting on that check from Hardie though....
Eric
Old 03-25-2021, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etpm View Post
14 years ago we decided Hardieplank was the best decision for siding on the house we were having built. Even though I live in the PNW about 30 miles north of Seattle I was still a little worried about fire because I live in the woods. An even greater fear, when it came to siding choices, was degradation of the siding over time. This happens primarily from moisture, and where I live this was a concern.
Recently I had to have the outer wall siding pierced in order to install a generator hookup. So I got a good look at the worst place for the siding, the north facing end of the house. The siding is in as new condition. I could not be happier with my decision to use Hardieplank siding. I also used the water proof Hardieboard under the tiles in the showers in both bathrooms. I think the stuff is great. Boy, I sound like a commercial. Anyway, I like the stuff. Still waiting on that check from Hardie though....
Eric
With my current 100 year old cedar shingles, the north side is in the best shape. The south with the sun takes a beating.
......Tom Petty
Old 03-25-2021, 08:23 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I checked prices at Homedepot today. $33 for a sheet of 7/16 osb, I'm not playing. The roll off roof shed for my telescope will have to wait a year or two.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:38 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It won't end with lumber. 3+Trillion $ pumped into economy....all that extra $ chasing same amount of products... not to mention Buttigieg favors a 50 cent per gallon fed tax on gas/diesel per year. I'm afraid we are going to see record inflation. Just my 2 cents worth....
Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All the devastation across the country from natural disasters making for higher demand, the 'virus', the shutdowns, etc......I aint hopeful it is going to change any time soon.
Just heard about someone having a 'good for 30 days' materials quote from one of the big-box stores for a big project, missed it by a day and it is now 40% higher.
I had been planning on some 'improvements' this year but hate getting robbed.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:34 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
I checked prices at Homedepot today. $33 for a sheet of 7/16 osb, I'm not playing. The roll off roof shed for my telescope will have to wait a year or two.
Yikes.
I want to say I bought a stack of sheets at 7 or 8 bucks a sheet just a few years ago when I was doing an out-building roof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 11:30 PM
smatda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A guy I watch on YouTube says give it six weeks. Same thing happened to the lumber industry that happened to the ammo makers...plants shut down, inventories dried up, etc, etc. I talked to a realtor last week who said new construction in my area was costing $260 per sq. ft. which is unreal.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:30 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just like everything else (i.e. Ammo) the pandemic has impacted supplies, lumber has a very long supply chain and the impact at one end takes a long time to ripple thru.

Just as with other things that have been impacted, unless you absolutely have to, now is not the time to buy.

Increases in building materials costs are being passed thru to home purchasers.